Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yeah he usually pulls out of most 50/50's, and is very neat and tidy with out getting involved in anything too gritty so I agree. He most probably wont get injured.

Sorry mate but cannot buy into that........
Can you imagine telling Dave Mackay,Steve Perryman, Terry Naylor, Mike England or Graham Roberts we have a player like that and he is regularly selected ? :thumbdown:
I don't want 'pulls out' but 'neat and tidy' I want fully committed and earning his pay packet every time he walks onto the pitch. The slightest indication that he is playing the way you suggest would for me absolutely guarantee he would not get injured. He wouldn't get a game.

Can you imagine telling Dave Mackay,Steve Perryman, Terry Naylor, Mike England or Graham Roberts we have a player like that and he is regularly selected ? :thumbdown:
I don't want 'pulls out' but 'neat and tidy' I want fully committed and earning his pay packet every time he walks onto the pitch. The slightest indication that he is playing the way you suggest would for me absolutely guarantee he would not get injured. He wouldn't get a game.

But we've never had a player of Eriksen's quality grace the shirt so we should let him do what he wants.

Remember, if he stays we should be grateful to him and ashamed of ourselves according to our resident Dane.

Dave Mackay,Steve Perryman, Terry Naylor, Mike England or Graham Roberts...
Hardly fair points of comparison to Eriksen. Try Glenn Hoddle, who used to pull out of 70-30s in his favour.

And no, before anyone jumps in. I'm not saying that CE is a 21st century Glenn, just that he's a betterpoint of reference than the five men that Bozza cites, two of which were centre backs and one an old-school full back).

In other news, I rode a horse called Sissoko today, far from being a speedy, energetic powerhouse it was slow, uninterested and stubborn as fuck. It should really have been called Darren Bent, I'm sure if it could have done it would have turned apathetically to the others in the group and clapped its hooves over its shoulders

It was actually called Sissuko, but the gag wouldn't have worked then

That’s the way he has always played though, very rarely has he gone in to hefty challenges, so I wouldn’t expect him to change that now.

I’m not saying that it’s right, and I’m not congratulating him for playing that way just simply stating facts.

So you can’t really hold that against him if he plays like that now because he’s always been like that.

Hardly fair points of comparison to Eriksen. Try Glenn Hoddle, who used to pull out of 70-30s in his favour.

And no, before anyone jumps in. I'm not saying that CE is a 21st century Glenn, just that he's a betterpoint of reference than the five men that Bozza cites, two of which were centre backs and one an old-school full back).

In other news, I rode a horse called Sissoko today, far from being a speedy, energetic powerhouse it was slow, uninterested and stubborn as fuck. It should really have been called Darren Bent, I'm sure if it could have done it would have turned apathetically to the others in the group and clapped its hooves over its shoulders

It was actually called Sissuko, but the gag wouldn't have worked then

Didn't compare Eriksen to them my friend...my post said....
Can you imagine telling Dave Mackay,Steve Perryman, Terry Naylor, Mike England or Graham Roberts we have a player like that and he is regularly selected ?

My point was that they would struggle to comprehend such an attitude on the pitch.It just isn't the Spurs way. If you were a manager and one of your players said "I'll always pull out of 50/50 tackles and not get involved in anything too gritty, but on the other hand I'll try to be neat and tidy"...would he be one of the first names on the team sheet ??
Does not matter what position you play if it's a 50/50 ball you go for it otherwise what's the point of being on the pitch ?

And who the fuck is Bozza ??? :bmj:
Please don't try to shorten my name, there's a good chap

Last edited:
To Summarise..........
38n85m.jpg

Very good player & the heartbeat of our team. Do all we can to keep him!

I'll give that statement 1/3. Agree with the first bit, wouldn't pay him as huge a compliment as that for the second bit and with regard to the last sentence I have to believe that the club has already done that and can only assume it's not acceptable to him.

I'll give that statement 1/3. Agree with the first bit, wouldn't pay him as huge a compliment as that for the second bit and with regard to the last sentence I have to believe that the club has already done that and can only assume it's not acceptable to him.
I feel he is usually a big miss when not playing. Well it seems he wants to try a new league so we can't change that. But making him a very good offer to stay would be the least we can do. He has been under valued for a while. But if its a matter of a new challenge then obviously nothing the club can do. But that's toby, jan & eriksen running down the contracts. Maybe your right & the club has done no wrong in these dealings. Scary to think the club has done all it can & we have 3 fairly key players running down their contracts. We are usually very good at avoiding that.

Didn't compare Eriksen to them my friend...my post said....
Can you imagine telling Dave Mackay,Steve Perryman, Terry Naylor, Mike England or Graham Roberts we have a player like that and he is regularly selected ?

My point was that they would struggle to comprehend such an attitude on the pitch.It just isn't the Spurs way. If you were a manager and one of your players said "I'll always pull out of 50/50 tackles and not get involved in anything too gritty, but on the other hand I'll try to be neat and tidy"...would he be one of the first names on the team sheet ??
Does not matter what position you play if it's a 50/50 ball you go for it otherwise what's the point of being on the pitch ?

And who the fuck is Bozza ??? :bmj:
Please don't try to shorten my name, there's a good chap

As Bill Madrid Bill Madrid said, how did those hard men react to the likes of Hoddle being regularly selected, despite not being the type to get "stuck in"? I guess as long as people like Hoddle or Eriksen are doing lots of stuff they (the Mackay's and Perryman's) can’t, they’d accept the trade off, just like players like Eriksen accept that the likes of Dier or Wanyama aren’t going to score and create chances.

In an ideal world the creatives are all tenacious bastards and the tenacious bastards are all creative geniuses. In the real world it rarely works that way and it's about balance, compromise and compliment.

And it’s not like Eriksen’s lazy either is it, he regularly covers more ground than anyone in our team. And he tackles at the same rate as people like Sissoko and Winks, and more than Moura, Lamela, Son and Kane and forces more pressure regains than Sissoko (who's supposedly a "beast").

So your analogy is pretty spurious on many fronts.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, cause I can't be arsed to read through all the pages of this thread, but there's a logic to Eriksen winding his contract down. I'm pretty sure Barca or Real would be very very much interested and snap him up if he was on a free. It's the transfer fee that is getting in the way. Eliminate that and you get your dream move.

And I don't think that he will pick up any injuries given the way he plays. So it's a safe bet for him to ride out his contract.
Don't know if you're being funny or not, but this has been mentioned about a million times already!
This has to be the most boring thread on here, been running longer than The Mousetrap
(OK, slight exaggeration but it bloody feels like it!)

As Bill Madrid Bill Madrid said, how did those hard men react to the likes of Hoddle being regularly selected, despite not being the type to get "stuck in"? I guess as long as people like Hoddle or Eriksen are doing lots of stuff they (the Mackay's and Perryman's) can’t, they’d accept the trade off, just like players like Eriksen accept that the likes of Dier or Wanyama aren’t going to score and create chances.

In an ideal world the creatives are all tenacious bastards and the tenacious bastards are all creative geniuses. In the real world it rarely works that way and it's about balance, compromise and compliment.

And it’s not like Eriksen’s lazy either is it, he regularly covers more ground than anyone in our team. And he tackles at the same rate as people like Sissoko and Winks, and more than Moura, Lamela, Son and Kane and forces more pressure regains than Sissoko (who's supposedly a "beast").

Fair comment to be honest. Your definition of my post is noted SPURious :thumbup: nice word.
Perhaps in hindsight my views were 'misplaced'....wonderful thing hindsight....sigh.
I guess I'm getting just a little frustrated with this whole Eriksen business and the idea that our season will be lost if he leaves. As Mrs Perryman Mrs Perryman said it's being going on far too long now.

I agree with what you wrote, besides the Mackay comment. He supposedly had bags of flair and brilliant control of the ball. Might have been the best midfielder in our history in hard competition with Hoddle, White, Blanchflower etc. But he could do more than bully the game into his way. I say that having to rely on those who saw him, I never did of course.

That’s the way he has always played though, very rarely has he gone in to hefty challenges, so I wouldn’t expect him to change that now.

I’m not saying that it’s right, and I’m not congratulating him for playing that way just simply stating facts.

So you can’t really hold that against him if he plays like that now because he’s always been like that.

Exactly. I have no idea how people can have watched us play the last 6 years and then suddenly now think that Eriksen isn’t tackling because of his contract running out. He has never been a player that gets stuck in. No on cared because he is a AM and is never injured.

But now suddenly it’s the only thing that some people cares about... go figure...

Back
Top Bottom