Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Barca have floated the idea of a possible Coutinho - Eriksen swap deal, this came about at a 'social' event after last night's game in Spain, not in anyway official and might never get beyond last night. Would that be such a bad deal? Coutinho is 26 same as Eriksen ... not 100% like-for-like but pretty close

Would be fine with me in a way.

Different players and Eriksen is very much a controller of games whereas Coutinho does his thing in a slightly more emphatic manner.

It is still relatively early days for Coutinho at Barcelona but I did not think he was as good as the huge transfer cost but think he would be good for us, but not as effective as a committed Eriksen.

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino says he trusts Christian Eriksen like his dog in a park. He hopes the Denmark international will commit his long-term future to the club.

He said: “I think Christian is a fantastic player. We hope that Christian can commit to the club with a long term contract but in football business it is about timings and negotiations. “He is very committed with us and I am so happy with him.

“You need to give him some freedom out on the pitch, you need to give freedom and trust in him – like my dog I the park – I say go – I trust in you. “I hope he signs for the long term.”

Hmmmm..

Would be fine with me in a way.

Different players and Eriksen is very much a controller of games whereas Coutinho does his thing in a slightly more emphatic manner.

It is still relatively early days for Coutinho at Barcelona but I did not think he was as good as the huge transfer cost but think he would be good for us, but not as effective as a committed Eriksen.
Wouldn’t want it, but if we are going down that road, Continho wouldn't be a bad option, and it would really annoy the Scousers.

So on the basis of one game he's replaceable. What about when Kane had a rough start to season, was he replaceable there? If actually remember you wanting him sold

Eriksen is replaceable though.....if he leaves, he has to be replaced.
Or do you think the project stops and the club gives up.

Its like this for me. When a player moves on, and no longer plays for Spurs, I support the guy in his place.
Others may spend the next 5 years crying about it it (Berbatov, Modric, Bale, Walker) but I prefer to support the guys wearing our shirt, not the one who fucks it off (or the guy thats never even pulled our shirt on before and never will.....like when you wanted Barkley instead of Winks, and shat on the academy)

If he signs, great....you see in the post you just quoted, I said he's an epic player on his day.

As for Kane being sold.....no, what I said last season was he was playing like a big fat slug, reminded me of Rasiak and should be dropped.
I stand for those comments too, so you dont need to make things up.

Its also funny you getting on your high horse about me criticising Kane and Eriksen.
You wrote the whole club off....now you're crawling back because the Danish league has a winter break and you had a peek at the PL table and decided you were Spurs again.

Last edited:
Anyone we're likely to (hypothetically) bring in will represent a step down...

Welcome to such a step down.

Fuck any sense of a straight swap tho... He'll be on stupid wages given his last 2 clubs and is a lesser player at a similar age.... Would require a significant top up on any fee IMO.

Besides if Barca overpaid for Coutinho; only to then sell him soon after then surely any pricetag should drop accordingly.... Obviously not the level of player they thought they were getting.

Last edited:
Anyone we're likely to (hypocritically) bring in will represent a step down...

Welcome to such a step down.

Fuck any sense of a straight swap tho... He'll be on stupid wages given his last 2 clubs and is a lesser player at a similar age.... Would require a significant top up on any fee IMO.

Besides if Barca overpaid for Coutinho; only to then sell him soon after then surely any pricetag should drop accordingly.... Obviously not the level of player they thought they were getting.

People always look at like for like replacements though, when even with a less talented replacement for Eriksen (should he leave) we could see even better performances with a change of formation, etc.
Maybe Eriksen leaves and we start using wingers for example.....maybe we play Dele, Son, Kane and Lamela, and Lamela evolves into the best DM we've ever had.

Look how many formations we've used, and types of approach in Poch's 4 years..this isnt the last way we'll ever play, and most of that depends on the players available.

People always look at like for like replacements though, when even with a less talented replacement for Eriksen (should he leave) we could see even better performances with a change of formation, etc.
Maybe Eriksen leaves and we start using wingers for example.....maybe we play Dele, Son, Kane and Lamela, and Lamela evolves into the best DM we've ever had.

Look how many formations we've used, and types of approach in Poch's 4 years..this isnt the last way we'll ever play, and most of that depends on the players available.

Tbh, i gave up on that idea some time ago re: CE. There's only so many players that good in the world... That shelf is still a little bit too exclusive for us.

I honestly feel Eriksen's eventual successor will have to have been developed over time... Not merely bought.

Eriksen is replaceable though.....if he leaves, he has to be replaced.
Or do you think the project stops and the club gives up.

Its like this for me. When a player moves on, and no longer plays for Spurs, I support the guy in his place.
Others may spend the next 5 years crying about it it (Berbatov, Modric, Bale, Walker) but I prefer to support the guys wearing our shirt, not the one who fucks it off (or the guy thats never even pulled our shirt on before and never will.....like when you wanted Barkley instead of Winks, and shat on the academy)

If he signs, great....you see in the post you just quoted, I said he's an epic player on his day.

As for Kane being sold.....no, what I said last season was he was playing like a big fat slug, reminded me of Rasiak and should be dropped.
I stand for those comments too, so you dont need to make things up.

Its also funny you getting on your high horse about me criticising Kane and Eriksen.
You wrote the whole club off....now you're crawling back because the Danish league has a winter break and you had a peek at the PL table and decided you were Spurs again.

Ooh you are awful but...

Do everything possible to keep him.

Don't even entertain the idea of him going until it's decided that he definitely wants out.

Yeah life will go on but how about avoiding the setback at all.

Last edited:
Why not if I may ask? I think he would be a great player for Barca who suits their style of play and, let's say, £80m is a steal for a player of his calibre in today's market.
I think if Pulisic went for close to 60 with 1 year on his contract.

Then a player of Christians calibre, being sold by the toughest negotiator in world football. Will cost £100mill.

Danish invasion incoming in 3...2...1....

Another newbie Dane showing up to give some input into the Eriksen situation. Although I'm no more a newbie than I've been lurking for a few months, and have been a fan for the best part of 30 years.

I agree with a lot of Vikingsen has said. I would add that an overlooked factor in the debate is what it means that he's Danish.

Take Kane as the most comparable of our players right in terms of how sought after, they would be with 18 months on their contracts. Kane is living in his hometown, playing for his childhood club, whereas Eriksen left his country as a teen, so has already been forced out of his comfort zone all of his adult life to realize his ambitions. Kane has a realistic chance for glory with his national team, while Eriksen will need a major miracle for that, so he'll need to earn major trophies at clubs (and by extention likely need huge club success to earn major individual recognition).

Also, for Kane or any other Englishman if you abandon your "own" team for say United, you'll be one in an endless line, while it'll be something special were you to do so as a Dane. Outside of England, there's something iconic about Real and Barca here in Denmark, as I'm experiencing the football community, the press, and the general public. English football as a whole is iconic in Denmark, because it was televised decades before other foreign leagues, but more as a universal thing, just as much about Wolves, Leeds etc as about a few select teams. Although very few as dominant figures in the leagues, there's been an absolute onslaught of Danish players in England. In Spain two of the greatest ever Danish players represented Real and Barca in the late 70's and early 80's, and then there was Michael Laudrup. His fame coincided with Spanish footie coming to Danish television. Seeing a Danish player being such a dominant figure for two such iconic clubs was special to most, and perhaps many thought we'd never see it again, which is something Eriksen will be aware of, despite leaving Denmark at a young age. In many ways, he's carrying the (football) hopes of a nation, but in the national team and with his club team. Those three players (Jensen at Real 70's, Simonsen at Barca 70's/80's and Laudrup) are the only three Danes to represent those two clubs (barring me forgetting someone obvious and excluding few-appearence-players). Oh, and the strange case of Thomas Gravesen being signed by Real. Which is relevant, because Eriksen would have been his early teens (if my quick head maths in corrects) and still in the Denmark at the time. Despite the sense of what the actual fuck are they signing him for, there was a serious case of everyone going nutter butters with some "finally Denmark has another Real Madrid player" euphoria going on here, which Eriksen will have noticed very much. He'll have been too young to experience Laudrup, but any Dane with a football interest will be aware of his legacy.

I'm not advocating that he should go, but there's more to it, than meets the eye, I'd say. He has a shot at becoming the greatest Danish player ever, and might be thinking he'll need to leave us to do so.

Aside from the obvious points of a meeting of minds regarding money, and Eriksen seeing us showing enough ambition and/or intent, then it all comes down to how much the lad values living - continuing to live - a settled life right now versus seeking legacy.

Sorry for the long-winded first post

Another newbie Dane showing up to give some input into the Eriksen situation. Although I'm no more a newbie than I've been lurking for a few months, and have been a fan for the best part of 30 years.

I agree with a lot of Vikingsen has said. I would add that an overlooked factor in the debate is what it means that he's Danish.

Take Kane as the most comparable of our players right in terms of how sought after, they would be with 18 months on their contracts. Kane is living in his hometown, playing for his childhood club, whereas Eriksen left his country as a teen, so has already been forced out of his comfort zone all of his adult life to realize his ambitions. Kane has a realistic chance for glory with his national team, while Eriksen will need a major miracle for that, so he'll need to earn major trophies at clubs (and by extention likely need huge club success to earn major individual recognition).

Also, for Kane or any other Englishman if you abandon your "own" team for say United, you'll be one in an endless line, while it'll be something special were you to do so as a Dane. Outside of England, there's something iconic about Real and Barca here in Denmark, as I'm experiencing the football community, the press, and the general public. English football as a whole is iconic in Denmark, because it was televised decades before other foreign leagues, but more as a universal thing, just as much about Wolves, Leeds etc as about a few select teams. Although very few as dominant figures in the leagues, there's been an absolute onslaught of Danish players in England. In Spain two of the greatest ever Danish players represented Real and Barca in the late 70's and early 80's, and then there was Michael Laudrup. His fame coincided with Spanish footie coming to Danish television. Seeing a Danish player being such a dominant figure for two such iconic clubs was special to most, and perhaps many thought we'd never see it again, which is something Eriksen will be aware of, despite leaving Denmark at a young age. In many ways, he's carrying the (football) hopes of a nation, but in the national team and with his club team. Those three players (Jensen at Real 70's, Simonsen at Barca 70's/80's and Laudrup) are the only three Danes to represent those two clubs (barring me forgetting someone obvious and excluding few-appearence-players). Oh, and the strange case of Thomas Gravesen being signed by Real. Which is relevant, because Eriksen would have been his early teens (if my quick head maths in corrects) and still in the Denmark at the time. Despite the sense of what the actual fuck are they signing him for, there was a serious case of everyone going nutter butters with some "finally Denmark has another Real Madrid player" euphoria going on here, which Eriksen will have noticed very much. He'll have been too young to experience Laudrup, but any Dane with a football interest will be aware of his legacy.

I'm not advocating that he should go, but there's more to it, than meets the eye, I'd say. He has a shot at becoming the greatest Danish player ever, and might be thinking he'll need to leave us to do so.

Aside from the obvious points of a meeting of minds regarding money, and Eriksen seeing us showing enough ambition and/or intent, then it all comes down to how much the lad values living - continuing to live - a settled life right now versus seeking legacy.

Great post, nice to hear from you: Re i think there is an inherent risk in thinking that Barca or Real are the be all and and end all of playing club football. Certainly in respect of Champions League yes they are much bigger clubs and there is the gloss and glamour that they present and the chances of winning CL is much shorter, although one might argue the balance of power in football will shift in the near future? If this is Eriksen's dream to play for them then so be it. But in respect of playing in local competitions, as I have posted before, winning the PL (the best comp around) with Spurs would immortalize all those players and management associated with this, it is the Holy Grail and Spurs are now within sight of achieving this. Winning La Liga just would not be in the same ball park, its been done by these two clubs so many times previously and to win again Ho Hum! So why go when everything is coming together, best manager, new stadium, new contract offer, settled lifestyle which would assure financial stability for Eriksen and his family for rest of his life, big decision and sometimes a persons dreams and goals change or are not viable anymore and perhaps this is what he is mulling over at this time.

You arent the dude I was talking to at the cafe langebro in Copenhagen before Christmas are you?
o_O
If not, seems like this is the general feeling amongst the Danish people.
He’s happy at Spurs...but...
He won’t likely win fuck all with Denmark
He isn’t money motivated, but wants to win trophies in his career.

Why not if I may ask? I think he would be a great player for Barca who suits their style of play and, let's say, £80m is a steal for a player of his calibre in today's market.

I’m not saying he’s not perfect for Barcelona, what I meant was they seem to be looking at other players. Their links with Rabiot for instance. I’d be more fearful of him doing the off if there was a suggestion of them sniffing around. Madrid just doesn’t seem like the team for Eriksen.

Back
Top Bottom