Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Equally so the demands to "get him to sign s anew deal"....

The whole saga and surrounding fan-circus has become incredibly tiresome considering we've all been hanging out for news of him signing a new deal since before the euro's. His since speaking out about "new challenges" won't have helped in some quarters.

We're innevitably a weaker squad without him, but I just want it all resolved one way or another.... Another season of intrigue and guessing will be hellish.
I have to think we'll know by the end of the transfer window. My take on this is either he is sold now or he goes on a free. I just can't see him signing a new contract with Spurs at this point.

Let me just qualify something for a start, when I said Eriksen was 8th last season for chance creation, that was 8th in terms of chances created per 90.

There is still a big difference between the role Eriksen played last season, even as an 8 - and our system was more a 41212 - where Eriksen was expected to do a shitload of "midfield" type stuff (like averaging 50+ passes a game) and spending more time in deeper areas - than playing as a forward/winger/AM/10 etc - which by definition means making those little set up passes on the edge of the box that constitute a "chance" (or key pass) less likely.

It's pointless comparing Eriksen with Ryan Fraser, he's pretty much an orthodox winger. he has a great season, and if his fellow strikers were better, his X/A suggests he could/should have had even more assists (he actually under scored his x/a by 2.18 over the course of the season. His was out in front of everyone's with 16.18. But there was 3.69 goals over the course of the whole season between Hazard(x/a 11.53) in 2nd and Eriksen(x/a 7.88) in 10th overall.

In terms of x/a per 90's, of the players that played more than say 1000 minutes, that aren't full time forward/AM's the list looks like this:

D Silva 0.38
Kolasinac 0.32
Milner 0.29
B Silva 0.27
Eriksen 0.26
TAA 0.26

I didn't realise there were expected assists stats knocking about. I guess that goes some way to satisfy my curiosity on that front... (Where's a good place to get such rankings and comparrisons?)

As for role/formation etc. the diamond by design allows more of a 4132 when attacking so the grey area about his more trad. CM work for me remains as even as a #10 for us he'd still roam and drop deep a fair amount of time and was rarely relied upon to do the real donkey work that Winks & Sissoko were. Thanks for the input tho'.

Last edited:
I have to think we'll know by the end of the transfer window. My take on this is either he is sold now or he goes on a free. I just can't see him signing a new contract with Spurs at this point.

Likewise.... As Borodin55 Borodin55 suggests though, I'd (reluctantly) want to see him phased out in the case of such an eventuality. We must forge a progressive strategy which best serves the development of those whom are part of our future (GLC in particular) even if that feels like we are taking a hit on wasted wages; we just have to mentally 'swallow' it as a necessary expense on the same basis as if a player got injured.

Likewise.... As Borodin55 Borodin55 suggests though, I'd (reluctantly) want to see him phased out in the case of such an eventuality. We must forge a progressive strategy which best serves the development of those whom are part of our future (GLC in particular) even if that feels like we are taking a hit on wasted wages; we just have to mentally 'swallow' it as a necessary expense on the same basis as if a player got injured.
I don't think it's an either/or. Eriksen can play regular minutes while still giving regular minutes to players who will be here in 20/21. It's a long season, there's lots of injuries, etc.

Sky actually did a piece on him during the last day of the transfer window with his stats in different midfield roles last season. I can’t remember the exact specifics but they said he only played a deeper role something like 4-8 matches so over half seems way off.

Assists could mean anything without relating to the original point. He could be creating better chances, he could have better finishers in the team than Fraser for example, it’s impossible to quantify.

I know you love your stats though and Sissoko is still ahead of the main man for assists this season :levywhoa:

Se above. Qualified with x/a and x/a 90.

Sky are talking absolute bollocks. You know he played there much more than that if you watch our games. According to transfermarket he played pure CM 5 times and as an "8" 16 times. Thats 21. And I think that's a conservative estimate as many games our format was shown on who scored incorrectly with Eriksen appearing as an AM when I'm watching him play as an 8. There were also a bunch of games where he started as an AM and got moved back to CM/8. In our CL semi final for example where he ended up playing as the deepest midfielder.

I don't think it's an either/or. Eriksen can play regular minutes while still giving regular minutes to players who will be here in 20/21. It's a long season, there's lots of injuries, etc.

True, but the designated first choice should no longer be CE in that scenario.... He should join the B team so to speak.

Nuances, sammy.

Yes, says the man writing once - now twice - while you’ve been spamming this place with well over 200 posts this weekend.

God damned basement-virgin.
My posts in this thread usually have the word Eriksen in them though.

Yours seem to say Sammy.

I’m not sure why you think my obsession with Eriksen is worse than your obsession with me.
I’m here for Spurs. Good and bad.

What are you here for? To talk about another member. Constantly whining on about me whining on a bout a spurs player. Well done mate, you don’t look tragic at all....you must have so much going on in your world too that you actively choose not to use the ignore function, read every single one of my posts, then make hundreds of posts yourself. About my posts.

Don’t worry about my 200 posts “spamming” up the place.
Despite your little crew getting together with private messages and going on an all out disagree massacre I still received over 200 Agrees Likes and Funnies this weekend.

One mans spam is another mans entertainment. Some people like me, deal with it.

Enjoy the forum in your way, and I’ll enjoy it in mine.

Last edited:

Yours seem to say Sammy.

I’m not sure why you think my obsession with Eriksen is worse than your obsession with me.

What are you here for? To talk about another member. Constantly whining on about me whining on a bout a spurs player. Well done mate, you don’t look tragic at all....you must have so much going on in your world too that you actively choose not to use the ignore function, read every single one of my posts, then make hundreds of posts yourself. About my posts.

Despite your little crew getting together with private messages and going on an all out disagree massacre I still received over 200 Agrees Likes and Funnies this weekend.

Let me fact check this post for you.

Search “sammyspurs” posts by fatabbott. I quoted or mentioned you app. 50 times in 1816 posts. That’s surprisingly low, seeing how you and totti probably stand for 90% of the content on here.

You received 200 likes/agrees/funnies - okay wow. You had way more than 200 posts. That’s a terrible post-to-like ratio. Most get 2+ positive ratings per post, myself included. You can click the username to verify.

You didn’t get the likes “despite” the disagrees. Disagrees don’t remove/cancel out positive ratings you fucking retard.

You were on ignore until the end of the transfer window. I’ll take your advice and put you back. Shouldn’t be necessary as we had a bet that you cowarded out of. Little man.

Yours seem to say Sammy.

Complefely agree.

It's the fcuking kids that go crying to mummy 'disagree'

Inarticulate fcuks much of the time as well.

Let me fact check this post for you.

Search “sammyspurs” posts by fatabbott. I quoted or mentioned you app. 50 times in 1816 posts. That’s surprisingly low, seeing how you and totti probably stand for 90% of the content on here.

You received 200 likes/agrees/funnies - okay wow. You had way more than 200 posts. That’s a terrible post-to-like ratio. Most get 2+ positive ratings per post, myself included. You can click the username to verify.

You didn’t get the likes “despite” the disagrees. Disagrees don’t remove/cancel out positive ratings you fucking retard.

You were on ignore until the end of the transfer window. I’ll take your advice and put you back. Shouldn’t be necessary as we had a bet that you cowarded out of. Little man.
I didn’t read this because it’s nothing to do with Eriksen.
I’m not interested and you are now on ignore.
You are not relevant to this forum.

That’s the difference between me and you.
You are here for the cunt off, but you pretend you aren’t.

At least I know what I am.

giphy.gif

True, but the designated first choice should no longer be CE in that scenario.... He should join the B team so to speak.

Think the AM spots could be highly contested (or rotated if you prefer) whether Eriksen stays or goes.

Son, Moura, Lo Celso, Dele, Lamela, Sessegnon…..and Eriksen.

Of course, Lo Celso could spend some time at CM, but imo its more likely he spends the majority of his time as an AM (and assuming we play 4231), not all the above can play most games.

And Lamela has started the season brightly, so whilst I might have assumed he would rarely be an A team option in the last couple of seasons, that may not be the correct assumption atm. And with Sessegnon having made 30 appearances in PL last season, its reasonable to expect to see him in maybe a third of the games we play.

So provided we don't get too many injuries, the competition for forward line spots could be most intense for years. Good for the club.

Think the AM spots could be highly contested (or rotated if you prefer) whether Eriksen stays or goes.

Son, Moura, Lo Celso, Dele, Lamela, Sessegnon…..and Eriksen.

Of course, Lo Celso could spend some time at CM, but imo its more likely he spends the majority of his time as an AM (and assuming we play 4231), not all the above can play most games.

And Lamela has started the season brightly, so whilst I might have assumed he would rarely be an A team option in the last couple of seasons, that may not be the correct assumption atm. And with Sessegnon having made 30 appearances in PL last season, its reasonable to expect to see him in maybe a third of the games we play.

So provided we don't get too many injuries, the competition for forward line spots could be most intense for years. Good for the club.

Sure... I'm not suggesting he should be "banished to the kidz"; just that what was once seen as 'his' game-time should be prioritised for others if we know he's on his way out and have other suitable players to play in that berth.... There'll always be that question mark hanging over him whenever he's off-form otherwise (fans and fellow players alike).

On a side note: I don't think it's safe to assume we'll play 4231. If anything for the foreseeable, I'd tend to assume we're gonna see more of the diamond until Poch has exhausted all his theories about who would work where (and we're not close to expending all those options yet given those who have yet to feature or bed in this season so far.)....

Sure... I'm not suggesting he should be "banished to the kidz"; just that what was once seen as 'his' game-time should be prioritised for others if we know he's on his way out and have other suitable players to play in that berth.... There'll always be that question mark hanging over him whenever he's off-form otherwise (fans and fellow players alike).

On a side note: I don't think it's safe to assume we'll play 4231. If anything for the foreseeable, I'd tend to assume we're gonna see more of the diamond until Poch has exhausted all his theories about who would work where (and we're not close to expending all those options yet given those who have yet to feature or bed in this season so far.)....

Cant disagree with most of this.

Point on competition (and perhaps I am over labouring the point) is that Moura only really became a first team option last season when we had a lot of injuries and therefore rotation (his first 6 months he was used sparingly whilst getting up to speed with how Spurs play), and Moura didn't really replace anyone.

Lo Celso has joined and hasn't replaced anyone (unless Eriksen leaves) and Sessegnon has not really replaced anyone (as N'Koudou has hardly played and is, of course still at Spurs).

And if Lamela stays fit this season, it will be 'like a brand new signing' (he says tongue in cheek)

So lots more bodies at AM than at this time last season, or the season before, was my main point - and the quality isn't bad either !

Back
Top Bottom