Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In all seriousness there’s no chance he signs a short extension because if nobody (he wanted to go to) bid for him this summer, why would they if he has a year or 2 left on his contract next summer?

And what exactly is the problem here? You say you have nothing against him, but also that you have a problem with him because of what? Because he doesn't want to extend his contract. Fans are fucking hypocrites. More than happy to get rid of bad players and let them leave. No one said that we should be forced to extend players like Vorm and Llorente. They have done a job for us and no one is hating on them or the club for leaving on a free. It's the same with Eriksen. He has done an amazing job for us and it's ridiculous to hate on him for not wanting to spend his whole career with us. He has not refused to play or forced a move like so many other players.

Poch chooses the team he thinks gives us the best chance at winning. Unless you want to question Poch? Poch has said that he doesn't pick players because of their contract situation. Both Toby and Eriksen has started and been played this season. All that shit about a "petulant" Eriksen is bullshit. I don't know why we have so many amateur psychologists on this forum. It's like talking to conspiracy nuts. Eriksen literally came on against Villa and gave 100% and helped us win and he has never shown any bad attitude towards the club. It's embarresssing that people are still questioning Eriksens attitude. Poch just dropped Jan because Jan isn't in form and Poch has shown numerous times that he will drop and get rid of players that have a bad attitude.

Also why should incoming players wonder why they were signed? Ndombele has literally started both games and Lo Celso didn't have a preseason with us. Lo Celso will get playing time when Poch thinks he is ready. He already got his cameo against City. What would be stupid is to force it just because some fans don't want to play Eriksen.

No one is saying that Eriksen should be a automatic pick. What we are saying is that fans should trust Poch and let him put the team out that gives us the best possible chance of winning. You want to drop Eriksen because of his contract. You even say he only deserves as much chance to play as anybody else if he renews his contract. You want to cut off your nose to spite your face. There are many games to be played and players will get more rest than last season, no reason to not use Eriksen just because his contract is running out.

You literally start your post saying that you have a problem with Eriksen, but okay... It's embarrassing seeing "fans" turn on a player because he doesn't want to extend. No one is getting "pissed about". It's football, not kindergarden. It has zero effect on team morale and whatever the fuck team directional flow is. It's pro football. It's only fans who are affected. It makes zero sense to put the blame on Eriksen for potential made up problems.

It's so easy to see when "fans" are biased when they literally make up stuff to make a player look bad. It's amazing how some people can watch our game against Villa and still question Eriksens attitude. I will defend our players until they actually show otherwise. I honestly can't even believe that this is still a thing. Some fans have convinced themselves that Eriksen has a bad attitude and nothing can change their minds.

Is that you Christian????

My opinion on the Eriksen saga is no one wants him this window.

Madrid want Pogba, and are probably willing to wait until January to get him as they have enough in midfield with Modric, Kroos, Casemiro, Isco and Rodriguez.

Barca have just let Coutinho go, so clearly arent interested in a midfielder.

Bayern have just bought Coutinho in on loan

If Juve wanted him he'd have been in a deal for Dybala.

Majority of clubs will want him to run his contract down and then go on a free next year. Whilst that is annoying that we lose a transfer fund, we only paid £11m for him and he's gave us plenty back for that.

It'd be nice if he signed a 1 or 2 year extension for a higher wage with an agreement he can go next summer for a set price, but can't see it happening.

And his wages will be quite low so we have more than got our money’s worth.

If he’s not performing he won’t play. It is as simple as that.

But I think like Toby before him he will continue to be a player we can depend on.
Just not necessarily one of the first name’s on the teamsheet.

And hopefully we don’t have to play him when he’s unfit or could just do with a rest, which I’m sure has happened in the past.

In all seriousness there’s no chance he signs a short extension because if nobody (he wanted to go to) bid for him this summer, why would they if he has a year or 2 left on his contract next summer?

As unlikely as it is that he does, the most likely motivation would be to safeguard his earning potential to make sure he's under contract somewhere; cos if he winds his contract down and then get's injured he's stuck without a new club and no wages coming in.

I do wonder though, when you weight things up it could have been 3 years of increased wage he hasn't accumulated by not agreeing a new deal with us; like Toby, does he not risk negating the potential financial benefit of being a free agent negotiating your own deal?

Last edited:
As unlikely as it is that he does, the most likely motivation would be to safeguard his earning potential to make sure he's under contract somewhere; cos if he winds his contract down and then get's injured he's stuck without a new club and no wages coming in.

I do wonder though, when you weight up it could have been 3 years of increased wage he hasn't accumulated by not agreeing a new deal with us; like Toby, does he not risk negate the potential financial benefit of being a free agent negotiating your own deal?
The money may end up being a wash or even a slight loss, but he gets to play for the team he wants to play for. Or the money could be a big win for him if he’s willing to play for a team he doesn’t want to play for.

The money may end up being a wash or even a slight loss, but he gets to play for the team he wants to play for. Or the money could be a big win for him if he’s willing to play for a team he doesn’t want to play for.

Similarly, whether RM pay us or the player I don't think would matter much to them either(*).... Just noting the gamble of the 'game' he's playing.

(*In the case of Ramsey > Juve for example.... The diff in wages and signing on fee would have just gone towards a fee to Woolwich otherwise.)

Bottom line is whoever his dream clubs are they need to be willing to invest 10s of millions of £'s in him... That continues to be the missing peice of the puzzle in this saga so far.

The only thing further I am going to add on Eriksen, who I would like to see extend his time with us, is that he is playing his worst for us at the very time he wants the big European players to wamt his services.

Strange.

The only thing further I am going to add on Eriksen, who I would like to see extend his time with us, is that he is playing his worst for us at the very time he wants the big European players to wamt his services.

Strange.
It is very weird indeed.
I could understand it perhaps if he’d secured a big money move and had taken his foot off the gas (a la Adebayor) because it’s that “comfort zone” that some players fall into (hate that kind of attitude but it’s a sad fact with some players). But it’s remarkably odd that at a time when he’s chasing a big contract, his form has dipped to a point where the “elite clubs” he dreams of playing for don’t seem that interested.
I’d love him to stay and hit that form we know he’s capable of. We have a stronger squad this season and theoretically he would have more creative freedom than last year.
But the whole saga is becoming a bit wearisome for all concerned & it does appear that he’s got one eye on the exit door even though there doesn’t seem to be too much excitement for him amongst the truly elite clubs.

It is very weird indeed.
I could understand it perhaps if he’d secured a big money move and had taken his foot off the gas (a la Adebayor) because it’s that “comfort zone” that some players fall into (hate that kind of attitude but it’s a sad fact with some players). But it’s remarkably odd that at a time when he’s chasing a big contract, his form has dipped to a point where the “elite clubs” he dreams of playing for don’t seem that interested.
I’d love him to stay and hit that form we know he’s capable of. We have a stronger squad this season and theoretically he would have more creative freedom than last year.
But the whole saga is becoming a bit wearisome for all concerned & it does appear that he’s got one eye on the exit door even though there doesn’t seem to be too much excitement for him amongst the truly elite clubs.
He's always struck me as a character that is very sure of himself. I get the feeling he honestly believes a club he wants is either going to come in for him this window, or he has already agreed his deal for next year.

It's still a massive risk and the cunt side of me wants to see what would happen if either him or Toby picked up an injury come the end of the season or even January when he can agree terms.

But at the end of the day if he doesn't want to be here, let him go. After the sorrow I felt when Bale left this will be nothing in comparison.

Heheh...

I 'love' this phenomena of peeps saying "how dare you assume he's a cunt" proceeding to assume he's a saint.... It's not at all hypocritical. :llorishuh:

But why assume Eriksen is a cunt, when he has not done anything cuntish? He has been a professional and not done anything like requesting a transfer or refused to play, he has not shown any bad attitude towards the club. He literally came on against Villa and helped us win. Dude has done nothing wrong.

The only reason people are hating on Eriksen is because he doesn’t want to extend. It’s like talking to conspiracy nuts. Some people here have convinced themselves that Eriksen has a bad attitude and it doesn’t matter that every evidence points towards them being wrong.

It makes zero sense and just makes people look like stupid haters.

But why assume Eriksen is a cunt, when he has not done anything cuntish? He has been a professional and not done anything like requesting a transfer or refused to play, he has not shown any bad attitude towards the club. He literally came on against Villa and helped us win. Dude has done nothing wrong.

The only reason people are hating on Eriksen is because he doesn’t want to extend. It’s like talking to conspiracy nuts. Some people here have convinced themselves that Eriksen has a bad attitude and it doesn’t matter that every evidence points towards them being wrong.

I didn't say he was a cunt tho.... Meanwhile, you're pilling on the hyperbole.

Is it not fair to say his wiggling his arse at other clubs in the wake of our CL final loss may stand to upset the principals of some who believe that conducting his business in the media is wrong and jeapordises the negotiating interests of the club?

If some are concerned about picking a potentially distracted player when less than essential to do so, is that really being a "conspiracy nut" "hater"? .....Or just someone thinking of the club's interests before the player?

"every evidence points towards them being wrong" - I'm guessing there isn't exactly the veritable dossier you're making out here either.

Lol look at this shite. It’s fucking embarrassing mate... :thumbdown:

That comment equates to "would he re-sign if he got injured before his contract ended?"....

It's a fair and pertinent question; not someone saying they actually want him to GET injured....

Chill... You really are being just as extreme as those you're condeming here.

It's called being passive aggressive. We all know he wants to get the fuck out even if he doesn't outwardly moan about it on twitter. All he has to do is re-sign with a release clause that reads if Real Madrid bids for 50 million he can go. But he doesn't want to take the risk of staying at this miserable club any longer and will guarantee his exit by walking out for free and joining his plan B club, Juventus next year. For the club, that means losing out on a hefty transfer fee.

Back
Top Bottom