Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Reading that you’d imagine he wears Barca pyjamas.

To be fair to him should he go I think he’s been a great servant to the club and great value for the £12m we paid for him. And players deserve to follow their dreams / ambitions. Barca are on a different level to us. Nobody should kid themselves otherwise.

I don’t really follow Barca that much but who would he replace? Rakitic I imagine.
I can see that happening tbh.

He’s off.
I’m still not sure he will flourish there. A couple of sub par games and he will be getting slaughtered.
However, that won’t stop him chasing a dream.
Thing is, he can let his contract tick down and sign a pre contract in less than 12 months time with them. They could spunk a full budget this summer and get him for nothing.

I don’t know who he would replace. The giants seem to just stockpile the worlds finest players.

It’s the uneven playing field almost every other club has to deal with.

Well, now there are signs that he may go. Even old team mate Andros Townsend said that he has made his mind up to leave and if that's true, even a fat salary increase to 200K may not make any difference.
It will be interesting to watch his performance v Leceister tomorrow and how big a shift he puts in.
But if he was offered 200k and still decided to leave a lot of us would be more understanding of the clubs position.
In fact it would be both beneficial to the club and the player if that was let known.
It would indicate the the club has done all it can to keep the player.
While also showing it's not just about the money as far as Eriksen is concerned.

However, as it is now, it appears the club is more interested in cashing in than pulling out the stops to keep a hugely popular, world class player at Tottenham Hotspur.

Thing is Steve, once a club starts just accepting it's place in this food chain we may as well just wave the white flag and say we're nothing more than a feeder club.
What's the point of having the best stadium in Europe if we're just a feeder club.
Why should a club that's smashed attendance records all over the place settle for the status of a feeder club.
And why should a feeder club charge their supporters higher season ticket prices than the bigger club's they have to feed.

If the club still can't hold on to its best players, despite all of the above, then perhaps those players see something that many of our fans continue to hide away from.
Liverpool could not hold onto Courtinho, Chelsea seem resigned to lose Hazard if he wants to go to Madrid, Woolwich lost Sanchez to Man U. As much as I do not want him to go, if Eriksen gets an offer from Barcalona ( Madrid said to have ended interest) then he will go. Levy has offered Kane and Dele enough to stay and I believe he will also do the same with Eriksen but whilst the other 2 wanted to stay, Eriksen is still hedging his bets.
I am also frustrated at the Clubs lack of purchases but do not think money is the problem this time even though Barcalona will pay a lot more but winning trophys.

Some good comments about Eriksen Totti Totti Bill Madrid Bill Madrid smd Boltonspur Boltonspur

I don’t want him to go. I think he’s vital to us.
But we haven’t invested in the team and I don’t expect us to unless we sell.

A real shame if we don’t offer him enough money and actually he wants that to stay.

He’s only 26 so just really approaching his prime. To get similar quality would cost millions anyway. But I csn see us bringing in young British talent at a fraction of the cost of a world class player.

Is it just a guess we offered him 110k a week?
More likely we offered him in the same range as Kane and he turned it it down imo.
Will be surprised if Barcelona or Madrid are in for him in the summer.

I don't think it's really about money for him, my guess is that he has decided that next summer could be the perfect time for him to join an elite side like Real or Barca and actually win soms league titles again and challenge for the Champions League (which possibly will never happen if he signs a new long term contract with us), we could probably offer him 220k a week and he won't sign a new one.

This all seems more about ambition than money in my opinion.

Last edited:
Thing is Steve, once a club starts just accepting it's place in this food chain we may as well just wave the white flag and say we're nothing more than a feeder club.
What's the point of having the best stadium in Europe if we're just a feeder club.
Why should a club that's smashed attendance records all over the place settle for the status of a feeder club.
And why should a feeder club charge their supporters higher season ticket prices than the bigger club's they have to feed.

If the club still can't hold on to its best players, despite all of the above, then perhaps those players see something that many of our fans continue to hide away from.
United got right to the top of the tree and still couldn't keep Ronaldo, sometimes the player just wants to go and we can't bridge the gap to the Spanish giants until we're as successful as them, something we've never ever been in our history. We've come a long way recently, almost champions league regulars but it takes time and without a sugar daddy billionaire throwing money at it it's almost impossible to bridge that gap....Chelsea and City will testify to that even with the money.

We don't know Eriksen's wage offer from Spurs or what his reasons are for not signing but it isn't unlikely that he's drawn by the kudos of joining a massive club in Spain on big money with almost guaranteed trophies. Maybe they don't want him and he'll stay which is what we all want but saying ' don't accept our place in the food chain ' is to deny the reality of our current status in world football.

Unless you're right at the top of the tree you're a feeder club. That's the reality of football especially since Bosman put the players in control of their own destiny.

I’m not overly concerned about his supposed “dip” in form, seems to happen at least once a season and is really a sign of how high a level we expect from him.

Were he to go to Real or Barca you’d hope we could extract a player in return. Isco signing for us would never realistically happen unless as part of a makeweight. Likewise with Coutinho (who I’ve always thought of as a much more inconsistent version of Eriksen with a bit more of a goal threat on the occasion he IS on form).

Have no insight on what's happening other than the multitude of media reports.

I would love for Christian to stay, as I think he is such a gifted player, granted his form of late as mentioned by other members here has been below par. Is it money, is it titles, is it a new environment / challenge... maybe a combination of all.

So long as he is representing the club, then he will have my full support. Should he wish to leave the EPL, for another endeavour, I wish him best of luck. He is not easily replaceable both from a pure football perspective as well as the in house chemistry we have with our elite players at the minute.

I think, when on form, he's our most influential midfielder and in big matches he does rise to the occasion, I bet he'll be back to his best against Dortmund.

However I don't think that he is attractive to a top level team purely for the fact he just isn't quite consistent enough. Which is probably why we got him from Ajax not Barca or Juve. He is a better player now but he still has periods of good and bad form and that means at the highest level you can't build a team around him.

I think he will either stay with us or move to a team that could accommodate his form, he'd be ideal for City where they could play him when on form but have the depth to drop him when it dips.

I still want him to stay but we know that there's two sides to his game, he can make something magic or dissappear in to the game.

Thinking about it this way, if you were in control of the club, would you make him your top earning player?

78Spur ,
Fair post.

My only objection would relate to the form guide. I think over the years he has been " consistent", however ( and Im only guessing here ), his form slump lately is related to the ongoing issue of his contract.

Prior to this season, he was... lets say consistently good, with moments of brilliance.

All well and good and good if we replace him with a player of equivalent quality, but you know in your heart that we wont. We didn't properly replace Carrick or Modric, it'll be another young downgrade who we hope will step up in time. And so we carry on cheerily, always with this "the future's bright" thing when in fact we keep taking steps back, or at least not keeping step with our rivals.

We should start acting like a club thats challenging to win the league. Replacing Eriksen with the likes of Maddison and Grealish isn't doing that
the problem is finding a ready made replacement who is at the same level as Eriksen is tough. There are so few around

78Spur ,
Fair post.

My only objection would relate to the form guide. I think over the years he has been " consistent", however ( and Im only guessing here ), his form slump lately is related to the ongoing issue of his contract.

Prior to this season, he was... lets say consistently good, with moments of brilliance.

I think this season's form drop could be down to injuries, without Dele and Kane, he looks less effective but it is not just this season. There have been times where quite a few of us have seen him hit 'off' periods, I don't think that makes him a bad player at all and in the space of 6 years everyone is entitled to the occasional error or iffy game.

I make no dispute that he's a fantastic talent but this isn't his first sequence where he hasn't been firing right and this leads me to 2 points, he will get back to top form and he will have another dip, oh and he should stop taking corners too!!

The squad have had a full week's rest and hopefully we'll be seeing him back to his best.

I think we shouldn't look for a like to like replacement as there are few out there with his set of abilities, we should just change way our system and add another ball playing AM. Brandt is decent, but so could Neuhaus or Havertz.

*though Brandt would be most similar

Last edited:
Hope Eriksen stays as he is quality and has been integral to our play over the last 4/5 years.

Additionally hope and am sure we would be offering a pay deal in line with his age and international standing. Not top tier but in the bracket below I would say.

If he doesn't stay we move on and as long as we invest accordingly and buy players of quality to take us forward so be it.

There is no alternative really. I just hope the plans are forward thinking on not in reactive mode.

the problem is finding a ready made replacement who is at the same level as Eriksen is tough. There are so few around

Very difficult to find a ready made replacement. Not many had heard of him before he joined as part of the 'Bale 7'. It's what our scouting network is for, to unearth the future gems. Who knows, his replacement could be some spotty 17 year old in the Academy. Maddison at 22 may be a good shout. Who knows how Winks or Skipp could develop?

There will be life post-Eriksen, it's how the club deals with it.

Very harsh. His opinions differ to yours so he's a cunt and I should be banned for giving fellow TFC members the option of reading his take on the situation .

Hmm, this fellow springs to mind

NQ2n8Ty.gif
Nah, sorry John, as Arty said he’s been around for a very long time and had his own “website” relying on NewsNow click bait for over a decade. He’a a vainglorious windup merchant in it to make a buck with nothing of value to say. If you can’t see through his trash then more fool you.

Why are you so convinced his heart is set on Madrid or Barca?

Is it not just a little bit possible that if he saw Spurs as a club willing to pay him his value and a club willing to invest accordingly in the squad he'd be happy to remain in London?

Most rational people seem to agree Chris is a genuine guy who respects our club and supporters. So why run down his contract to the final 12 months? Surely it's evident he'd like to stay if the club were prepared to match the ambition of the player?

But surely even you would agree he's unlikely to have been inspired by the last two transfer windows? And the offer of £110k per week, although a sum us fans can only dream of, is derisory for such a player in the current market.
Even West Ham and Palace have players earning more than that!
John, you’re being incredibly naive. When Eriksen left Ajax he ran down his contract. This puts the ball firmly in their court. He didn’t agitate, just gave them a problem to deal with... sell or lose.

He was already committed to going, though he didn’t speak of it until Ajax went to market. It was up to Ajax if they wanted time or money. As his transfer to Spurs was coming up and Ajax were committed to selling he spoke openly about wanting to play at the top (Barca mentioned) one day and that he had his own plan, Spurs were part of that plan.

Read your own truths into things if you want but money and signings isn’t going to keep him, people are wired differently and no amount of cash injection will give any club the same visage as Barca or Real to some players and Eriksen has always seemed to fit that mold.

Personally I think both of those teams play in giant crumbling soulless bowls for tourists with only a handful of real opposition to play each season... that makes me a massive minority though doesn’t it? As most players see these two clubs as the absolute pinnacle of their career and no nouveau riche club like PSG or City even is likely to sway the ones that value ego over money.

Spurs are not an elite club... let that scan and settle because it’s the truth. We could spend £500m for the next three seasons and still not be an elite club. It would make us either ambitious or stupid depending on the net result (likely administration).

The only thing that will take us to the next level are league and Champions League titles. If being a top club is your ambition then those are the only things that matter and Poch is dedicated to them. Not net spend, not domestic cups... League and CL.

It would be nice to think that Eriksen can see how close we are and commit (with a salary that reflects his place in the squad) for a couple more years but it is clear as day he is ready to move. Deal with it and stop griping that this is Levy’s fault. We’ve just started paying players “what they are worth” and it is fucking hammering our pockets because:

1) The EPL is a fucking fantasy land for player salaries
2) We don’t have the same non-match day revenue as the clubs you want to spend like

Do I want to offer Eriksen and then all our other top earners £200/£300k a week? No, John, I’d rather be able to afford my season ticket.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom