Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Consistancy doesn’t have any kind of a meaning- it is consistency.
When you have forward players of the scoring ability of Kane, Son, Moura and Ali and your role is to be a creative player in that team many players will be able to provide assists in Eriksen’s relatively advanced position. For example if you are alongside Son in an advanced position and lay a 5 yard pass to him and he curls a worldy into the top right hand corner then I believe that counts as an assist. If you take all the free kicks and you take 6 poor ones but on the 7th one for example curl a ball into the area and Kane leaps like a salmon and heads it in again that is an assist. Similarly if you have a team famous for its high press and intense attacking play then that will mean that lots of corners are won and if you then take them all you will sometimes get an assist. My point is that sometimes these statistics are not the be all and end all. I watch football with my eyes and for me he was not consistent at all and became increasingly weak, uncompetitive and ineffective over the length of the season
I doubt that a team can get to 4th in the Premier League and a CL-final with an "uncompetitive and ineffective" playmaker, but then again, I should probably learn to "watch football with my eyes". There's no way of arguing against a line-of-thought that says: Everything positive that happened in the team happened despite Eriksen.
Granted, there were more losses towards the end of the season, but they were often attributable to defensive errors, red cards and fatigue. In my opinion, due to a too small squad, with a non-existant transfer-budget, competing in both the PL and CL. Suddenly, you had attacking midfielders playing defensive mid, defensive mids playing cb, wingers playing striker and injured/out-of-form strikers playing in the CL-final.
With that in mind, I think the team (including Eriksen) had a great season. But hey, don't take my word for it. Instead, listen to the charming words of Frank Sinatra's "That's life".

I doubt that a team can get to 4th in the Premier League and a CL-final with an "uncompetitive and ineffective" playmaker, but then again, I should probably learn to "watch football with my eyes". There's no way of arguing against a line-of-thought that says: Everything positive that happened in the team happened despite Eriksen.
Granted, there were more losses towards the end of the season, but they were often attributable to defensive errors, red cards and fatigue. In my opinion, due to a too small squad, with a non-existant transfer-budget, competing in both the PL and CL. Suddenly, you had attacking midfielders playing defensive mid, defensive mids playing cb, wingers playing striker and injured/out-of-form strikers playing in the CL-final.
With that in mind, I think the team (including Eriksen) had a great season. But hey, don't take my word for it. Instead, listen to the charming words of Frank Sinatra's "That's life".

Eriksen did not have a great season which you claim and I didn’t say that it was all Eriksen’s fault when we didn’t do well which is what you are implying.

There is a video on page 318 of this stream downloaded by Sammy. It is the second posting down the page and lasts 3mins 42 seconds so it shouldn’t tax your limited attention span too much. It shows Eriksen’s goals, assists and skills in his earlier Spurs career. He was energetic, aggressive in places and could actually shoot and it was quite common place for him to actually take players on. Ask yourself the question if you watch it - is the Eriksen that you see today or even last season a patch on this player?

Eriksen did not have a great season which you claim and I didn’t say that it was all Eriksen’s fault when we didn’t do well which is what you are implying.

There is a video on page 318 of this stream downloaded by Sammy. It is the second posting down the page and lasts 3mins 42 seconds so it shouldn’t tax your limited attention span too much. It shows Eriksen’s goals, assists and skills in his earlier Spurs career. He was energetic, aggressive in places and could actually shoot and it was quite common place for him to actually take players on. Ask yourself the question if you watch it - is the Eriksen that you see today or even last season a patch on this player?

"I didn’t say that it was all Eriksen’s fault when we didn’t do well which is what you are implying." I was'nt implying, instead, I was stating that it was ludicrous of you to imply that the team were carrying Eriksen last season, and that the only reason he gets assists is because the other players do all the difficult work in scoring the goals.
Regarding the video you mentioned, I'll grant you this: He had more hair then. No, in all seriousness, he was probably a little lighter back then, a little faster, less muscle - relatively speaking. But a player, without serious injury, rarely loses all of your aforementioned criteria, at the age of 27. In fact, if you look at how he performs for his national team, he's actually banging in a lot more now, then he did earlier in his career. I suspect this also has something to do with where he's playing on the field. For his national team, he seems to have few defensive responsibilities. This, to some degree, was also the case earlier in his Spurs career. He used to be played as the third-most offensive player, but has gradually been asked to play deeper, in order to help with build-up-play. I might be wrong, but I think it started around the time when Dembele started missing too many games.
"is the Eriksen that you see today or even last season a patch on this player?" About a month ago, I watched his national team play against the Swiss. Eriksen and the Danish team were'nt particularly good, but he set up the winning goal with a beautiful no-look pass. He may have been dormant recently, but it's still there.
For more information, please listen to the poetic lyrics of Big Mama Thornton's "Hound Dog".

"I didn’t say that it was all Eriksen’s fault when we didn’t do well which is what you are implying." I was'nt implying, instead, I was stating that it was ludicrous of you to imply that the team were carrying Eriksen last season, and that the only reason he gets assists is because the other players do all the difficult work in scoring the goals.
Regarding the video you mentioned, I'll grant you this: He had more hair then. No, in all seriousness, he was probably a little lighter back then, a little faster, less muscle - relatively speaking. But a player, without serious injury, rarely loses all of your aforementioned criteria, at the age of 27. In fact, if you look at how he performs for his national team, he's actually banging in a lot more now, then he did earlier in his career. I suspect this also has something to do with where he's playing on the field. For his national team, he seems to have few defensive responsibilities. This, to some degree, was also the case earlier in his Spurs career. He used to be played as the third-most offensive player, but has gradually been asked to play deeper, in order to help with build-up-play. I might be wrong, but I think it started around the time when Dembele started missing too many games.
"is the Eriksen that you see today or even last season a patch on this player?" About a month ago, I watched his national team play against the Swiss. Eriksen and the Danish team were'nt particularly good, but he set up the winning goal with a beautiful no-look pass. He may have been dormant recently, but it's still there.
For more information, please listen to the poetic lyrics of Big Mama Thornton's "Hound Dog".

So you watched Eriksen play for Denmark v Switzerland? Apparently other than that pass he was dross according to many people including those in the Danish press. I will have to take their word for it as I wasn’t sad enough to watch 90 minutes of that unlike you his biggest fan. If as you put it “he may have been dormant recently, but it’s still there” then how does that excuse his recent performances for Spurs?
Anyway enough of Eriksen now. We will never agree on him.
I am aware that you only started posting on here a few days ago and EVERY post you have made has been about Eriksen. This sort of infatuation is unhealthy. So it is time to take down the Eriksen posters from your wall and move on and maybe post on other threads if you have any opinions on things other than our flaky Danish pastry friend.
It’s been fun and thanks for keeping things civil but I am sure everyone must be bored witless by our Eriksen discussions. Goodbye for now

So you watched Eriksen play for Denmark v Switzerland? Apparently other than that pass he was dross according to many people including those in the Danish press. I will have to take their word for it as I wasn’t sad enough to watch 90 minutes of that unlike you his biggest fan. If as you put it “he may have been dormant recently, but it’s still there” then how does that excuse his recent performances for Spurs?
Anyway enough of Eriksen now. We will never agree on him.
I am aware that you only started posting on here a few days ago and EVERY post you have made has been about Eriksen. This sort of infatuation is unhealthy. So it is time to take down the Eriksen posters from your wall and move on and maybe post on other threads if you have any opinions on things other than our flaky Danish pastry friend.
It’s been fun and thanks for keeping things civil but I am sure everyone must be bored witless by our Eriksen discussions. Goodbye for now

"how does that excuse his recent performances for Spurs?" It doesn't. As I stated a while back, the last three games, where he was in the starting lineup for Spurs, he was shite. Instead, it served as a counter-example to your assertion that he's no longer the player that he used to be.
"EVERY post you have made has been about Eriksen This sort of infatuation is unhealthy." I agree, it is unhealthy. You see, I'm half Irish and still tormented by what he did to us in the 2018 World Cup play-off. Revenge is coming on Monday, but my PTSD keeps nagging me.
As for posting abundantly about Eriksen, I think you're doing pretty well yourself. I have, unavoidably, come to the conclusion, that you have a suppressed crush on Eriksen. Alas, your love is unreciprocated, and your heart broken.
But fear not, instead, listen to mesmerizing and inspiring words of Phil Collins' "You'll be in my heart".

"how does that excuse his recent performances for Spurs?" It doesn't. As I stated a while back, the last three games, where he was in the starting lineup for Spurs, he was shite. Instead, it served as a counter-example to your assertion that he's no longer the player that he used to be.
"EVERY post you have made has been about Eriksen This sort of infatuation is unhealthy." I agree, it is unhealthy. You see, I'm half Irish and still tormented by what he did to us in the 2018 World Cup play-off. Revenge is coming on Monday, but my PTSD keeps nagging me.
As for posting abundantly about Eriksen, I think you're doing pretty well yourself. I have, unavoidably, come to the conclusion, that you have a suppressed crush on Eriksen. Alas, your love is unreciprocated, and your heart broken.
But fear not, instead, listen to mesmerizing and inspiring words of Phil Collins' "You'll be in my heart".

😴

Funny how Spurs fans defend Kane, and make all kind of excusses for his poor attitude, and yet Eriksen gets all the shit. Does everybody forget Trippiers comment after his move to Atletico? Yesterday Kane scored a hattrick for England and when he plays for Spurs, he isn´t the same player. I know he´s scored 6 PL goals so far, but the normal Kane would have scored 10. Even if he had to steal a goal to get there.

Eriksen hasn´t played well, but who has other than Son and Gazzaniga? And FYI, Eriksen never said he wanted to leave. He made a mistake and answered a Danish journalists leading question about Real Madrid.

Funny how Spurs fans defend Kane, and make all kind of excusses for his poor attitude, and yet Eriksen gets all the shit. Does everybody forget Trippiers comment after his move to Atletico? Yesterday Kane scored a hattrick for England and when he plays for Spurs, he isn´t the same player. I know he´s scored 6 PL goals so far, but the normal Kane would have scored 10. Even if he had to steal a goal to get there.

Eriksen hasn´t played well, but who has other than Son and Gazzaniga? And FYI, Eriksen never said he wanted to leave. He made a mistake and answered a Danish journalists leading question about Real Madrid.

His movement off the ball at times this year hasn’t been that great but he showed what he can do with a decent bit of service last night. He has had to feed off Eriksen’s pathetic corners and free kicks which haven’t helped things but you won’t accept that being an Eriksen fan

Last edited:

Well, as you noted, he has scored 6 goals in the league, 10 overall. To get to Eriksen's level of performance so far in the season he would have had to score 1 or 2 goals so far. To be fair I think Poch deserves much of the blame because he's persisted in playing Eriksen despite his horrid performances. Kane has been scoring more with England but they're winning games 6-0 and 7-0, that's not exactly an apples to apples comparison is it. Also based on this forum it looks like Kane has been getting his fair share of shit as well. Everybody's been getting shit actually, which is understandable given the circumstances.

Let's be honest - Montenegro are shit. I mean properly shit. Red Grade barely any better. The goals scored in those games are not as hard earned as the ones against most PL or higher grade CL teams. I mean, 7-0. Who let's in 7 goals! Seriously. Haha....

No...wait....

Harry Kane, scored fuck loads of goals for Spurs over the past 5 years, in the top 10 or 15 all time before he's even 30, 6th all time leading scorer for England in the same time, loves Spurs, doesn't think he's better than us and has been starved of service this season, still scoring 6 in 10.

Christian Eriksen, was very good for maybe 3 seasons, got above his station and thought he was better than Spurs, puts in 2/10 performances for 12 months, can't even keep possession anymore, worst player on the pitch in the CL final, doesn't give a shit about Spurs, 1 goal and 1 assist this season?

Almost identical isn't it. The funniest thing is that if you read back through this thread numerous people have claimed Eriksen is our best player. Let that sink in, better than Harry Kane...

Harry Kane, scored fuck loads of goals for Spurs over the past 5 years, in the top 10 or 15 all time before he's even 30, 6th all time leading scorer for England in the same time, loves Spurs, doesn't think he's better than us and has been starved of service this season, still scoring 6 in 10.

Christian Eriksen, was very good for maybe 3 seasons, got above his station and thought he was better than Spurs, puts in 2/10 performances for 12 months, can't even keep possession anymore, worst player on the pitch in the CL final, doesn't give a shit about Spurs, 1 goal and 1 assist this season?

Almost identical isn't it. The funniest thing is that if you read back through this thread numerous people have claimed Eriksen is our best player. Let that sink in, better than Harry Kane...
Borks mate - will you please change your avatar?

Perfect summary

Back
Top Bottom