Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I will laugh my head off if Eriksen is left with no option but to sign for a second rate club.

He is a very good player but not based on the last year.

You mean the last year in which he scored 10 and assisted 15 ?

For his type it is play and dictate or sit on the bench. He is no Ozil in that he does the yardage but he does not tackle, rarely if ever has been the Master controller and has lost his knack for goals.

I don't think anyone interested in Eriksen is buying him to be a DM, but this season there's only 6 players - KWP, Ndombele, Aurier, Winks, Sanchez, Vertongehn - averaging more tackles a game, last season there was only 5 players all season - Trippier, Aurier, Foyth, Dier, Davies.

His pressing metrics are also better than people like Sissoko's - you can find them in this thread if you want.

Considering one of them is considered a defensive trojan and the other a lightweight. the one who's defensive stats are better is the one who's offensive stats absolutely piss all over the other too.

I have a hunch he'll end up at a half decent club. Despite him apparently "being shit" for most of the last 5 years.

Lacks the mental strength to be top of the world in his position but certainly in the top ten. And he’ll end up at a top ten club. And he’ll tear it up playing for a big team against wee teams in a slower league.

Been a great player for us. Been shite this season only. There’s no way we play someone like lo Celso as his replacement and see the assists and goals we saw from CE.

You mean the last year in which he scored 10 and assisted 15 ?

I don't think anyone interested in Eriksen is buying him to be a DM, but this season there's only 6 players - KWP, Ndombele, Aurier, Winks, Sanchez, Vertongehn - averaging more tackles a game, last season there was only 5 players all season - Trippier, Aurier, Foyth, Dier, Davies.

His pressing metrics are also better than people like Sissoko's - you can find them in this thread if you want.

Considering one of them is considered a defensive trojan and the other a lightweight. the one who's defensive stats are better is the one who's offensive stats absolutely piss all over the other too.

I have a hunch he'll end up at a half decent club. Despite him apparently "being shit" for most of the last 5 years.

Fair enough.

Not sure there is anyone who has said Eriksen has been 'shit' for the duration of his time with us. If there are I suggest you disengage as they are clearly not football fans or have partners who Eriksen has dissed!

Look my point is quite clear. I don't think Eriksen has been as good as he has been. Dispute away if you wish.

I don't think he dictates or dominates in big games and I think the better, committed and free from distraction midfielders/players do that. For us and Eriksen, read United and Pogba. Their respective clubs fear their loss for the talent they have and yet both are disrespecting their fans. The managers of both clubs should do what's right but I get the dilemma.

Eriksen is quality but he will leave a dirty stain at this rate.

Last edited:
I think Eriksen is every bit as good as he ever was. He was never quick and he is still fit.

Also however it is clear he just cannot be arsed now. All the dodgy passes, all the late interventions, missing opportunities, failing to complete just about every ball through.

I'd say he was the last player on the planet to behave like this. Wrongly. Quite clearly not the model professional people assumed. Wonder how his agent feels about his negotiation leverage, having his next club view games like Bayern and Brighton.

Fair enough.

Not sure there is anyone who has said Eriksen has been 'shit' for the duration of his time with us. If there are I suggest you disengage as they are clearly not football fans or have partners who Eriksen has dissed!

Look my point is quite clear. I don't think Eriksen has been as good as he has been. Dispute away if you wish.

I don't think he dictates or dominates in big games and I think the better, conmitted and free from distraction midfielders/players do that. For us and Eriksen, read United and Pogba. Their respective clubs fear their loss for the talent they have and yet both are disrespecting their fans. The managers of both clubs should do what's right but I get the dilemma.

Eriksen is quality but he will leave a dirty stain at this rate.

I think it's a spurious comparison, Eriksen has never been a problem for any manager, he's not a player that comes with any baggage or is a big noise in the dressing room. The only real commonality is that both want to move to Real Madrid. But Eriksen's given good service to this club, consistently for several years.

At his best, Eriksen has always been more of a quiet conductor than loud dictator, but even when he's not at his best, he's never been a lazy player, and has consistently done the things he does.

For the last 2/3 years we have been allowed to deteriorate to the point where last last season we ended up with no discernible midfield, a pair of ageing and unsettled CB's, problems with FB's, a star CF out injured for long spells again and a head coach that was losing his grip. Nobody shone last season because the team was totally disfunctional. The one constant was Eriksen, who still did Eriksen things, but contributed even more to the midfield as well, averaging more passes than all our other regular CM's - but still managing to hit 20 goals/assists for yet another season.

That's not to say he's ever been a "top tier" player. He hasn't. But he has been bloody consistent.

He was stupid to say what he did, because it made every problem about "him not wanting to be here" to the fans/media, despite that not always being the problem. Despite the fact that he's spent what will turn out to be more than half his peak professional career with us.

I hope he goes asap now, because the constant narrative is tedious and I think with the right tactical approach and better use of resources at his (the head coach - whoever that may be) disposal we can evolve into something different but good.

I think Eriksen is every bit as good as he ever was. He was never quick and he is still fit.

Also however it is clear he just cannot be arsed now. All the dodgy passes, all the late interventions, missing opportunities, failing to complete just about every ball through.

I'd say he was the last player on the planet to behave like this. Wrongly. Quite clearly not the model professional people assumed. Wonder how his agent feels about his negotiation leverage, having his next club view games like Bayern and Brighton.

I don’t think he’s being unprofessional. I’m sure he’s training as hard as ever, if he’s not and Poch is still picking him then that’s a sackable offence. It’s just that his head has totally gone and he can’t produce on the pitch.

He’s told us he doesn’t want to play for Tottenham anymore, so why is he still playing for us? He should be training hard, maintaining his fitness and be sitting in the stands most weeks. You can’t expect someone in his circumstances to perform. It’s making Poch look silly, he demands loyalty and commitment from players yet he’s still picking one who has refused to sign a contract? Of course it‘s awkward to banish him but it’s even more awkward to see him in the starting XI and playing like a training cone.

Did anyone watch the Denmark game?

Ridiculous reverse pass by Eriksen with his left foot to assist poulsen for their goal. That's what he can produce. I've noticed he always plays AM for Denmark no matter what.

Having said that Schmeichel was man of the match, made 4 world class saves.

I only watched about ten minutes.

Free kick just outside the box. Eriksen grabbed the ball, painstakingly lined it up, paused, took aim... hit the wall.

Just like he's been doing for us for the last three years!

Didn't see the assist.

I've been one of his strongest supporters over the years but feel that our time together has passed. I'm hoping that Lo Celso gets his spot after the international break.

I don’t think he’s being unprofessional. I’m sure he’s training as hard as ever, if he’s not and Poch is still picking him then that’s a sackable offence. It’s just that his head has totally gone and he can’t produce on the pitch.

He’s told us he doesn’t want to play for Tottenham anymore, so why is he still playing for us? He should be training hard, maintaining his fitness and be sitting in the stands most weeks. You can’t expect someone in his circumstances to perform. It’s making Poch look silly, he demands loyalty and commitment from players yet he’s still picking one who has refused to sign a contract? Of course it‘s awkward to banish him but it’s even more awkward to see him in the starting XI and playing like a training cone.
This is how I feel, too. We often forget that players are human, and their job is one that demands intense effort and focus. Eriksen might very well be doing everything he's supposed to at the club, but if his heart isn't in it, he's not going to produce as much as he could. It's on Poch to keep the players focused and motivated, and Levy to get them out if they are not. Both have screwed up by keeping Eriksen in the squad, and frequently the starting 11.

As repeated elsewhere, I wholly agree.

He should be nowhere near the team. Actually nowhere near the entire squad. None of the squads.
Doing shuttle runs in the far end pitch next to the janitors shed or whatever. Lifting weights alone long after first, reserve and dev squads have left for the day. Alone, with a PT.

And it shouldn't be a punishment either. Just another factor when negotiating his future. Either you sign a new contract, leave to a club of our choice or spend the next 12 months playing no competitive football whatsoever.

HIs rapid fall is quite sad.

Have to wonder if there are any miles left on his engine. Did Poch run him into the ground ? For years he covered the most distance and was hardly rotated.

Is he the player that spoke out about training ?

I wonder if half of Eriksen's problem is that he put himself out there during the summer, made the "come and get me" to the big clubs and found out that none of them actually wanted him.

It's got to be a blow psychologically. I'm sure his agent pumped him full of ideas that RM would come in for him, he'd be earning mega-money and one of the worlds biggest clubs, and he'd be a little Danish Galactico etc, only to be flatly rejected by all. It's not going to be a great confidence boost, and now he's back at a place that he mentally left during the summer...he will struggle to be at his best regardless of his physical effort.

I wonder if half of Eriksen's problem is that he put himself out there during the summer, made the "come and get me" to the big clubs and found out that none of them actually wanted him.

It's got to be a blow psychologically. I'm sure his agent pumped him full of ideas that RM would come in for him, he'd be earning mega-money and one of the worlds biggest clubs, and he'd be a little Danish Galactico etc, only to be flatly rejected by all. It's not going to be a great confidence boost, and now he's back at a place that he mentally left during the summer...he will struggle to be at his best regardless of his physical effort.

Talent wise he is good enough for Madrid, but not sure his mentality is good enough for them. He can’t do what he has done many times with us and clock off for a few months before returning to form, RM wouldn’t accept that.

No issue with him leaving for me but it’s the putting down of tools that pisses me off. Every time I moved roles before I always give my best till the end at work and try to leave on best terms. Most people at work do this but the ones that just down tools really piss me off. Eriksen comes across as one of those guys.

I was thinking exactly the same. His ego has took a massive bruising when he stuck the 'For Sale' sign on his head and nobody came calling. He never imagined for one minute he would still be here, assuming RM or Barca would be fighting to sign him up. He just doesn't make that 'superstar' rating as far as they are concerned and announcing him as a major signing would have had either set of fans muttering "Who ?". So basically he's sulking and what's worse is he's taking it out on the hand that fed him....Tottenham Hotspur.
Such a shame he will now leave a bitter taste in our mouths rather than us paying thanks and wishing him well for the future.

100% agree. But playing like this won’t help either because they’ll look at it and determine that his weak mentality won’t suit either. He’ll end up at a level similar to it weaker than us. The big boys won’t want him. I seriously doubt Bayern are interested. Paper talk.

I was thinking exactly the same. His ego has took a massive bruising when he stuck the 'For Sale' sign on his head and nobody came calling. He never imagined for one minute he would still be here, assuming RM or Barca would be fighting to sign him up. He just doesn't make that 'superstar' rating as far as they are concerned and announcing him as a major signing would have had either set of fans muttering "Who ?". So basically he's sulking and what's worse is he's taking it out on the hand that fed him....Tottenham Hotspur.
Such a shame he will now leave a bitter taste in our mouths rather than us paying thanks and wishing him well for the future.

Absolutely this ^^

A case of emperor’s new clothes with some of these darlings. I wonder what their advisors whisper in their ears to have them thinking that Barcelona, Juventus, RM will drop everything and come running.

It’s a v similar case for Dele too

I was thinking exactly the same. His ego has took a massive bruising when he stuck the 'For Sale' sign on his head and nobody came calling.

You don't know ANYTHING about whether anybody came calling or not! The most likely reason that he is still here is that Levy slammed a price tag on him that nobody wanted to pay, given that he has only a year left on his contract. And that is also the most likely reason that he is disgruntled and is underperforming, because he thinks it unfair - and with good reason. He is easily good enough for any club in the world as long as he is motivated - which obviously he isn't at the moment.

You don't know ANYTHING about whether anybody came calling or not! The most likely reason that he is still here is that Levy slammed a price tag on him that nobody wanted to pay, given that he has only a year left on his contract. And that is also the most likely reason that he is disgruntled and is underperforming, because he thinks it unfair - and with good reason. He is easily good enough for any club in the world as long as he is motivated - which obviously he isn't at the moment.
So let me get this straight. A professional footballer, who is still getting paid exactly the same salary as when he was playing well for us, is now taking that money and deliberately underperforming because he thinks the way he has been treated is 'unfair' ??.
I don't give a fuck if he's disgruntled, miffed or slightly annoyed. He's paid and contracted to do a job to the best of his abilities. So regardless of internal squabbles or personal issues with the Chairman, if he wants to convince other clubs to sign him he wants to put a shift in when selected to play. He is effectively self destructing with this attitude.
The guy has clearly realised he's not as highly rated as he thinks he should be. Levy would naturally hike the price up if RM or Barca came calling, as any other Premier club Chairman would for one of their players., knowing they have the funds to sign anyone they truly want.
No matter what has happened about clubs calling, the fact remains that the guy has effectively 'downed tools' and deserves all the shit that's being shovelled his way for adopting such a churlish attitude towards this club.

I don't give a fuck if he's disgruntled, miffed or slightly annoyed. He's paid and contracted to do a job to the best of his abilities.

In an ideal world I'd agree with that. But it is wishful thinking that a player who feels himself treated unfairly would not be affected. Also, it is harsh to say that he is deliberately underperforming. I don't think he is, since he has also been underperforming for the national team for quite a few games now, so it is his whole situation which is affecting him in a way that he cannot lay aside when he enters the pitch. Too bad, but hopefully he is off in January.

In an ideal world I'd agree with that. But it is wishful thinking that a player who feels himself treated unfairly would not be affected. Also, it is harsh to say that he is deliberately underperforming. I don't think he is, since he has also been underperforming for the national team for quite a few games now, so it is his whole situation which is affecting him in a way that he cannot lay aside when he enters the pitch. Too bad, but hopefully he is off in January.
He played well for Denmark against Switzerland and it was his superb pass that led to the goal. Let's hope he does go January and this thread can slowly melt away.

Back
Top Bottom