Christian Eriksen

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What did i learn this weekend??

Eriksen delivers a corner to the far post for the first time in 300 years and Kane scores.

giphy.gif

I'll never say we don't need Harry, but these last 2 games we've seen nice little link ups that we don't see so much when he's the main focus of attack.

Playing without Kane (or any striker) forces the midfield to push on. So against a team packing the box who will be triple marking Kane he has to drop deep to pick the ball up in a bid to be effective anyway. Against that sort of opposition, if our midfield are all on it (as they where yesterday) then we are more dangerous without Kane than with him imo.

Christ, I love Eriksen.

When we went on our post-Bale spending spree he was the one player I was most excited about.

There’s a Dane who posts on SC that I became friends with, and used to meet up with for games at WHL fairly often for a bit. He would sing Eriksen’s praises to the moon, and I started keeping an eye on his performances at Ajax. There was so much hype around him that I never anticipated he’d end up here (bit like Lucas Moura, but to a lesser extent).

Weird how that magnificent seven ended up. Capoue, Chadli, Paulinho, Chiriches, and Soldado I suspect we more or less broke even on. Didn’t we actually turn a profit on Paulinho? Lamela and Eriksen (especially the latter) must be worth much more. I think we spread our bets and ultimately came out winning.

Christ, I love Eriksen.

When we went on our post-Bale spending spree he was the one player I was most excited about.

There’s a Dane who posts on SC that I became friends with, and used to meet up with for games at WHL fairly often for a bit. He would sing Eriksen’s praises to the moon, and I started keeping an eye on his performances at Ajax. There was so much hype around him that I never anticipated he’d end up here (bit like Lucas Moura, but to a lesser extent).

Weird how that magnificent seven ended up. Capoue, Chadli, Paulinho, Chiriches, and Soldado I suspect we more or less broke even on. Didn’t we actually turn a profit on Paulinho? Lamela and Eriksen (especially the latter) must be worth much more. I think we spread our bets and ultimately came out winning.
Eriksen's value is up there with Courtinho, I think he's an even better player than him. Lamela in today's market is around the £60m mark, so when you here Italian Clubs coming in for him you just know it's utter bollocks. That's approx £210m for just those two, we made a small profit on Paulinho and losses on the others but, we were quick to get rid on the others. The only thing it cost us was time, felt it put us back a couple of years.

Great that both are still only 26yrs old, just hitting prime.

Christ, I love Eriksen.

Eriksen's value is up there with Courtinho, I think he's an even better player than him. Lamela in today's market is around the £60m mark, so when you here Italian Clubs coming in for him you just know it's utter bollocks. That's approx £210m for just those two, we made a small profit on Paulinho and losses on the others but, we were quick to get rid on the others. The only thing it cost us was time, felt it put us back a couple of years.

Great that both are still only 26yrs old, just hitting prime.

I got interested about this Bale-money thing previously and made a recap to another fan forum, I'd just share it here as well (NB! some of the current achivements/situations might be out of date, but not too badly :) ):

Okay mates, time has passed and water has flown to ocean, short recap how we did with the guys we brought this summer. Note - all the sums are based on Transfermarkt data.

As we all remember, we brought 7 players.
Following is recap of purchase price, selling price and where they are now.
Eriksen; ~12 mil ; still here and rocking! whatta purchase
Lamela; ~27 mil ; with us, unfortunate injury but helped us reach 3rd place while being starter in 15/16; now recovering and gathering form

Paulinho; ~18 mil ; ~12.5 mil ; went to China, now very surprisingly ended up in Barca and has scored already 4 goals for them
Capoue; ~10 mil ; ~8 mil ; sold to Watford where he has had reasonable success, in start of last season was among top scorers of the league! This year struggling a bit.
Chadli; ~7 mil ; ~14 mil ; sold to WBA ; had reasonable campaign last year, this season injured
Soldado; ~27 mil ; ~ 14 mil ; sold to Villareal, struggled there as well now is playing together with Janssen in Fenerbache; just scored his first hat-trick for the club.
Chiriches; ~8,5 mil ; ~6 mil; sold to Napoli, where he has got reasonable playing time; this season sitting on the bench as Napoli is leading the Serie A race.

So in total we have 2 left and 5 are sold.
From the sold ones we made loss of 15.5 mil.

That means when we look at the window as a whole (value the players as portfolio) and add money paid for Eriksen and Lamela, it means we purchased 2 of the starting players in 15/16 season when we were in the title race for 54.7 mil.

But on the topic of our great Dane... in the recent light of Ozil completing his 50 assists in EPL, I thought to revisit this issue of "Özil vs Eriksen" from perspective of numbers and results. So buckle up, stat attack coming your way ;) .

Background a bit -
Özil joined our lousy neighbours at the very end of 2013 summer transfer window for remarkable 47 million euros from Real Madrid as very established player.
Eriksen joined at the very same time from Ajax for only 13,5 million. He has been marked as player "with great potential" etc. But not yet fully established star.
So we brought 3,5 years younger player for 3,5 times less money in this case :)

First off - let's start with mentioned assists stats.
It is true that Ozil has reached half-hundred milestone sitting at exactly 50 assists. Eriksen has managed 46 up to now. Özil reached the milestone with roughly 12 000 minutes making it around 1 assists for every 240 minutes of EPL football. Eriksen has played 13 700 minutes making his respective ratio of 1 assists per 298 minutes.

So that was creating stats, but how about finishing attacks themselves?
Across the same number of minutes played, Eriksen has scored 38 and Ozil 27. Dividing this up to per minute metrics then CE scores EPL goal on average per 360 minutes and Ozil per every 444 minutes. Combining the two numbers then Eriksen creates or scores one for 163 minutes and Ozil for 155. But at the same time we have to consider fact that they had exactly the same time to collect playing minutes. Yet the Dane has managed to collect 1700 more, that equals to 19 (!) full games more! That is half of the season across 4,8 seasons in the clubs. It makes it even more impressive that maximum time that either of them could have collected would have been 16400 minutes. So Eriksen has played 83,5% of possible maximum playing time (vs 73,2% of Ozil). So the Dane is clearly more dependable! In absolute numbers it reflects as CE has 84 goals+assists over 77 of Ozil.

Up to now we have established that Eriksen has been more dependable over his time in EPL and in turn for that has more goals+assists then Ozil... but where the real difference comes out is the overall contribution to the team. Hard work that is more difficult to measure.

In the midfield Eriksen has disposessed the opposition player in total of 123 times which is twice the amount that Ozil has managed it (66 times). Moving to more defensive positions - Eriksen has made 203 takcles with success rate of 75% (so 152 successful ones) vs Ozils 132 with 73% success rate (93 successful tackles). Clear winner. Moving even deeper into our own half, Eriksen (yes, our AM maestro) has blocked 150 shots! While Ozil has stopped 50. THREE TIMES DIFFERENCE.

I mean if you combine the last 3 stats, it is hard to argue, that CE has clearly avoided quite a few goals that opposition team could have scored. So his "net goals+assists" could be even way more better (meaning he has created and finished more himself but also prevented conceded goals).

Watching last season only (could not find aggregated stats) from Squaka, then Ozil pass completion was higher (87% vs 80% of Eriksen) but at the same time Eriksen pass lenght was 18,7 meters and Ozils 15,6 meters. And with all this passing CE managed to create 112 chances against Ozils 100. Where Ozil shines is that his "successful take on's" ratio is at 64% against Eriksens 43,5%. Also his "duels won" ratio is at 51% vs Eriksens 40% but it is partly explainable that CE actually did not shy away from defencive duties like Ozil did...

So shorter recap -
- Eriksen is more reliable
(played 83,5% of total possible time vs 73,2% of Ozil)
- Due to first point his total output regarding goals and assists (84 vs 77) has been better, though per minute stats favor slightly Ozil
- He disposesses and stops opposition players from scoring remarkably better than Ozil
- Though in the category of take on's and duels won Ozil comes off on top

And at that he is 3,5 years younger and brought for 3,5 times less.
I don't think there is much questions who pulled the longer straw.

Eriksen-sen-sen
To the left to the right
Eriksen-sen-sen
He’s our midfield Dynamite.

Back
Top Bottom