Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

NOT if they're in the FA CUP Semi Final they won't be.

FA Cup semi final saturday, city will be 17.15, we'll be 12.30

So we basically want City to win in the FA Cup this weekend and then Brighton winning would give us a Saturday early doors kick off potentially. Either way we should be getting as much time if not more to revolver for the City game in the Champs League then.

Cheers Gaz

Read this some moment ago... Made me realise how proud we should all be for supporting this magnificent club:

So Spurs will play City three times in just eleven days.

The football club that is labelled (or laughed at) for wanting to do things the "right way" (rightly or wrongly), has been rebuilt from the bottom to the top, is about to move into one of the world's best stadiums that actually has to be paid for and with a team now competing at the highest level that craves success.........

vs

The football club that won fuck all for 35 years, even dropping down to the third tier during that time, got lucky with one of the richest men on the planet and has managed to circumvent FFP rules via sponsorships, is about two get a two window transfer ban, plays in a stadium that was funded by the taxpayer and has, quite literally, bought every trophy it has won since.........

Being the obvious underdogs means that our Champions League expectations are now even lower, which might actually be a good thing, as we've all seen what getting giddy does. It makes people like me look silly and gets the team labelled as "bottle jobs!"

Play with no fear and you just never know what might happen........

COYS!
While it's nice to have the moral high ground, something to cling on but unfortunately there isn't a trophy for "doing it the right way"
The media , other fans , the world don't give a fuck . We are all praying for a miracle but our past history in crunch games leaves us with only a small chance of beating the oil men mercenaries .

The maths are very simple. Play the same level as against Dortmund then we have a chance to go through. Play the same as against southampton or burnley then we have no chance.

It is funny, who would have thought we would ever be moaning about who we got in the CL quarters haha! mental isn't it, we have come a long way

People still are a bit funny about us, I did the analysis, our average league position pre Poch since 1950 is 8th, we aren't the colossus some think we should be, our peers Villa and Everton are nowhere near where we are
Based on this thing:
The Football League: Analysis of historical league positions
The standard deviation was quite low as well, meaning we were often at the top end of the table.
Between 1960 - 1990 though, (removing the dominant patterns of the PL era) the league was a lot less predictable and less consistent - maybe the same bunch of 10 teams were interchanging at the top every season and apart from Liverpool, a league champion could finish 8th the next season. I mean those historic league results don't say much about the modern era.
We're not a colossus, always remaining in the tier below which still means top quarter of the table, long cup runs and perhaps return to a tendency to snag a trophy or two per decade.

City have lost each of their four games against English opponents in European competition - twice against Chelsea in 1971 and twice against Liverpool in last season's Champions League quarter-finals.

At least their coach will be safe this time

I'm such a moron.

I've gone from despair to imagining a Harry and Dele brace, alongside a cheeky Sissokko 35 yard screamer.

Need to contain Sane. That little bugger is a very good footballer.

Not the draw I wanted but at least we have avoided Barca and Juventus. Whenever teams meet in cup matches near League matches, frequently the results are split. I doubt we will lose all 3 matches. As I was expecting to lose the league game, we will get something here as long as we do not suffer any major injuries before hand and our form improves. Hopefully Barca will remove MU and the prospect of 4th not getting CL next year.

Odd that the top four teams all avoided each other.

:deledoubt::dembelewtf::pochserious2:
As it would have been if they had been drawn against each other.

We can beat City but only if we are devoid of the injuries that have beset our season.

It really is not a great draw for City. I just wish for this we had a Deeney or a Rondon in reserve.

Just looking at the City guys after the draw they were not happy:
We will take it up to them and they are not unbeatable, on our day we kick any arse!

They lost a similar stage last year against another English club and City were even better last year. I agree there is nothing to say we won't knock them out, we have just as good a chance as they do and under Poch we've played well against them, even the games we've lost or drawn. They wanted a European team who would fear them as the big rich club, whereas we are used to playing them. We may lose. But we may not.

I would have preferred a European club, and an easier tie, but it is what it is. No reason for us to lay down and get our belly tickled just cause City are the favorites.

If you want to see what Mancity have become as a club then check out the “fans” comments on this tie on their official Facebook. Not one single proper Mancity supporter commenting. Just a bunch of Asian/African Johnny come lately plastic planks completely dismissing Spurs and basically talking about Juventus in the next round. Now, in my opinion we don’t have a chance, but that’s just my pessimistic Spurs attitude, but to see how plastic this club has become with all their fair weather supporters just makes me want to beat them even more now.

As it would have been if they had been drawn against each other.

We can beat City but only if we are devoid of the injuries that have beset our season.

It really is not a great draw for City. I just wish for this we had a Deeney or a Rondon in reserve.
With all due respect, pining for the exceedingly average and, granted, highly physical Deeney and Rondon, for a CL tie, is bizarre. I'd much rather Llorente than those two, and we also have the sublime Son as backup striker.

So we basically want City to win in the FA Cup this weekend and then Brighton winning would give us a Saturday early doors kick off potentially. Either way we should be getting as much time if not more to revolver for the City game in the Champs League then.

Cheers Gaz
No Brighton winning would give us the Saturday off we'd play palace on the 3rd instead:pochfacepalm::pochfacepalm:

No Brighton winning would give us the Saturday off we'd play palace on the 3rd instead:pochfacepalm::pochfacepalm:

Personally I'd prefer if Brighton lost and Palace was our opening game. The point I was highlighting was that we want City to win in the FA Cup this weekend so they play in the FA Cup that weekend which would free up the Saturday 12:30 slot for us Vs Brighton regardless of their outcome with Millwall this weekend.

Personally, I'd prefer Palace as the first game, as long as it's on Sky as a week to focus on City will be far better and let's be honest we need to do something quality in the home leg to have as much chance as possible in the away one

Personally I'd prefer if Brighton lost and Palace was our opening game. The point I was highlighting was that we want City to win in the FA Cup this weekend so they play in the FA Cup that weekend which would free up the Saturday 12:30 slot for us Vs Brighton regardless of their outcome with Millwall this weekend.

Personally, I'd prefer Palace as the first game, as long as it's on Sky as a week to focus on City will be far better and let's be honest we need to do something quality in the home leg to have as much chance as possible in the away one
So you want Brighton to beat Millwall

Back
Top Bottom