Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Certainly passed his audition didn't he?
God I hope he signs a new contract and stays with us.

Pains me to say it but after that performance, he is gone.

Would love to be proven wrong and a nice surprise within the next few weeks would be Eriksen signing a new deal.

That pass......

(do not underestimate Lamela's pass too, easy ball to play but it's all about the timing, he waits for Lucas to join the attack before he passes to Kane, if that ball is passed sooner we don't score).

That pass......

(do not underestimate Lamela's pass too, easy ball to play but it's all about the timing, he waits for Lucas to join the attack before he passes to Kane, if that ball is passed sooner we don't score).

It's crazy to even say this after Eriksen's pass but Lamela is the absolute best at our club for timing passes.

Always been against the idea of dropping him back; fearing we'd miss his creativity further up the field, but when he's playing like that, it certainly puts such concerns in the shade... (With nippy goal-scoring AMs being the relative norm in the game these days, I'd suggest a creative pressing machine such as Eriksen would be a lot harder to source at feasible expense too.)

Interesting when you consider the wide clamor for a revamp of our midfield... So much depends on what system(s) Poch sees as our primary set-up as we move fwd (also see FB vs WB dillema if shopping for the future).

Summer 18: DM: Dier/Wanyama/Sissoko/Skip + CM: Winks/Dembele

Summer 19: DM: Sissoko/Dier/Skip + CM: Winks/Eriksen/Dele (whilst bolstering the AM depth to supplement D & C's deeper positions?

Just waxin'....

Last edited:
Always been against the idea of dropping him back; fearing we'd miss his creativity further up the field, but when he's playing like that, it certainly puts such concerns in the shade... (With nippy goal-scoring AMs being the relative norm in the game these days, I'd suggest a creative pressing machine such as Eriksen would be a lot harder to source at feasible expense too.)

Interesting when you consider the wide clamor for a revamp of our midfield... So much depends on what system(s) Poch sees as our primary set-up as we move fwd (also see FB vs WB dillema if shopping for the future).

Summer 19: DM: Sissoko/Dier/Skip + CM: Winks/Eriksen/Dele (whilst bolstering the AM depth tho supplement D & C's deeper positions?

Just waxin'....
The thing with Eriksen is he will find the space, be that deep or behind the forwards, be it him looking ofr it in games or a tactical formation decision, he will excel. The only time he's been poor his when the oppo decide to man mark him that does mean they sacrifice a player and we should take advantage (Mourinho will always put Herrera on him).

Midfield requires a very dynamic baller, vertical runner, someone who can keep the ball while being pressed, play through a press, very hard to find.

The thing with Eriksen is he will find the space, be that deep or behind the forwards, be it him looking ofr it in games or a tactical formation decision, he will excel. The only time he's been poor his when the oppo decide to man mark him that does mean they sacrifice a player and we should take advantage (Mourinho will always put Herrera on him).

Midfield requires a very dynamic baller, vertical runner, someone who can keep the ball while being pressed, play through a press, very hard to find.

Indeed, and in terms of the level we aspire to (or at least the more expectant amongst our fan base) requires someone of a Modrich, Pirlo type calibre. Look at the glamour business Chavs did at CM in the summer.... 2 x 70m players (albeit one on loan from RM) and the question marks still remain(*).

I guess my theory is as good as CE is, we likely couldn't afford a better ball-playing CM than him if we specifically went shopping for one.

(*Notice the wank-fest over "must have" Kovacic in our circles died off pretty quickly...)

Summer 19: DM: Sissoko/Dier/Skip + CM: Winks/Eriksen/Dele (whilst bolstering the AM depth tho supplement D & C's deeper positions?

Just waxin'....

Told you.

tenor.gif

Indeed, and in terms of the level we aspire to (or at least the more expectant amongst our fan base) requires someone of a Modrich, Pirlo type calibre. Look at the glamour business Chavs did at CM in the summer.... 2 x 70m players (albeit one on loan from RM) and the question marks still remain(*).

I guess my theory is as good as CE is, we likely couldn't afford a better ball-playing CM than him if we specifically went shopping for one.

(*Notice the wank-fest over "must have" Kovacic in our circles died off pretty quickly...)
Winks and Dier are good ball players but both are nullified when pressed, Winks with a higher skill level and probably ceiling than Dier. Neither on the level of Eriksen's vision and creativity but not expecting them to be, Eriksen can be a free player.

We need a new Dembele/Wanyama, I know these players are different but both can beat a press, provide a base for our possession and control, whilst providing that screen for the defence.

Yeh, but you wanna play him and Dele deep with no destroyer in between them... Whadya think this is? ...La Liga or some fancy bollocks like that?!?!?!:allitongue:

I still don't think that's too much of an issue in certain fixtures. We ripped Liverpool apart with a midfield 3 of Eriksen/Winks/Dele and all of our best play last night came with a midfield 3 of Dele/Winks/Eriksen too.

I wouldn't go away to Anfield with that midfield 3. I wouldn't go away at the Etihad with that midfield 3 either but Eriksen and Dele in a midfield 3 with someone like Wanyama, Dembele or a new defensive minded footballer or someone who can beat a press (Rabiot, Barrios, Ndombele etc) would work wonders and take us up a level, in my opinion.

I still don't think that's too much of an issue in certain fixtures. We ripped Liverpool apart with a midfield 3 of Eriksen/Winks/Dele and all of our best play last night came with a midfield 3 of Dele/Winks/Eriksen too.

I wouldn't go away to Anfield with that midfield 3. I wouldn't go away at the Etihad with that midfield 3 either but Eriksen and Dele in a midfield 3 with someone like Wanyama, Dembele or a new defensive minded footballer or someone who can beat a press (Rabiot, Barrios, Ndombele etc) would work wonders and take us up a level, in my opinion.

Much like you've already conceded, for certain games, sure let's be aggressive with our line-up, but as a go-to policy I can't get down with it. Noticed tho', you shifted from framing it with Winks (a non-destroyer) to Dembele & Vic (both hench)... (Oh, Totti... Did you honestly think you'd get that past me? :sonpoint: )

Agreed though, aside from upgrading to world-class wing-backs (a la 15/16/17), CM is where any significant leap is likely to happen atm.

Saying that, when playing well there's not a lot wrong on that front, I just think that if we can settle a bit more in terms of a CM system, we can actually recruit the right players to provide the necessary quality of depth (which we have at CB, GK & AM already*)... Whereas depending on formation, as we've seen this season, we can look incredibly thin with a couple of injuries at CM/DM.

(*That said, if we continually play CE & DE deeper, I'd like to see us bring in 1 high quality AM to compensate.)

Would love to be proven wrong and a nice surprise within the next few weeks would be Eriksen signing a new deal.

You say we don't need a striker.

I guarantee you he is more likely to stay if we show we can win things as opposed yo just compete.

A world of difference.

Trophies over plaudits with a topping of salary!

Is HITC a satire site? Just read and article with the headline "Mauricio Pochettino must bring Erik Lamela back for Tottenham vs Burnley and drop Christian Eriksen". Some of the "brilliant" insights being; "Christian Eriksen and Heung-Min Son were nowhere near their best" and "Poch should consider dropping Eriksen or Son, as neither really offered anything of note against Barca." I mean it has to be satire or this person didn't watch the game. Or it could be a spurs supporter hoping other clubs scouts are not watching the games but just reading articles to judge how someone players :D

That pass......

I didn't realise it at the time but Kane's first touch from the ball Lamela played through to him was immaculate. Got it out of his feet and put his angles into a real dangerous position. Many would have fumbled a little bit and lost the cutting edge but his touch made the threat so much more dangerous

Winner winner, chicken badge dinner.

Just said exactly the same thing - almost to the word - in the ratings thread.

Really? Didn’t think we had given up hope that quickly.

I thought he always dragged his feet a bit with contracts.

Honestly can’t bare to lose that man, would hurt more than bale.

I think he might be waiting to see what happens this season, he could sign a contract and still leave in 2-3 years. Who would his suitors be aswell? Real? That’s the only team in the world I think would need him that could afford him at this point.

With our first new season at the new stadium, all the positivity and expectation around next season if we finish this one well. I would think levy would do everything in his power to stop him from leaving, and Levy is quite persuasive.

Back
Top Bottom