Club Or Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Would you prefer your country won a world cup or Spurs won the league?

• Club

Votes: 79 85.9%
  • Country

Votes: 13 14.1%

• Total voters
Maybe you could pop round and try to get a fecking tune out of the mrs.
Reminded me of an old joke....
Since by Jewish law a wife is entitled to sexual pleasure, they decide to
 consult their Rabbi.
The Rabbi listens to their story, strokes his beard, and makes the
following suggestion: 'Hire a strapping young man. While the two of you are
 making love, have the young man wave a towel over you. That will help your 
wife fantasize and should bring on an orgasm.'
They go home and follow the Rabbi's advice. They hire a handsome young man 
and he waves a towel over them as they make love. It does not help and the
 wife is still unsatisfied. Perplexed, they go back to the Rabbi.
"Okay,' he says to the husband, "Try it reversed. Have the young man make
love to your wife and you wave the towel over them."
Once again, they follow the Rabbi's advice. They go home and hire the same 
strapping young man.
The young man gets into bed with the wife and the husband waves the towel.
The young man gets to work with great enthusiasm and soon she has an
 enormous, room-shaking, ear-splitting screaming orgasm.
The husband smiles, looks at the young man and says to him triumphantly,
"See that, you schmuck? THAT'S how you wave a fucking towel."

My mistake Steve:

Please accept my genuine apology for naming you in my angry post of yesterday. I’d had a few vinos by then and was genuinely responding to the chap trying desperately to be a stone in my shoe. He knows who he is and has now put me on ignore. I hope.
Thanks mate, I appreciate that.

Just to let you know I am a Roman catholic of Irish descent and like most Irish families we have stories handed down about resistance (passive and aggressive) to English rule.

My thoughts (not facts) on Ireland is as follows;

1) Ireland should be one country, although if this were to happen now it would lead to a rise in violence.

2) This should be a decision for the people of NI only. I know some people will say that the ROI should have a say but this will open the door for the rest of the UK to have a vote.

3) Even though, under the terms of the GFA ROI gave up their claim to NI if you asked any TD they would say that they want a unified Ireland.

4) Any TD (except SF) also know that a unified Ireland would have a huge financial detrimental impact, they won't say this publicly though as it would be political suicide.

5) It probably won't be sorted out in our lifetime, if ever.

My point was that your assertion that Ireland IS one country is not true. If, however, you had said that Ireland SHOULD be one country I would agreed with you.

That's the kind of pedantic cunt I am.

All's good with you.

Just to let you know I am a Roman catholic of Irish descent and like most Irish families we have stories handed down about resistance (passive and aggressive) to English rule.

1) Ireland should be one country, although if this were to happen now it would lead to a rise in violence.

2) This should be a decision for the people of NI only. I know some people will say that the ROI should have a say but this will open the door for the rest of the UK to have a vote.

3) Even though, under the terms of the GFA ROI gave up their claim to NI if you asked any TD they would say that they want a unified Ireland.

4) Any TD (except SF) also know that a unified Ireland would have a huge financial detrimental impact, they won't say this publicly though as it would be political suicide.

My point was that your assertion that Ireland IS one country is not true. If, however, you had said that Ireland SHOULD be one country I would agreed with you.

All's good with you.
Despite being an Ulster Protestant, if an united Ireland benefitted the people, then I could get behind it. However I get the feeling that the Republic wouldn't be able to handle the addition of Northern Ireland and those "Up North" desperately wanting a United Ireland wouldn't want it when they hear all their benefits are disappearing.

Anywho, I have nothing against your lovely country, I have met and am friends with some of the most pleasant people from Donegal down to Kildare with Sligo being a particular favourite of mine. Especially Castle Dargan.

Despite being an Ulster Protestant, if an united Ireland benefitted the people, then I could get behind it. However I get the feeling that the Republic wouldn't be able to handle the addition of Northern Ireland and those "Up North" desperately wanting a United Ireland wouldn't want it when they hear all their benefits are disappearing.

Anywho, I have nothing against your lovely country, I have met and am friends with some of the most pleasant people from Donegal down to Kildare with Sligo being a particular favourite of mine. Especially Castle Dargan.
I agree with all this completely, some ROI people whisper, very quietly, that they don't want NI as it would cost too much.

I class myself as English by the way, of proud Irish descent.

All's good with you.

We’ve gone a long way since club or country.

It’s the politics of “the troubles”, ( I don’t like the term myself but it is what it is). I hear what you say and have no intention of making a mountain out of a mole hill based on opinions but as I said earlier: the EU (global regional federalism) will homogenise nation states in to nothing anyway - so what is gone is gone; that said: were there a referendum on Ireland’s independence I would suggest that all of Ireland and all of Britain ( all involved) have their say by way of the vote - but that won’t happen.

What I don't understand is that, majority of the English always say they prefer their club to win over their country, but once you ask the average Englishman on what their favorite moment as a soccer fan and the majority of the responses are like Trippier scoring against Croatia, Beckham scoring against Greece or Owen scoring against Brazil.....so if people really like their clubs so much, which aren't the favorite moments more club oriented?

What I don't understand is that, majority of the English always say they prefer their club to win over their country, but once you ask the average Englishman on what their favorite moment as a soccer fan and the majority of the responses are like Trippier scoring against Croatia, Beckham scoring against Greece or Owen scoring against Brazil.....so if people really like their clubs so much, which aren't the favorite moments more club oriented?
Ask for example English United fans and the vast majority will say Solskjaer's winning goal in the CL final in 99 or possibly another club related moment.

Last edited:

I can’t imagine anyone I know choosing an England moment over a club moment.

Also where the like of Liverpool, Man united and us to a degree have obvious moments to select; the Barnsley’s the Blackpool’s and the Colchester united etc don’t; and it’s the smaller lower profile clubs support that make up the bulk of England’s travelling support - even they I suspect will agree club before country!

Owen against Brazil? You sure? In the WC QF England lost, or the 1-1 friendly draw?

I could understand Owen against Argentina. Just surprised so many people you know claim one of the Brazil goals.

Unless you are spouting shite again.

Back
Top Bottom