Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think when Poch talks about this being an unexpected situation I think he means that he really felt there was a big chance Eriksen would sign a new deal, he probably underestimated the players desire to leave. Neither Eriksen or the club expected there to be so little interest that this awkward situation could develop and that there would be any pressure on him to extend. He thought he would be long gone by now.

I still think the most likely outcome is that Real offer us £50m next week and we let him go. There’s just no way he can remain part of our first XI if he is thinking about Real more than Tottenham, you cannot expect a player to give their best in that situation. If he stays he will just be a squad player once Lo Celso gets going. Ramsey was in the same position at Woolwich last season where the manager was never really willing to rely on him as a consistent starter.
Either way his days should be numbered here.

People claim he’s being professional.....no different to what Rose did in my opinion. Professional is what Trippier was.....keep your mouth shut in the media and sort your issues out behind closed doors.

You can say what you want when you aren’t being paid by THFC anymore.

Now it seems like there is some form of turmoil until this window shuts. And hopefully when it does, our problems will be Real Madrid’s

Mate if we want success, we need to start the rebuild.

Sorry but the “best team in 30 years” won fuck all. And we don’t even play the breathtaking football anymore.

A few years ago I expected to win in style.
Now we wait for the obligatory early oppo goal and the only reason it’s exhilarating is because we basically come 1 minute from defeat for half the season.

A world class attack that can’t put a game to bed before the hour.
A world class defense that can’t defend a corner.

The King is dead, Long live the King.
So we rebuild, as you say.

And when the best of these new players also start to look for moves elsewhere we rebuild again. And again...And again.........
Always just falling short because our top players see their talent undervalued.
Always willing to cash in while the player retains resale value.

And so the never ending cycle continues. I league cup in two decades becomes three decades.
The long wait for a league title continues on and on.

Fuck the rebuild. Lets address the real issues. Why are we in a situation where world class talents like Toby, Jan, Chris, etc are not committing their futures to Spurs.

And when the best of these new players also start to look for moves elsewhere we rebuild again. And again...And again.........

And so the never ending cycle continues. I league cup in two decades becomes three decades.

Fuck the rebuild. Lets address the real issues. Why are we in a situation where world class talents like Toby, Jan, Chris, etc are not committing their futures to Spurs.
That’s football mate.....Sir Alex pandered to no one.
Ronaldo and Beckham included

Easy enough to answer your specific questions :

Christian Eriksen then at Ajax said it was his boyhood dream to play in Spain. Since he joined Spurs, then a Europa League regular, we have made a jumpy to having completed 3 times in succession in CL and got to CL final. So our standard of football is way above that which he came to play, the contracts he's been offerred are similar to too clubs elsewhere (see Alderweireld going round to all top clubs in Europe and struggling to find higher paying clubs which he fancied).

So just comes down to the dream of playing in Spain - and Tottenham isn't in Spain last time I looked.

Alderweireld has turned down lots of contract offers in the last 3 years and is now at an age where he wanted one last big pay day which his agent father had promised would be available for him. They have spent a year talking to all the big clubs without anyone wanting to bite - even with the seemingly ultra low £25m transfer value availability. Fact is that Spurs offers have been at a similar level to that which he's been o ffered. So the issue they have is whether they restart negotiations with Spurs to get a contract offer which has been withdrawn or take a chance on being free next summer - which means he will find a club but not necessarily the big club he wants. And he's said he wants to retire at Ajax....but he's another year or two at the top before he needs to do that so it's what he does to bridge the gap ( with the big wages he wants and Spurs offer previously is what he probably now realise he should have accepted). But maybe a question of pride now to go back to Spurs and at he made s mistake.

Vertonghen is a year or so older than Alderweireld and Poch had come out saying his fitness is the reason he's no longer an automatic starter. He again is expected to wind down at Ajax so again it's whether he stays at Spurs for a year or two more or not. Poch may have decided he only wants one of an ageing Jan or Toby which could be an issue. Personally would like Jan to agree a deal for one or two more years.

Just to forestall your usual bullshit. If you look at the clubs winning PL and domestic cups you will see it's the same old names - with honourable exceptions if the likes of Wigan and Portsmouth, so I for one do not want to copy the example of winning a domestic cup only to be relegated a seaso. Or two later.

And yes Leicester fluked the PL a few seasons ago when the usual top clubs bottled it so Spurs were chasing Leicester in that season. Otherwise all PL titles for years have gone to the likes of ManU Woolwich and Chelsea, sadly.

But with a rejuvinatedi squad we should be iin the nix in a year or two.

So - easy answers

Surprised you had to ask the questions !

Wouldn't it be convenient to overlook the fact that the gaffa has made several references to needing a "re-build"...?

Meanwhile, I wonder if anyone in denial of this can quantify what "more" we should be doing to keep these oft discussed players?

Wouldn't it be convenient to overlook the fact that the gaffa has made several references to needing a "re-build"...?

Meanwhile, I wonder if anyone in denial of this can quantify what "more" we should be doing to keep these oft discussed players?

Do we not effectively reach a break even point with them ? We make a financial offer which the club considers reasonable in relation to the player's overall valuation , they turn it down so instead of pandering to their unrealistic terms we preferably sell them on or allow their existing contracts to run out and look for replacements to bring in ??
Never allow the tail to wag the dog :thumbup:

Hi Airfixx. Fair play for showing up so quickly after yesterday's humiliation in the Poch thread.

:adesalute:

Yeah, the context is he runs a lot, sees more ball than actual CM's, scores and assists 20+ a season (and in answer to your bullshit assists are pointless statement, he's also tops our XA90 - quality/quantity metric - of anyone who started more than 2 games - as well as tackling at the same rate as Sissoko and Winks per game, and forcing more press turnovers, as well as progressing the ball into the final third more.

Well done on comparing him to players who are not renowned tacklers at all. How does his tackling compare to say Wanyama?

Sammy, don’t forget our creative midfielder also tops the invented XA stat, a stat he surely should be the best at? He’s our creative midfielder ffs, that’s like claiming Kane is amazing because he tops our XG.

Zidane started both James and Bale yesterday, seeming to rehabilitate them both at Madrid.

If that is the case, not sure that Madrid will make s last minute bid for him - just cannot find room for him in he squad numberswise and no time to offload any of their other big players.

Not sure where that leaves him - I'd have thought a big risk to assume he can go there next summer. But he might take the risk. Problem is if that doesn't come off he's not going to better himself by leaving Spurs.

The safe option might be to sign s contract with Spurs with a get out clause to go to Spain next June at say £50m as if Madrid actually want him they will pay that. But that might be just me thinking that.

Well done on comparing him to players who are not renowned tacklers at all. How does his tackling compare to say Wanyama?

Eriksen tackled average 0.2 more per game than Wanyama last season....

I think you need to have a look in the Sissoko thread, apparently he's "brilliant" at tackling.

It's not the comparison(s) that's even the important bit, the bare performance output of Eriksen alone is sufficient, the comparisons are just there to provide you with even more of the context you requested, as per below:

Covering the most ground only means something with context ffs. If I spent 90 mins doing lengths of the pitch it doesn’t make me a valuable member of the team and similarly if Eriksen is jogging around the opponents half without putting any pressure on them, without winning any challenges or intercepting/tackling then what use is that to us? If anything he should be conserving the energy for when he can actually do something useful.

So, as well as covering more ground than anyone, he gets through more ball than our other regular midfielders, creates more than all our other midfielders and attacking midfielders, tackles as much or more than our other regular midfielders, he forces more pressure regains than Sissoko, about the same as Winks and a bit less than Alli.

Have we covered enough context bases?

Hi Airfixx. Fair play for showing up so quickly after yesterday's humiliation in the Poch thread.

:adesalute:

Hardly a humiliation... No biggy. In the meantime, you carry on reveling in our woes... :adethumbup:

Btw,

Curious; how many times have you made your "we need to do more to keep 'em" post in this thread and subsequently run away from all the sound replies? ...Double figures yet, is it?

Now that I WOULD find "humiliating".

Last edited:
Eriksen benched again

My work here is done.....a year down the line, everyone comes around to Sammy’s way.
Even Poch.

Only one question remains.

Does this make a Poch a clueless cunt to the masses?

:kaneear:

Imagine wishing one of your own does badly instead of winning us the game so you can be proven right on some random Internet forum. True Spurs my arse

Back
Top Bottom