Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

No more bemused than his team mates and his general play at present.

Mind you he probably looked at Trippier's move to Atletico and thought, look what happens when you play that badly.

Trippier done his groin in the world cup, then done his ankle first game of the season, never really recovered, and then done his groin again in December.
He was poor, but he had a reason to be. And he was the only fucker in the entire squad to hold his hands up and say it.

Eriksen missed 5 games with an "unknown injury" which probably translated to "talks with Real Madrid"
(in that time incidently: P5, W4, L1 *to Barca, Scored 8)
And all he had to say on the season was "I'll stay unless a bigger club wants me"

Oh look, no one does...how bemusing

Trippier done his groin in the world cup, then done his ankle first game of the season, never really recovered, and then done his groin again in December.
He was poor, but he had a reason to be. And he was the only fucker in the entire squad to hold his hands up and say it.

Eriksen missed 5 games with an "unknown injury" which probably translated to "talks with Real Madrid"
(in that time incidently: P5, W4, L1 *to Barca, Scored 8)
And all he had to say on the season was "I'll stay unless a bigger club wants me"

Oh look, no one does...how bemusing

We’re poor medically imo

We keep rushing players back from injury too soon

Harry
Dele
Coco
Tripps
Winksy

I suppose it’s because we have a thin squad but detrimental

BBC Sport just now :

Tottenham's Denmark international Christian Eriksen, 27, is only interested in joining three teams, Barcelona, Real Madrid or Juventus. (ESPN)
IF true, and it's a big if.
Surely hitching your skirt to both Barca and Real isn't the best way to endear yourself to the the fans.
Imagine if a player said the same thing about a potential move to Us or Woolwich.
Both sets of fans would give him the:dembelefingers:

IF true, and it's a big if.
Surely hitching your skirt to both Barca and Real isn't the best way to endear yourself to the the fans.
Imagine if a player said the same thing about a potential move to Us or Woolwich.
Both sets of fans would give him the:dembelefingers:

Although nothing in quotes so like much of rumour it is bo!!ocks.

I've got my heart set on shagging a supermodel but I've had about as much interest as poor Christian has.
I wouldn’t be quite so smug. Eriksen can play for any team in the world he wants when he’s on a free. Nobody will turn him down then. The question is are those teams willing to shell out serious dough to get him now. I’m betting no.

I wouldn’t be quite so smug. Eriksen can play for any team in the world he wants when he’s on a free. Nobody will turn him down then. The question is are those teams willing to shell out serious dough to get him now. I’m betting no.
Let's see where he ends up, if he goes at all. So far he's had a cold shower from the big clubs....he's not quite as large a star on the big stage as he or many others imagine and not getting any younger. Someone may well get him on a free next season but I don't imagine they'll be queuing up at his door to sign him. He can certainly play for any team in the world but not necessarily the ones he wants....they will be calling the tune when no transfer fee is required and he is unemployed.
We have to make contingency plans now and that's why I wouldn't play him Sunday in a relatively easy win game.

I don’t see what’s so ludicrous about it. He has 3 windows to see if Real or Barca is interested and if they are not then he can pick another club on a free transfer. Not having to deal with Levy will make it way easier to make a potential deal with another club.

Lots of clubs will offer him a contract, so it’s not like he will be in a bad spot if Barca and Real don’t want him.

He can always extend with us after the window is closed, but there’s no reason to do it now. We have all seen how many deals get made the last day of the transfer window.

I don’t see what’s so ludicrous about it. He has 3 windows to see if Real or Barca is interested and if they are not then he can pick another club on a free transfer. Not having to deal with Levy will make it way easier to make a potential deal with another club.

Lots of clubs will offer him a contract,
so it’s not like he will be in a bad spot if Barca and Real don’t want him.

He can always extend with us after the window is closed, but there’s no reason to do it now. We have all seen how many deals get made the last day of the transfer window.

The problem I have with the guy is this. It would appear fairly obvious now that he wishes to leave, offers must have been made to him by the club during his last season and he's turned them down. It is also clear that he has limited destinations in mind for his next move. If they are Barca/RM or Juve then they are not going to fork out good money if they can pick him up for free next year.
I would imagine a repeat of the Aaron Ramsey scenario greatly appeals to Christian but whether that happens again remains to be seen. Ramsey's plans were no secret for ages before his move but Eriksen does not seem to yet have a way out. No transfer haggling may seem attractive but remember he would then have to negotiate an acceptable salary whilst out of a job and end up somewhere he doesn't want to be.

Forget the player for a minute and look at it from the club's point of view. At this precise moment in time he will be leaving either during this limited window period remaining or at the end of the season. How does Poch handle that ?. Does he continue to play him and risk having a possibly 'petulant' Eriksen on the pitch and recent incoming players wondering what's happening and why they were signed ? Or does he begin life without him now and form his creative team around Lo Celso and Ndombele, using him as a substitute and offering him a chance to 'sell' himself to prospective employers when the opportunity arises.

Personally I think Poch has to make his decision as the situation is in reality NOW, and that is Eriksen will be out of contract with us end of the present campaign and currently shows no willingness to renew. That being the case he has to take advantage of the time left and get his new signings up to speed. A home match against a relatively much weaker Newcastle is an ideal opportunity to do so.

Life after Eriksen will go on, he is not the centre of our universe and maybe that's something he needs reminding of. Should he buckle down and renew a deal then naturally he deserves as much chance to play as anybody else but until then he cannot expect to be an automatic team pick.

I have absolutely nothing against him, top quality player and he has given me much pleasure and some great memories during his time at Spurs. I just don't want to see the club get 'pissed about' by these will he/won't he antics. It does little for team morale and disrupts management and team directional flow.
It is not a question of being Pro or Anti Eriksen it is treating the situation with the best interests of the club in mind and not a particular individual.

The problem I have with the guy is this. It would appear fairly obvious now that he wishes to leave, offers must have been made to him by the club during his last season and he's turned them down. It is also clear that he has limited destinations in mind for his next move. If they are Barca/RM or Juve then they are not going to fork out good money if they can pick him up for free next year.
I would imagine a repeat of the Aaron Ramsey scenario greatly appeals to Christian but whether that happens again remains to be seen. Ramsey's plans were no secret for ages before his move but Eriksen does not seem to yet have a way out. No transfer haggling may seem attractive but remember he would then have to negotiate an acceptable salary whilst out of a job and end up somewhere he doesn't want to be.

And what exactly is the problem here? You say you have nothing against him, but also that you have a problem with him because of what? Because he doesn't want to extend his contract. Fans are fucking hypocrites. More than happy to get rid of bad players and let them leave. No one said that we should be forced to extend players like Vorm and Llorente. They have done a job for us and no one is hating on them or the club for leaving on a free. It's the same with Eriksen. He has done an amazing job for us and it's ridiculous to hate on him for not wanting to spend his whole career with us. He has not refused to play or forced a move like so many other players.

Forget the player for a minute and look at it from the club's point of view. At this precise moment in time he will be leaving either during this limited window period remaining or at the end of the season. How does Poch handle that ?. Does he continue to play him and risk having a possibly 'petulant' Eriksen on the pitch and recent incoming players wondering what's happening and why they were signed ? Or does he begin life without him now and form his creative team around Lo Celso and Ndombele, using him as a substitute and offering him a chance to 'sell' himself to prospective employers when the opportunity arises.

Poch chooses the team he thinks gives us the best chance at winning. Unless you want to question Poch? Poch has said that he doesn't pick players because of their contract situation. Both Toby and Eriksen has started and been played this season. All that shit about a "petulant" Eriksen is bullshit. I don't know why we have so many amateur psychologists on this forum. It's like talking to conspiracy nuts. Eriksen literally came on against Villa and gave 100% and helped us win and he has never shown any bad attitude towards the club. It's embarresssing that people are still questioning Eriksens attitude. Poch just dropped Jan because Jan isn't in form and Poch has shown numerous times that he will drop and get rid of players that have a bad attitude.

Also why should incoming players wonder why they were signed? Ndombele has literally started both games and Lo Celso didn't have a preseason with us. Lo Celso will get playing time when Poch thinks he is ready. He already got his cameo against City. What would be stupid is to force it just because some fans don't want to play Eriksen.

Personally I think Poch has to make his decision as the situation is in reality NOW, and that is Eriksen will be out of contract with us end of the present campaign and currently shows no willingness to renew. That being the case he has to take advantage of the time left and get his new signings up to speed. A home match against a relatively much weaker Newcastle is an ideal opportunity to do so.

Life after Eriksen will go on, he is not the centre of our universe and maybe that's something he needs reminding of. Should he buckle down and renew a deal then naturally he deserves as much chance to play as anybody else but until then he cannot expect to be an automatic team pick.

No one is saying that Eriksen should be a automatic pick. What we are saying is that fans should trust Poch and let him put the team out that gives us the best possible chance of winning. You want to drop Eriksen because of his contract. You even say he only deserves as much chance to play as anybody else if he renews his contract. You want to cut off your nose to spite your face. There are many games to be played and players will get more rest than last season, no reason to not use Eriksen just because his contract is running out.

I have absolutely nothing against him, top quality player and he has given me much pleasure and some great memories during his time at Spurs. I just don't want to see the club get 'pissed about' by these will he/won't he antics. It does little for team morale and disrupts management and team directional flow.
It is not a question of being Pro or Anti Eriksen it is treating the situation with the best interests of the club in mind and not a particular individual.

You literally start your post saying that you have a problem with Eriksen, but okay... It's embarrassing seeing "fans" turn on a player because he doesn't want to extend. No one is getting "pissed about". It's football, not kindergarden. It has zero effect on team morale and whatever the fuck team directional flow is. It's pro football. It's only fans who are affected. It makes zero sense to put the blame on Eriksen for potential made up problems.

It's so easy to see when "fans" are biased when they literally make up stuff to make a player look bad. It's amazing how some people can watch our game against Villa and still question Eriksens attitude. I will defend our players until they actually show otherwise. I honestly can't even believe that this is still a thing. Some fans have convinced themselves that Eriksen has a bad attitude and nothing can change their minds.

Last edited:
And what exactly is the problem here? You say you have nothing against him, but also that you have a problem with him because of what? Because he doesn't want to extend his contract. Fans are fucking hypocrites. More than happy to get rid of bad players and let them leave. No one said that we should be forced to extend players like Vorm and Llorente. They have done a job for us and no one is hating on them or the club for leaving on a free. It's the same with Eriksen. He has done an amazing job for us and it's ridiculous to hate on him for not wanting to spend his whole career with us. He has not refused to play or forced a move like so many other players.

Poch chooses the team he thinks gives us the best chance at winning. Unless you want to question Poch? Poch has said that he doesn't pick players because of their contract situation. Both Toby and Eriksen has started and been played this season. All that shit about a "petulant" Eriksen is bullshit. I don't know why we have so many amateur psychologists on this forum. It's like talking to conspiracy nuts. Eriksen literally came on against Villa and gave 100% and helped us win and he has never shown any bad attitude towards the club. It's embarresssing that people are still questioning Eriksens attitude. Poch just dropped Jan because Jan isn't in form and Poch has shown numerous times that he will drop and get rid of players that have a bad attitude.

Also why should incoming players wonder why they were signed? Ndombele has literally started both games and Lo Celso didn't have a preseason with us. Lo Celso will get playing time when Poch thinks he is ready. He already got his cameo against City. What would be stupid is to force it just because some fans don't want to play Eriksen.

No one is saying that Eriksen should be a automatic pick. What we are saying is that fans should trust Poch and let him put the team out that gives us the best possible chance of winning. You want to drop Eriksen because of his contract. You even say he only deserves as much chance to play as anybody else if he renews his contract. You want to cut off your nose to spite your face. There are many games to be played and players will get more rest than last season, no reason to not use Eriksen just because his contract is running out.

You literally start your post saying that you have a problem with Eriksen, but okay... It's embarrassing seeing "fans" turn on a player because he doesn't want to extend. No one is getting "pissed about". It's football, not kindergarden. It has zero effect on team morale and whatever the fuck team directional flow is. It's pro football. It's only fans who are affected. It makes zero sense to put the blame on Eriksen for potential made up problems.

It's so easy to see when "fans" are biased when they literally make up stuff to make a player look bad. It's amazing how some people can watch our game against Villa and still question Eriksens attitude. I will defend our players until they actually show otherwise. I honestly can't even believe that this is still a thing. Some fans have convinced themselves that Eriksen has a bad attitude and nothing can change their minds.

We shall agree to have different viewpoints. No one is trying to make anyone look bad, just trying to fathom out what's going on.
I hope Eriksen has told Poch exactly what his situation is :
1) I'm leaving either on a free next season or if someone comes in with an offer that I find acceptable during the transfer windows and have no intention of renewing my contract.
2). If no acceptable offers are received then I want to sit down and talk about a new contract.

I totally agree it's all supposition but I find this sort of "We have to keep him at all costs" attitude puzzling. I'm not trying to make him look bad just wondering what the fuck is going on with him and wondering when it's going to get sorted.
One thing is for sure, as you quite rightly say, Poch will pick what he considers to be the best team based on all factors. Maybe the next few matches (particularly the Woolwich game) will give us an indication of his intentions regarding Eriksen.

Last edited:

I’m still waiting for the first bid to come in for him after 6 years. Maybe he’s so good nobody believes they can afford him?

My opinion on the Eriksen saga is no one wants him this window.

Madrid want Pogba, and are probably willing to wait until January to get him as they have enough in midfield with Modric, Kroos, Casemiro, Isco and Rodriguez.

Barca have just let Coutinho go, so clearly arent interested in a midfielder.

Bayern have just bought Coutinho in on loan

If Juve wanted him he'd have been in a deal for Dybala.

Majority of clubs will want him to run his contract down and then go on a free next year. Whilst that is annoying that we lose a transfer fund, we only paid £11m for him and he's gave us plenty back for that.

It'd be nice if he signed a 1 or 2 year extension for a higher wage with an agreement he can go next summer for a set price, but can't see it happening.

I think it's clear no one will stump up the cash that Levy requires for his sale in the next 10 days so we will lose him on a free next summer (or potentially a Dembele-esque cut price January deal if we are coping well without him/use him in Dybala negotiations if we are still interested).

I am fine with this as I think he's a good professional and will want to impress suitors and give Spurs a good farewell season. He will still be a very important player for us and even if he is used more sparingly as the season goes on (if Lo Celso steps up) he gives us great depth.

I’m still waiting for the first bid to come in for him after 6 years. Maybe he’s so good nobody believes they can afford him?

You know this is disingenuous, loads of clubs would bid for him, ManU wanted to sign him - but he didn’t want to go there - but they know he’s not interested in them, he’s made it clear he’s only interested in 3/4 clubs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom