Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So you want Brighton to beat Millwall
Personally I think that's better for us given the circumstances.

If Man City win their FA Cup tie and Brighton lose their FA Cup match we'll be playing Brighton the weekend the fixture is currently scheduled for. If Brighton win we'll play Crystal Palace 3-4 days earlier which I think gives us a week to prepare for City at home.. We'd also have experienced our first night game at the new place so the novelty and feel of it all won't be as surreal. I just think Brighton winning gives us more positives for the game Vs City than negatives so I'd prefer that yeah

I am usually super optimistic but I have a horrible feeling about this

We are the underdogs. Currently only Porto and Ajax are longer shots than us so we can't have expectations that surpass that. If people start saying we haven't got enough mentality to get over the line etc because we lose a two legged tie against a team that's spent X10 more than us over the last decade they're fooling themselves.

We need to focus on the league, that's most important than the Champions League now. We get a free hit at it and should be going in to the tie as fans with no expectations. If we can rattle them and get a good result first leg it'll be a bonus.

A positive result against them in the league is more inpoimpor than a positive result against them in these two games. Got to keep that Champions League consistency going as the years go by

The maths are very simple. Play the same level as against Dortmund then we have a chance to go through. Play the same as against southampton or burnley then we have no chance.

That probably didn't need saying and was fairly obvious. Also where is maths? We can't even beat Burnley and Southampton playing like we did....against Burnley and Southampton:pocheyes:

With all due respect, pining for the exceedingly average and, granted, highly physical Deeney and Rondon, for a CL tie, is bizarre. I'd much rather Llorente than those two, and we also have the sublime Son as backup striker.

Llorente at 30 absolutely. Was still superb. Now. Hmmmm...

I said this game because what City's central defenders do not like is physicality and pace.

It's not about names but styles

That's why Sterling being absent in either game would be such a boost to us. This season their best player.

holy shit

I don't believe UEFA, FIFA or whoever has the final say would tamper with the technology on such huge, easy to expose scales.

Refs getting bribed or footballers taking one on the chin for some dough I get, officials taking backhanders from countries to host a big tournament likewise but editing goal lines and the size of the ball so it fits within their desired outcome should by the very slim chance the ball possibly creep over the line or be borderline and they can use this to their advantage I honestly don't think so or buy it.

What's more likely is the person who has tweeted that has done a little editing of his own to make his tweet have substance and get hits. The effort it would take to short notice alter so many things on the basis that the ball was exactly that amount over the line in that particular moment or piece of play I don't buy.

Of all the things dodgy in football I don't think goaline technology is one of them

I don't believe UEFA, FIFA or whoever has the final say would tamper with the technology on such huge, easy to expose scales.

Refs getting bribed or footballers taking one on the chin for some dough I get, officials taking backhanders from countries to host a big tournament likewise but editing goal lines and the size of the ball so it fits within their desired outcome should by the very slim chance the ball possibly creep over the line or be borderline and they can use this to their advantage I honestly don't think so or buy it.

What's more likely is the person who has tweeted that has done a little editing of his own to make his tweet have substance and get hits. The effort it would take to short notice alter so many things on the basis that the ball was exactly that amount over the line in that particular moment or piece of play I don't buy.

Of all the things dodgy in football I don't think goaline technology is one of them

Theres zero editing in terms of the goal line.

Here are screens:

D1fSX2cXQAAuXT1

D1fSX2fWoAAY-bO

D1fSX2iXgAAtubK

Odd because the goal line HAS to be same thickness as the posts, it's in the rule book. So why they've tampered with the goal line and it's thickness is beyond me.

Theres zero editing in terms of the goal line.

Here are screens:

D1fSX2cXQAAuXT1

D1fSX2fWoAAY-bO

D1fSX2iXgAAtubK

Odd because the goal line HAS to be same thickness as the posts, it's in the rule book. So why they've tampered with the goal line and it's thickness is beyond me.

Are these real shots from the night or a little online editing though? If UEFA & FIFA wanted to leverage bias surely the non-introduction of VAR would have been easier for them to do so.

Get a dodgy ref, get him to give the 50/50s the way you want, no worries etc.

Ajax scored a goal when VAR favoured them when it looked like a throw in a week or so earlier. Do people honestly believe that if there is corruption going on that a. Real Madrid wouldn't be involved and b. Ajax would be having a swindle? Personally I think it's all about using certain evidence to back an agenda without looking at the whole picture. Some information or evidence is completely ignored because it doesn't suit someone's agenda when looking for a theory.

Foul play in football perhaps, but with goalline technology it doesn't add up to me

Man City is a difficult draw but don't forget we beat Real Madrid last season - a team who have won this competition 3 times in a row and 4 times in the last 5 years. We've also drawn away to Real, Juve (who have got to 2 finals recently) and Barca (who have won it a few years ago). Man City are no way near that level. So although Man City are favourites over us it will still be tight over those 2 legs.

Are these real shots from the night or a little online editing though? If UEFA & FIFA wanted to leverage bias surely the non-introduction of VAR would have been easier for them to do so.

Get a dodgy ref, get him to give the 50/50s the way you want, no worries etc.

Ajax scored a goal when VAR favoured them when it looked like a throw in a week or so earlier. Do people honestly believe that if there is corruption going on that a. Real Madrid wouldn't be involved and b. Ajax would be having a swindle? Personally I think it's all about using certain evidence to back an agenda without looking at the whole picture. Some information or evidence is completely ignored because it doesn't suit someone's agenda when looking for a theory.

Foul play in football perhaps, but with goalline technology it doesn't add up to me

Exactly the same shots mate.

Here's a vid from the official CL twitter page.

Which shows the dodgy line.

Camera angles are incredible.

Not the draw I wanted but at least we have avoided Barca and Juventus. Whenever teams meet in cup matches near League matches, frequently the results are split. I doubt we will lose all 3 matches. As I was expecting to lose the league game, we will get something here as long as we do not suffer any major injuries before hand and our form improves. Hopefully Barca will remove MU and the prospect of 4th not getting CL next year.

I agree, it will be very complicated for MCity too. Last year in CL they were slaughtered by Liverpool. Two years ago killed by the Monaco. Only 3 years ago they were defeated by Real Madrid: they are difficult but without a big tradition in CL.

The Totthenam has the qualities to play it.

Exactly the same shots mate.

Here's a vid from the official CL twitter page.

Which shows the dodgy line.

Camera angles are incredible.

The lines thickness definitely changes in their official tweet which is pretty shambolic really. A journalist worth his or her's bread should be following up on this, even though I don't think it's made a difference the goal. Can't be having 1980s Amstrad lines for such high tech equipment. Ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom