Colchester United v Tottenham Hotspur (24-09-19) (7.45pm)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss the latest matches, our players and any transfer news surrounding Spurs.

Registration only takes a minute and removes most of the adverts. You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Borodin55

Carpe Diem
I don't particularly care about the League Cup (would be nice though), I do care, a fucking lot about not being able to beat Colchester. No matter what competition it's in. In the end it's unacceptable.
And certainly NOT something that anybody could turn into being motivational.... :pochfacepalm:

Register to remove

Poch knows we cannot keep competing for all competitions every year. We don't have the depth and if certain players get injured we have a big problem. He needs to rotate and maybe abandon the less important trophy. His eyes are on the big one after last year final. We have the know how as a team to go all the way(like Liverpool had against us) and the coach knows that its a big opportunity.
Colchester dude, it was fucking Colchester

Borodin55

Carpe Diem
On a lighter note, Rochdale minutes away from holding Utd to a penalty shoot out....Nah...they couldn't...could they ??

Nah...lost on penalties. :(

Last edited:

Register to remove

bus-conductor

Vote YES to INFORMATIVE in the “off topic” poll
It's the very least of our priorities. I'm not a Pochettino apologist by any stretch but he has to prioritise, and he has to get some games into all the squad players, otherwise when you need them they have no match sharpness at all.

Yes, they are a L2 team, but they knocked out another PL club last round. They worked their bollocks off at just trying to keep us out.

We didn't play scintillating, productive football but, despite playing an almost complete reserve side, with 4 academy players, two making debuts, we had 74% possession whilst not allowing them a single shot on target in 94 minutes.

This wasn't an embarrassingly bad performance, that would have involved us being outplayed, shook up, roughed up (like a few of our other cup games in recent seasons Newport, Rochdale etc) and skanking fortunate results.

We just failed to create much of quality. We had Moura (who creates fuck all for anyone else), Alli (who's been out a while until recently and bumbles about anyway) and Parrott, a 17yo kid as forwards.

Don't really know why Poch decided we needed 3CB's for a game like this, it was daft, and we could have had an extra attacking body out there. But nothing embarrassing happened, we totally dominated, couldn't break them down and lost on pens.

It's the very least of our priorities. I'm not a Pochettino apologist by any stretch but he has to prioritise, and he has to get some games into all the squad players, otherwise when you need them they have no match sharpness at all.

Yes, they are a L2 team, but they knocked out another PL club last round. They worked their bollocks off at just trying to keep us out.

We didn't play scintillating, productive football but, despite playing an almost complete reserve side, with 4 academy players, two making debuts, we had 74% possession whilst not allowing them a single shot on target in 94 minutes.

This wasn't an embarrassingly bad performance, that would have involved us being outplayed, shook up, roughed up (like a few of our other cup games in recent seasons Newport, Rochdale etc) and skanking fortunate results.

We just failed to create much of quality. We had Moura (who creates fuck all for anyone else), Alli (who's been out a while until recently and bumbles about anyway) and Parrott, a 17yo kid as forwards.

Don't really know why Poch decided we needed 3CB's for a game like this, it was daft, and we could have had an extra attacking body out there. But nothing embarrassing happened, we totally dominated, couldn't break them down and lost on pens.
That's fair enough but,for me, the problem was having (I believe) only 3 shots on target and 2 of them were weak efforts. Doesn't include hitting the woodwork I know but still.

bus-conductor

Look at tonights results, Burton have knocked out Bournemouth, Oxford have smashed West Ham, Sunderland have put out Sheff Utd, and ManU and Wolves could only draw at home against lower league sides.

Look at tonights results, Burton have knocked out Bournemouth, Oxford have smashed West Ham, Sunderland have put out Sheff Utd, and ManU and Wolves could only draw at home against lower league sides.
Hardly any serious team gives a fuck about this nonsens cup and neither should we. The best thing about it is that you can give the likes of Parrott some serious game time.

bus-conductor

Sounds like something Brendan Rodgers said a few years back. Spurs Bear. Paul Lambert. Jumpers for goalposts.
The point I'm trying to make is that it really wasn't a catastrophically bad performance. We weren't outplayed, or even out battled, we were just a bit fucking toothless, but we have that problem most of the fucking time, it was hardly going to be improved by playing 3CB's, 2 CM's who are for different reasons not regulars, and Moura, Alli and Parrott up top was it?

Five

Supporter
Shiver me timbers
The point I'm trying to make is that it really wasn't a catastrophically bad performance. We weren't outplayed, or even out battled, we were just a bit fucking toothless, but we have that problem most of the fucking time, it was hardly going to be improved by playing 3CB's, 2 CM's who are for different reasons not regulars, and Moura, Alli and Parrott up top was it?
You're a real pain in the hole at times.

Is that our level now? West Ham and Sheffield Utd???

We played like absolute shit, stop trying to pretend Colchester produced some incredible defensive display and we dominated, like come on mate.

Register to remove

Top Bottom