Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Great post, nice to hear from you: Re i think there is an inherent risk in thinking that Barca or Real are the be all and and end all of playing club football. Certainly in respect of Champions League yes they are much bigger clubs and there is the gloss and glamour that they present and the chances of winning CL is much shorter, although one might argue the balance of power in football will shift in the near future? If this is Eriksen's dream to play for them then so be it. But in respect of playing in local competitions, as I have posted before, winning the PL (the best comp around) with Spurs would immortalize all those players and management associated with this, it is the Holy Grail and Spurs are now within sight of achieving this. Winning La Liga just would not be in the same ball park, its been done by these two clubs so many times previously and to win again Ho Hum! So why go when everything is coming together, best manager, new stadium, new contract offer, settled lifestyle which would assure financial stability for Eriksen and his family for rest of his life, big decision and sometimes a persons dreams and goals change or are not viable anymore and perhaps this is what he is mulling over at this time.

Oh, I agree 100%, but then we're insanely biased!

End of the day, it's a straight choice between the lure of a few traditionally huge clubs (no matter what we may think of that, it will be the general feeling, and likely Eriksen's feeling) with the greater chance of a huge legacy vs a different kind of legacy with us and not uprooting his young family to a country, where they don't speak the language etc.

Also agree that the glory of taking us to the top would be a vastly different achievement to doing it with an already huge club/team, and I get the feeling that Christian gets that and it means something to him, based on nothing more than how his attitude and demeanor. Plus how fairly laid-back Danes, especially outside of Copenhagen tend to be.

My gut feeling is that it's more likely than not, that he'll sign on, as long as he feels Levy isn't bending him over with wages (compared to what he could get elsewhere and others at Spurs) AND he feels there's a reasonable chance of us taking the final steps towards major trophies within his peak years.

You arent the dude I was talking to at the cafe langebro in Copenhagen before Christmas are you?
o_O
If not, seems like this is the general feeling amongst the Danish people.
He’s happy at Spurs...but...
He won’t likely win fuck all with Denmark
He isn’t money motivated, but wants to win trophies in his career.

Small world...not that it was me, but used to right around the corner and come there quite often.

Obviously, he wants money. We all do. It's often said that footballers should maximize as they have short careers. Granted that's true if you're on 5-10k a week and get a shot at a 20-25k contract elsewhere. But once you're into the 100k+ bracket as Eriksen will be with his next contract, then the money's so big that the difference is marginal. Unless you're some cunt like the one at Woolwich who needs 139 supercars. If you cannot invest 100k+ a week well enough to live in something close to luxury for the rest of your days, then you'll muck up any amount anyhow. Eriksen is smart enough to realize this, I'm certain.

Danish invasion incoming in 3...2...1....

Another newbie Dane showing up to give some input into the Eriksen situation. Although I'm no more a newbie than I've been lurking for a few months, and have been a fan for the best part of 30 years.

I agree with a lot of Vikingsen has said. I would add that an overlooked factor in the debate is what it means that he's Danish.

Take Kane as the most comparable of our players right in terms of how sought after, they would be with 18 months on their contracts. Kane is living in his hometown, playing for his childhood club, whereas Eriksen left his country as a teen, so has already been forced out of his comfort zone all of his adult life to realize his ambitions. Kane has a realistic chance for glory with his national team, while Eriksen will need a major miracle for that, so he'll need to earn major trophies at clubs (and by extention likely need huge club success to earn major individual recognition).

Also, for Kane or any other Englishman if you abandon your "own" team for say United, you'll be one in an endless line, while it'll be something special were you to do so as a Dane. Outside of England, there's something iconic about Real and Barca here in Denmark, as I'm experiencing the football community, the press, and the general public. English football as a whole is iconic in Denmark, because it was televised decades before other foreign leagues, but more as a universal thing, just as much about Wolves, Leeds etc as about a few select teams. Although very few as dominant figures in the leagues, there's been an absolute onslaught of Danish players in England. In Spain two of the greatest ever Danish players represented Real and Barca in the late 70's and early 80's, and then there was Michael Laudrup. His fame coincided with Spanish footie coming to Danish television. Seeing a Danish player being such a dominant figure for two such iconic clubs was special to most, and perhaps many thought we'd never see it again, which is something Eriksen will be aware of, despite leaving Denmark at a young age. In many ways, he's carrying the (football) hopes of a nation, but in the national team and with his club team. Those three players (Jensen at Real 70's, Simonsen at Barca 70's/80's and Laudrup) are the only three Danes to represent those two clubs (barring me forgetting someone obvious and excluding few-appearence-players). Oh, and the strange case of Thomas Gravesen being signed by Real. Which is relevant, because Eriksen would have been his early teens (if my quick head maths in corrects) and still in the Denmark at the time. Despite the sense of what the actual fuck are they signing him for, there was a serious case of everyone going nutter butters with some "finally Denmark has another Real Madrid player" euphoria going on here, which Eriksen will have noticed very much. He'll have been too young to experience Laudrup, but any Dane with a football interest will be aware of his legacy.

I'm not advocating that he should go, but there's more to it, than meets the eye, I'd say. He has a shot at becoming the greatest Danish player ever, and might be thinking he'll need to leave us to do so.

Aside from the obvious points of a meeting of minds regarding money, and Eriksen seeing us showing enough ambition and/or intent, then it all comes down to how much the lad values living - continuing to live - a settled life right now versus seeking legacy.

Sorry for the long-winded first post
Great post mate.

I do also get the impression that to date his career has also been well managed, well planned and executed. There is an intelligence behind the plan, he left one of the biggest names in World football (with Trophies and titles) to come to Spurs. I think Spurs have given him a platform to develop, become a key member in the side and a Worldwide exposure (although nothing as big as it could have been if he joined any other of the other big 6 sides, BUT at the time of joining us he was still only 21 and I doubt he would have got the game time in most of those other teams).

I think there has been a degree of disruption within the Elite clubs recently those that he could go to (or had planned to go to). Whilst Barca is still an Elite side they no longer have the invisibility to them (they might reignite it but I don't see their academy coming up with anything like the crop of players that they enjoyed a few years ago), Real Madrid would appear to be imitating Utd at the moment, they look far from the Elite team they have been over the last decade and they are not acting like one in the transfer market (no galacticos singed for a number of years, also coincides with what is a downturn of performance). Bayern, whilst again still massive club on the field they've lost their invincibility. Whilst Juve continues to dominate their domestic league they have plateaued in Europe (all be it still at a consistently high level). Woolwich has dropped out and Spurs are on a level with Chelsea.

Meanwhile, City and PSG have gatecrashed the established elite, although I think both are underperforming in Europe.

Then you have one of the biggest disruptors there is, Tottenham, a Club that is attempting to compete with the elite, whilst other clubs are clearly showing a significant drop-off, we are showing nothing other than an upward trajectory. The gaps are still huge but there is a narrowing both on and off the pitch. I think deciding on your next move (be that planned or more off the cuff) has gotten harder for him, there is no obvious defacto boss in Europe, there is based on history, but judging on the here and now there are a lot of factors in play, more than there ever has been.

Not trying to be a spoilsport, but I still think he will go, not this window or this summer, but there is a real risk he will run down his contract. It would be lovely to get 80m+ for him here and now, but he has an infant baby (at least that one isn't #ClaimedByKane. Yet) and is unlikely to uproot now or even in the summer. Tbh everything looks right from his perspective for seeing out the last 2 years calmly.

Am in two minds, because he still is a model professional and he would still have been a massively good value for the money spent.

Either way, all the best of luck to him. I just wish he would be the first foreign star to commit to this programme, erhm, project.

Not trying to be a spoilsport, but I still think he will go, not this window or this summer, but there is a real risk he will run down his contract. It would be lovely to get 80m+ for him here and now, but he has an infant baby (at least that one isn't #ClaimedByKane. Yet) and is unlikely to uproot now or even in the summer. Tbh everything looks right from his perspective for seeing out the last 2 years calmly.

Am in two minds, because he still is a model professional and he would still have been a massively good value for the money spent.

Either way, all the best of luck to him. I just wish he would be the first foreign star to commit to this programme, erhm, project.

Hasn’t Son committed to it ?

That's what he did at Ajax, but he knows that no team can afford him once he pens a new deal. We still gonna get someting like £80m if we sell him in the summer, we bought him for £12m.
You have to take player price inflation into account, £12m is today’s £30m
Would levy spend the £80m you say on a player?! I think we know the answer so selling a player like Eriksen is disastrous in the same way as was selling modric and bale. The reason being we are not behaving like a big club, we need culture change.

You have to take player price inflation into account, £12m is today’s £30m
Would levy spend the £80m you say on a player?! I think we know the answer so selling a player like Eriksen is disastrous in the same way as was selling modric and bale. The reason being we are not behaving like a big club, we need culture change.
What would you do if he doesn't sign a new contract? Sell him in the summer (of 2019) or let him go on a free one year later?

According to AS Real wants to include James Rodriquez in a deal for Eriksen in the summer.

My viewing of James is limited but wouldn't he be as close to a like for like replacement as we could get if that ends up being actually legit?

It might be time to change formation to get the best out of him with all the injuries.

4-4-1-1

With him being the playmaking goalscorer behind Llorente.

Wouldn't normally recommend it as it is a bit of the VdV Arry days and Llorente Swansea days but needs must.

Back
Top Bottom