Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was pulling your leg
I don't take anything BC says seriously because he seems to have next to no understanding of what football is. He's more of an accountant than a football fan.

I'd rather watch the game and make my mind up than spend the match wanking over opts stats and heat maps.

Think of it like this MIck. The world is a beautiful place, full of beautiful things, but until someone measured it, everyone thought it was flat.

That's you and football.

You can still enjoy the beauty of football and at the same time measure and try to understand it better.

This calendar year is 3 months old.

Name me a world class player who puts in world class performances every week of every year? I'll give you Messi. You list me the rest?

Name me 5 players - in Europe's big leagues - who make 50 passes a game, and average 20 goals/assists a season over the last 3/4 years?

You said he wasn’t poor though....Look at his stats!!!!!!

Then it’s shown his stats are abysmal over the last 3 months. That’s 12 games....that’s almost a third of a season. It’s not three games, it’s three months of games.

Look, go away and decide if he’s poor or not then we can continue.
If you are admitting he’s been poor then I guess we’re done.

You said he wasn’t poor though....Look at his stats!!!!!!

Then it’s shown his stats are abysmal over the last 3 months. That’s 12 games....that’s almost a third of a season. It’s not three games, it’s three months of games.

Look, go away and decide if he’s poor or not then we can continue.
If you are admitting he’s been poor then I guess we’re done.

Regardless of what I think about his form, I think even when he's not at his best he's still contributes more to our performances than many do at their best. I can count the games on one hand in the entire time he's been here where I've thought "I think we'd be better with another one of our other players in his place"

I do not think it's black and white. I don't think every game in the last three months Eriksen has been playing badly. I don't think all the games where he's not set the world on fire are all his fault.

I have explained this to you umpteen times. We, as a team, are not playing well. We have had injuries to key players. We are not always being set up well, we rarely play the same back four two games running, often don't play the same midfield two games running, as a result we are not often playing cohesively, we have a player in our midfield who is a terrible footballer, we have players who whether they admit it or not, must be fatigued mentally and physically.

That doesn't mean I think he hasn't had games where he's been meh, and Ive said as much at the time, but I'm realistic enough to evaluate beyond your "he's either shit or world class" binary take.

Now answer my questions:

Name me a world class player who puts in world class performances every week of every year? I'll give you Messi. You list me the rest?

Name me 5 players - in Europe's big leagues - who make 50 passes a game, and average 20 goals/assists a season over the last 3/4 years?

Regardless of what I think about his form, I think even when he's not at his best he's still contributes more to our performances than many do at their best. I can count the games on one hand in the entire time he's been here where I've thought "I think we'd be better with another one of our other players in his place"

I do not think it's black and white. I don't think every game in the last three months Eriksen has been playing badly. I don't think all the games where he's not set the world on fire are all his fault.

I have explained this to you umpteen times. We, as a team, are not playing well. We have had injuries to key players. We are not always being set up well, we rarely play the same back four two games running, often don't play the same midfield two games running, as a result we are not often playing cohesively, we have a player in our midfield who is a terrible footballer, we have players who whether they admit it or not, must be fatigued mentally and physically.

That doesn't mean I think he hasn't had games where he's been meh, and Ive said as much at the time, but I'm realistic enough to evaluate beyond your "he's either shit or world class" binary take.

Now answer my questions:

Why should I answer your questions?
I’m not prepared to sit there looking up pointless stats.
I don’t care what Eriksen did three years ago because I’m not slagging him off for that.

What I’m slagging him off for is his form generally this season and in particular this calendar year.

I can name loads of players with more goals and assists in this time frame, one of them is Ryan Fraser

The team hit the wall on the 10 day break before Burnley, thought at the time it was madness not to take them to Barca during that time, and, give them a full bells and whistles pampering recovery and togetherness schedule, in the sun.

Eriksen says he is not game fatigued, but I think he is (the group are) training fatigued, for whatever reason, leading to a turgid version of ourselves taking over after this break. Hopefully they get it right during this next break in games, we need some zest and gusto back. The new stadium will give them the extra adrenaline due to proximity of fans, as long as they aren't playing dreadfully it should hopefully give the group a lift through seasons end.

As said by others, if he goes and we get decent coin come the summer, then good luck Christian (no English team proviso).

Who is actually in form at the moment ?

So weighing up a 27yo player based on his last 3 months is more viable than the previous 6 months, or the previous 5 years? What kind of logic is that.

Eriksen was shit in March so I'm right "he's shit". The fact that he's been one of Europe's best players of his ilk for 5-6 years means nothing?

You yourself are saying there is a dip in his form? This must surely acknowledge the endemic quality of the player, otherwise it's not a dip in form, he's just "Sissoko" - ie inherently not a very good footballer?

If Kane doesn't score in August is he shit ?

Football is played in seasons, therefore as well as judging players generally over the body of their career, we also judge players contributions to overall seasons. Every season Eriksen contributes enormously, tangibly, productively to our seasons. He's invariably in the the top 2 assisters, always top key passer, when he was an AM he always saw more ball than all the others, now he's playing as a CM more, he sees as much or more than our other CM's, and more than many in this league.

The argument I put forward wasn't just irrational excuses, we are playing badly as a team, even when Eriksen was scoring and assisting, our general performances we pretty poor. It's no coincidence that this is happening when we have virtually no midfield, or an athlete with piss poor brain and technique as half the midfield all season. When no other team had more players playing more minutes in the summer, when some of our best players have had injuries, Son has played two tournaments, a WC and back to back seasons, a manager who insists on playing Moura as a CF and formats that don't seem to suit the players we have.

I can't think of a single aspect of us right now that is right.

He might not be the second coming, but he's has been our most influential footballer (and we have a bunch of other decent footballers) over the last 4 years, and one of the most productive in Europe of his kind.

Anyone that says Sissoko is great and Eriksen is shit needs to be sent to the Gibbs farm.

Sissoko is great and Eriksen is greater

Gotta trust ole Baz

Think of it like this MIck. The world is a beautiful place, full of beautiful things, but until someone measured it, everyone thought it was flat.

That's you and football.

You can still enjoy the beauty of football and at the same time measure and try to understand it better.
Absolutely no sign of arrogance in that answer at all.
Pretty much sums you up though. If someone showed you a classic masterpiece painting because you don't understand it you would try to classify it by the number of pots of paint used, the number of brush strokes, the amount of colours, thickness of the canvas and size of the frame
"Oh really, what was the painting about?"
"It was a picture of some vacant looking bint with a gormless smile, called Lisa"

I have a science degree and I'm well aware of the value of figures and statistics, but in a sporting context they are meaningless without appreciating the circumstances and impact on a game and for that you have to look up and understand what you're seeing.
You appear not to have that level of understanding and I feel sorry for you.

Absolutely no sign of arrogance in that answer at all.
Pretty much sums you up though. If someone showed you a classic masterpiece painting because you don't understand it you would try to classify it by the number of pots of paint used, the number of brush strokes, the amount of colours, thickness of the canvas and size of the frame
"Oh really, what was the painting about?"
"It was a picture of some vacant looking bint with a gormless smile, called Lisa"

I have a science degree and I'm well aware of the value of figures and statistics, but in a sporting context they are meaningless without appreciating the circumstances and impact on a game and for that you have to look up and understand what you're seeing.
You appear not to have that level of understanding and I feel sorry for you.
49f7469e2062e9febf8693e04b318e9d

Its not rocket science:
Ive said Eriksen can be world class on his day about ten times
Ive also said his day isnt often enough to carry that tag outright, and he's not consistent enough.
This is one of those periods

There's nothing really to disagree with there. You know it, I know it, we all know it.
So bang on all you want about other players, but they have zero bearing on Eriksen.

When Kane plays like shit, I compare Kane to Kane. I dont say "Andy Carroll is shit so that means Kane is playing well". Keep shifting the parameters around, I dont care.

You are making excuses for someone being in poor form, who you dont think is in poor form.

You love stats but ignore that 2 goals and 1 assist in the last 12 games, where as the previous 24 games yielded 16 goals and assists is a dip in form. Eriksen is becoming a no show, especially in the big games.

Just simple facts, and you can drag up all the heat maps and "pressure events" you want....the bloke is supposedly 200M, I couldnt give a fuck if he jockeys a lot and runs about a bit. His production has more than halved this calender year, and as our designated set piece taker, hasnt scored a free kick in the PL since 2015, and cant hit the 6yrd box from a corner.

I genuinely believe we will improve when he fucks off, and if he signs, then we'll see a return to form.
So if the Eriksen of old makes a return, you have fuck all right to be all over it, because you think hes fine right now. You cant get back to form if you never lost form.

It was the same when everyone denied Dele and Kane were playing shit, then tried to praise them for working through it and getting back to their best.....naaah mate, doesnt work like that.
Get some faaaking propah players in who'll bleed for the facking shirt mate. had enuf of these fookin superstars fook that cunt

I was pulling your leg
I don't take anything BC says seriously because he seems to have next to no understanding of what football is. He's more of an accountant than a football fan.

I'd rather watch the game and make my mind up than spend the match wanking over opts stats and heat maps.
He obviously watches the game, maybe you should as well? I just don't think you appreciate the things he does well, everything isn't goals and assists. Probably haven't even noticed he's playing a completely different role compared to past seasons

He obviously watches the game, maybe you should as well? I just don't think you appreciate the things he does well, everything isn't goals and assists. Probably haven't even noticed he's playing a completely different role compared to past seasons
He's nearly 70 - cut him some slack, mate

Regardless of what I think about his form, I think even when he's not at his best he's still contributes more to our performances than many do at their best.

Seeing as you love questions so much, which players does Eriksen perform better than when he's not as his best and they are? You cannot use Sissoko as an answer because you're clearly in need of a golden retriever by your side when it comes to him.

Back
Top Bottom