Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I don't think any of that would make a difference to him if Madrid or Barcelona came calling, they're bigger clubs than us and nothing you say above would change that. As much as we all dislike it we're in a food chain and if the player dreams of playing in Spain for either of those clubs there's fuck all we can do about it. Ronaldo left United having won everything and getting paid shitloads cos it was his dream to play for Madrid, what makes you think it's any different with Eriksen?
Thing is Steve, once a club starts just accepting it's place in this food chain we may as well just wave the white flag and say we're nothing more than a feeder club.
What's the point of having the best stadium in Europe if we're just a feeder club.
Why should a club that's smashed attendance records all over the place settle for the status of a feeder club.
And why should a feeder club charge their supporters higher season ticket prices than the bigger club's they have to feed.

If the club still can't hold on to its best players, despite all of the above, then perhaps those players see something that many of our fans continue to hide away from.

Last edited:
This is where John Thomas John Thomas agenda against miserly Levy & Lewis gets tedious as fuck.
They could offer him a kings ransom and he may well still turn it down if he was offered guaranteed titles & trophies somewhere like Barcelona.
I still don’t think Barca is a good fit for him. He will be under the microscope and won’t be allowed his less than wonderful periods he seems to go through every year for a short time.

The reality is, he will have been offered an eye watering sum of money to stay.

It may not be as much as some of the elite giants offer, and when they come knocking & the player answers the door you either sell, or let them see out their contracts and go for free. The Ronaldo example is conveniently ignored by the Levy hate mob.

I’m no Levy lover myself, but I do respect what he is trying to balance here between staying competitive, building a new ground & keeping our star players. We have and will try to keep the players Poch wants. Poch will walk if we don’t. But Poch himself understands the club, the chairman & the balancing act being carried out.
Thanks for the tag.
Is there ever a point where we say enough is enough?

If not, can we ever expect to finally get over the line and win major honours or are we to blindly support a policy that sees us having to replenish and replace just when we're on the cusp of possible glory?

Maybe you're happy to accept the little Tottenham punching above their weight mentality. That's fine.
But please also try and accept that a sizeable chunk of our fanbase see things differently .

Thanks for the tag.
Is there ever a point where we say enough is enough?

If not, can we ever expect to finally get over the line and win major honours or are we to blindly support a policy that sees us having to replenish and replace just when we're on the cusp of possible glory?

Maybe you're happy to accept the little Tottenham punching above their weight mentality. That's fine.
But please also try and accept that a sizeable chunk of our fanbase see things differently .
How would you keep Eriksen if his heart is set on Barca or Real?
In a dungeon until his contract expired?

It isn’t always as simple as throw enough money at it and see if it sticks.

You seem an intelligent bloke. I’m not sure why you are so blind or stupid not to see that it’s often out of the club’s hands and entirely in the hands of the player himself.

How would you keep Eriksen if his heart is set on Barca or Real?
In a dungeon until his contract expired?

It isn’t always as simple as throw enough money at it and see if it sticks.

You seem an intelligent bloke. I’m not sure why you are so blind or stupid not to see that it’s often out of the club’s hands and entirely in the hands of the player himself.
Why are you so convinced his heart is set on Madrid or Barca?

Is it not just a little bit possible that if he saw Spurs as a club willing to pay him his value and a club willing to invest accordingly in the squad he'd be happy to remain in London?

Most rational people seem to agree Chris is a genuine guy who respects our club and supporters. So why run down his contract to the final 12 months? Surely it's evident he'd like to stay if the club were prepared to match the ambition of the player?

But surely even you would agree he's unlikely to have been inspired by the last two transfer windows? And the offer of £110k per week, although a sum us fans can only dream of, is derisory for such a player in the current market.
Even West Ham and Palace have players earning more than that!

Last edited:
Genuinely think if he's sold, we don't need a like for like replacement, either a wide forward who will provide us with 15+ goals that Eriksen never did in the Premier League or a new central midfielder for a 433 and a change of style. In the same way that you cannot replace Dembele like-for-like but you can change the system to benefit what we have.

I think Dele and Kane are more than creative between them to fill the void and Son is really crossing over to that other level where he's not only scoring goals, he's providing them for others too.

Eriksen has been poor for a while and we're STILL winning. He's got a grand total of ONE assist for us since Boxing Day and that was against the team currently sitting 18th in the table. Will he be missed? Fuck yes. But he's not irreplaceable, no one is.

If we found a way to not only survive but get better after losing e likes of Berbatov, Modric, Bale etc immsure a team consisting of the likes of Kane, Dele will be able to live another day without Eriksen. I sincerely hope he stays as I think he's a top class footballer but if he goes we'll find a way, he certainly isn't bigger than the club

Very harsh. His opinions differ to yours so he's a cunt and I should be banned for giving fellow TFC members the option of reading his take on the situation .

Hmm, this fellow springs to mind

NQ2n8Ty.gif
No, he's a cunt because his twathole of a website was the perfect example of clickbait, because of the stupid names he came up for our players (what was it he called Kyle Walker, Mavis or something like that?), his making up of stuff all the time and complete inability to ever admit he'd been wrong, his deleting of all comments that argued against his narrative and a good few more reasons more.

Loved himself, loved his internet persona. Thought he was way more influential and incisive than he was.

In short, cunt

Amazing player but it's definitely not the be all and end all if he leaves. Everyone thought pool would crumble when they sold their best/most creative attacking threat at the time but they reinvested wisely and ended up having a more complete team.

The thing is....I don't really trust Levy to spend the cash needed to replace him even with a year of not spending and selling him.

Why are you so convinced his heart is set on Madrid or Barca?

Is it not just a little bit possible that if he saw Spurs as a club willing to pay him his value and a club willing to invest accordingly in the squad he'd be happy to remain in London?

Most rational people seem to agree Chris is a genuine guy who respects our club and supporters. So why run down his contract to the final 12 months? Surely it's evident he'd like to stay if the club were prepared to match the ambition of the player?

But surely even you would agree he's unlikely to have been inspired by the last two transfer windows? And the offer of £110k per week, although a sum us fans can only dream of, is derisory for such a player in the current market.
Even West Ham and Palace have players earning more than that!
He is on record saying It’s flattering to be linked to Barcelona and people don’t say no to them.

Anyone who thinks we can replace our most influential midfielder since Modric with someone like James Maddison or *shudder* Jack Grealish is living in cloud cuckoo land.

If we do try to do so, it will be about saving money, nothing more. For fucks sake, these players don't grow on trees. The only reason for letting him go should be that we're upgrading, and, be honest, that's unlikely.

Pay the man

He's also on record as saying he wants to win titles with Spurs

Christian Eriksen says he wants to win the title with Spurs | Daily Mail Online

And that was way before any comments hinting at a desire to join Barcelona

And? This was at the beginning of his time here & he also said we had to overtake Woolwich first, which we have done. So the club is on an upward curve, no?

He has more recently said it would be hard for any player to turn down Barcelona.

Eriksen speaks out on rumours he could quit Spurs for Barcelona

Except sign the new contract?

Well, now there are signs that he may go. Even old team mate Andros Townsend said that he has made his mind up to leave and if that's true, even a fat salary increase to 200K may not make any difference.

It will be interesting to watch his performance v Leceister tomorrow and how big a shift he puts in.

And? This was at the beginning of his time here & he also said we had to overtake Woolwich first, which we have done. So the club is on an upward curve, no?

He has more recently said it would be hard for any player to turn down Barcelona.

Eriksen speaks out on rumours he could quit Spurs for Barcelona

Reading that you’d imagine he wears Barca pyjamas.

To be fair to him should he go I think he’s been a great servant to the club and great value for the £12m we paid for him. And players deserve to follow their dreams / ambitions. Barca are on a different level to us. Nobody should kid themselves otherwise.

I don’t really follow Barca that much but who would he replace? Rakitic I imagine.
I can see that happening tbh.

He’s off.

Anyone who thinks we can replace our most influential midfielder since Modric with someone like James Maddison or *shudder* Jack Grealish is living in cloud cuckoo land.

If we do try to do so, it will be about saving money, nothing more. For fucks sake, these players don't grow on trees. The only reason for letting him go should be that we're upgrading, and, be honest, that's unlikely.

Pay the man
If it's pay that is the current issue and his demands are in and around the Dele to Harry ballpark I agree but we don't know if it's financial or not so it's difficult to suggest that it's purely down to paying his worth

We'll never know, what will be with him and the club will be but I'd love to see him commit and see his future in our shirt

To be fair to him should he go I think he’s been a great servant to the club and great value for the £12m we paid for him. And players deserve to follow their dreams / ambitions. Barca are on a different level to us. Nobody should kid themselves otherwise.

I don’t really follow Barca that much but who would he replace? Rakitic I imagine.

He’s off.

It's difficult to know really where he actually fits in at Barcelona.

They've got de Jong, Busquets and Arthur for midfield next season. Barcelona fans joke about Rakitic being the managers son as he never gets dropped regardless. The club also focus on their academy and Alena has got a load of game time this season. Puig coming through the ranks etc.

I assume he just battles it out with Coutinho, who himself (costing £100,000,000+) can't even get in the team. Though I do get the feeling Valverde goes in the summer so it all depends on who the new manager is and where he feels priorities lay.

I like Eriksen but I don't think he's good enough to start in the best Barcelona team. That's just my opinion though. He's blessed here.

Thought I'd share that Harry Hotspur is a cunt and that linking to his site should be an instant ban...I'm not even going to read that trash...
Harry Hotspur is a person who craves attention, he needs to be at the top of his rather small pile and have his acolytes on bended knees pay homage to him when he utters his rather trashy and purile comments on how THFC are imploding this week. He is past getting therapy.

He’s off.
All well and good and good if we replace him with a player of equivalent quality, but you know in your heart that we wont. We didn't properly replace Carrick or Modric, it'll be another young downgrade who we hope will step up in time. And so we carry on cheerily, always with this "the future's bright" thing when in fact we keep taking steps back, or at least not keeping step with our rivals.

We should start acting like a club thats challenging to win the league. Replacing Eriksen with the likes of Maddison and Grealish isn't doing that

Back
Top Bottom