Chelsea (a) Lcup semi 2nd leg ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Gazzaniga

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aurier

• Alderweireld

• Vertonghen

• Sissoko

• Dier

• Eriksen

• Llorente

• Moura

• Sanchez

• Total voters
Selections and Structure

Gazzaniga came in as "Cup Goalie". Aurier and Davies were in, presumably, to make a more robust defensive back four. Dier and Sissoko came into midfield (more robustness in mind I guess). We started in a 41212 diamond with Dier at the base, Eriksen at the tip, with Lamela and Llorente up top.

The Game

In theory the structure wasn't a bad notion against this Chelsea, as long as we were more aggressive than the first leg, maybe even used Eriksen to stifle Jorginho, as well as torment him, the way we used Alli in the league game, pressed more cohesively and played further up the pitch. Unfortunately none of this came to pass. And, more annoyingly, it's not like we were defensively steadfast either.

Unsurprising perhaps, for players that had all been missing recently, Aurier, Dier and Sissoko were like three stewed prunes in moulinex hairdryer, incapable of either defending competently or playing football under the pressure of Chelsea's press, and with Hazard revelling in being set out in his favourite inverted ALM position, we were being constantly tormented down that side.

The first goal was really poor, schoolboy stuff. If Poch has set us up to leave two guys just standing on the edge of the box for a corner, it's really poor coaching, and even if he hasn't, Dier and Sissoko were both stood marking no one, surely Dier should spot this and send someone out there? Then when the shot comes in, Davies does make a valiant effort to block but then Dier flinches and Sissoko makes some cack footed motion and just succeeds in deflecting the ball past a hapless Gazzaniga, who'd had to wait for it to go through three players before he sees it. It was farcical.

We'd struggled to play enough football in the first leg, putting Dier and Sissoko into that midfield three was never going to remedy that, neither are comfortable receiving the ball under pressure or playing football through it. So we didn't much.

The second goal was as pathetic as the first. Dier gives away his umpteenth foul and decides it would be much better to stand around bitching about it, rather than stopping them playing it, Chelsea play on, ba bing ba bing, ba bang ba bang and the player he let the ball get played to while he was faux outraging scores.

The second half Poch drops Dier back and we switch to a 3421. And this did have an immediate improving effect, we stemmed some of their lateral threat, and the next 15 minutes was the only prolonged spell of the tie in which we had any kind of control (the only phase of this tie where we had more possession 54% during this phase), gradually though, we relinquished this control and it was killed for good when Poch decided to bring on Sanchez for Sissoko, who fell victim to a "friendly fire" wounding by the hapless Aurier, and push the woeful Dier back into midfield. Any momentum left was well and truly extinguished, although truth be told, momentum ad pretty much gone by then any way.

If we could have kept our foot on the throttle whilst we had that momentum we may well have got something, they were clearly rattled for the first time in the two legs, alas, it was not to be. As it was they were unlucky not to finish us off on normal time, last ditch defending and poor finishing saving us that ignominy.

Truth be told we were second best for the vast majority of the two legs. Of course we were really hamstrung by the loss of Kane, Alli and Son in this leg, but they were all part of the first leg in which we were thoroughly outplayed.

Personally I'm more disappointed by the performances in both games, than the result. You can lose games to good teams, that happens, but the limp showing in the first leg was really poor and we have played football for about 15 minutes out of 180.

Poch is a great coach, he continues to surprise and impress me, we've by and large been really good for the last couple of months, but this is another pair of big games where I find myself questioning his approach a little, especially that first leg.

Individual

Gazzaniga - I don't think he was terribly at fault for the first, he's unsighted by three players, the third of whom deflect it slightly.

Aurier - Apart from struggling with Hazard all night, which many will do to be fair, everything else was just piss poor, poor decisions on the ball, gave it away carelessly, positioning suspect, offered nothing offensively and generally failed to provide any kind of upgrade, even defensively, on what Trippier or even KWO would have.

Alderwerield - Had his work cut out tonight and put a real shift in. Very fortunate not to give a penalty away, but otherwise good game. Probably my MOTM

Vertonghen - Decent enough

Davies - Didn't have the struggle Aurier did with Hazard, but was still pretty meh and I was actually relieved when Rose came on, as it least we might show some ambition (even if Rose often fails to cash the cheques his chippy ambitious arse writes).

Rose - Great ball for the goal, did look a lot more proactive than Davies had.

Sissoko - Really poor game. Didn't do enough with or without the ball.

Dier - I'd forgotten how painful watching him trundle around midfield was.

Winks - Tried to make something happen, did play a nice pass out to Rose for the goal, was generally OK.

Eriksen - Bit disappointing to be honest, but not helped too much by the midfielders behind him and a very muddled set of tactics, hard for him to shine really.

Lamela - Another pretty erratic and largely disappointing game. I know the boy has some ability and is happy to run around like a gazelle on PCP, but I'm getting to the point where patience is wearing pretty thin with him. Lack of consistency in his performance level, even within 90 minutes is starting to grate.

Llorente - Did brilliantly for the goal. Didn't do much else brilliantly.

Moura - Whizzy legs, little brain. Offside twice when we had the ball in our half, and wasted a great chance, not even working the keeper.

Last edited:
I thought Rose was our best player by a country mile, The BBC don't agree.

MOTM.jpg

Chelsea v Tottenham in Carabao Cup - how the players rated

Think Rose was by far and away our best player. Toby and Vertonghen did well although the latter did get himself in some strange positions at times. Only other players who were worth mentioning to a lesser degree were Winks + Llorente (great goal and was coming into it before he was subbed).

Dier and Sissoko made some majestic tackles, but were by passed by pace and quick, controlled one touch football that not one of our players is capable of.

It could be Preston, and I’d be looking at our lot and wondering if they all have the wrong size football boots on while the oppo nip it around like in a training circle.

Counter after counter dies a miserable death while Lamela and Eriksen play with the ball like it’s a scolding hot bit of lava and eventually lose possession.
Eriksen constantly ghosting out of tackles while Pedro steams away from him towards our box.
Lamela has regressed the last few games, and is seeing nowhere near enough of the ball, and creates nothing.

Aurier was ok, then lost it. Offers less than Trippier both defensively and in attack and only seems comfortable with Sissoko on the pitch. I’ve noticed it before too, they have a good understanding.

Rose was better than Davies although Davies did make some really ambitious runs, as did Dier, but Winks or Eriksen decided that long cross field passes to a player behind them was better.

Winks was good though, top player imo

Gazzaniga....not better than Lloris and another case of, would we have gone through with our best keeper? I think so.

CBs were immense

Llorente. I do feel for him, great goal....but.....no. It’s over buddy, hope he goes to Spain to see out his career and get a heroes send off. Yiddo
Although he was looking like a player when subbed. Typical.

Poch.....not much he can do really except lower his high demands and take a punt on a striker...anyone....and throw said striker in at the deep end and see if he can swim.
Even Sterling.
Just. Do. Something. Please

Sucking bitter lemons
Technical quality , pace overwhelmed a ponderous physical static Spurs. The team was a throwback to early season when we grinded out
results against mid table teams but lacking in any finesse .
Poch was up against it with any team he put out but he didn't help himself with this selection .

Gazza, comedy of errors for first goal , could have done better , offered nothing in the penalty shot out 3.
Aurier , really piss poor , not good enough , a mid table player unfortunately we will be stuck with him for years . 3
Rose 6.5 , our best player as he offered some verve .
Both C.B. played well considering the mess around them 6.
Dier 2 , midfield grinds to a halt , future should be in a back 3.
Sissoko 3 , offered nothing .
Winks , busy but not influential 5.
Eriksen 4 , moments of quality but Hazard is in another class .
Lamela, 3 , a expensive punt that has been a waste of money .
Liorente 3, great for a goal but like a double decker bus up front , really past it.

Over 2 legs they were far better , our midfield is very weak and at this level was shown it's limitations . Without any real investment in the first 11 we will never get over the last hurdle .

Sucking bitter lemons
Technical quality , pace overwhelmed a ponderous physical static Spurs. The team was a throwback to early season when we grinded out
results against mid table teams but lacking in any finesse .
Poch was up against it with any team he put out but he didn't help himself with this selection .

Gazza, comedy of errors for first goal , could have done better , offered nothing in the penalty shot out 3.
Aurier , really piss poor , not good enough , a mid table player unfortunately we will be stuck with him for years . 3
Rose 6.5 , our best player as he offered some verve .
Both C.B. played well considering the mess around them 6.
Dier 2 , midfield grinds to a halt , future should be in a back 3.
Sissoko 3 , offered nothing .
Winks , busy but not influential 5.
Eriksen 4 , moments of quality but Hazard is in another class .
Lamela, 3 , a expensive punt that has been a waste of money .
Liorente 3, great for a goal but like a double decker bus up front , really past it.

Over 2 legs they were far better , our midfield is very weak and at this level was shown it's limitations . Without any real investment in the first 11 we will never get over the last hurdle .

Are you marks out of 10 or 7?

Back
Top Bottom