Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Davinson Sanchez, Serge Aurier and potentially Juan Foyth fees paid off if we get a little luck with our QF draw should we get the job done. In contrast winning the FA Cup gets us £6m. No wonder the club sees more value in the Champions League.

I wonder how much with TV money, gate receipts, merchandise, commercial deals etc the whole thing gets us. Bonkers how much money is floating around in the Champions League. 3rd & 4th best teams in Spain, Germany, France etc it must take up so much of their revenue streams. They're so fortunate their leagues aren't as competitive as ours
the dumbest part is that the loser in the final gets more money than the winner.

The amount of revisionism coming out of the media now is hysterical. ALL of them said we didn't have the squad depth, MOST of them didn't even have us in the top four this season, MOST of them didn't say we would get out of the knockout stages of CL. ALL of them say wouldn't cope without Kane (AGAIN!!). NONE of them has talked about Son, Vertonghen, Winks (I've put Winks in here because pre-BVB game was dominated by the talk of Sancho, interviews, special opinion pieces in the papers, EVERY media outlet went with him, meanwhile Winks has been playing 90mins all season, growing in stature and bossing quality oppo midfield's, not a fucking peep!!

The amount of revisionism coming out of the media now is hysterical. ALL of them said we didn't have the squad depth, MOST of them didn't even have us in the top four this season, MOST of them didn't say we would get out of the knockout stages of CL. ALL of them say wouldn't cope without Kane (AGAIN!!). NONE of them has talked about Son, Vertonghen, Winks (I've put Winks in here because pre-BVB game was dominated by the talk of Sanch, interviews, special opinion pieces in the papers, EVERY media outlet went with him, meanwhile Winks has been playing 90mins all season, growing in stature and bossing quality oppo midfield's, not a fucking peep!!

It's at the stage now where it's embarrassing.

I've banged on for the past month and a half (as well as every other team Kane has been out) that we cope perfectly fine without him. 76% win percentage in the league when Kane hasn't started a game since 2014 when he broke into the team, yet all the so called professionals will tell you that we can't cope without him.

The problem has never been our depth (though pundits as well as Spurs fan will moan about it) - it's the USE of our depth. Over the last two seasons Poch has almost rinsed every use out of the key players we have but this season he's been forced into using his squad and it's almost as if he's realised that they're pretty good players when they have minutes under their belt, get runs in the team and match sharpness is at the standards needed.

In the summer people had written off Sissoko and Llorente and people were wondering what Lamela could bring. Throughout the season all I've heard are people bashing Winks for not being good enough for where we need to be. Rose should be sold after what he said last season, he's lost it anyway. But every single one of them has played their part this season and they are all arguably squad players who, in Winks and Sissokos case, have become almost key parts of this team.

Every single one of our "weak squad" players have started more games this season then last season or are on course to do so. Sissoko has started 1 less game this season than in the whole of last season. Winks has started 6 more games so far this season. Llorente has started 3 less games but has started in higher level games and playing a lot more minutes against higher level opposition (most starts last season were Rochdale, Newport etc). Danny Rose started 15 games the entirety of last season, already on 15 starts so far this season. Lamela is on 12 starts (and had a hand in 10 goals) this season. He started just 12 games in the entirety of last season.

Pundits will do everything they can for some reason to put down this team and the depth we have. Yet they won't mention Liverpools depth beyond Mane, Salah and Firmino. The fact that beyond TAA at right back, they have to play a central midfielder there etc.

It's at the stage now where it's embarrassing.

I've banged on for the past month and a half (as well as every other team Kane has been out) that we cope perfectly fine without him. 76% win percentage in the league when Kane hasn't started a game since 2014 when he broke into the team, yet all the so called professionals will tell you that we can't cope without him.

The problem has never been our depth (though pundits as well as Spurs fan will moan about it) - it's the USE of our depth. Over the last two seasons Poch has almost rinsed every use out of the key players we have but this season he's been forced into using his squad and it's almost as if he's realised that they're pretty good players when they have minutes under their belt, get runs in the team and match sharpness is at the standards needed.

In the summer people had written off Sissoko and Llorente and people were wondering what Lamela could bring. Throughout the season all I've heard are people bashing Winks for not being good enough for where we need to be. Rose should be sold after what he said last season, he's lost it anyway. But every single one of them has played their part this season and they are all arguably squad players who, in Winks and Sissokos case, have become almost key parts of this team.

Every single one of our "weak squad" players have started more games this season then last season or are on course to do so. Sissoko has started 1 less game this season than in the whole of last season. Winks has started 6 more games so far this season. Llorente has started 3 less games but has started in higher level games and playing a lot more minutes against higher level opposition (most starts last season were Rochdale, Newport etc). Danny Rose started 15 games the entirety of last season, already on 15 starts so far this season. Lamela is on 12 starts (and had a hand in 10 goals) this season. He started just 12 games in the entirety of last season.

Pundits will do everything they can for some reason to put down this team and the depth we have. Yet they won't mention Liverpools depth beyond Mane, Salah and Firmino. The fact that beyond TAA at right back, they have to play a central midfielder there etc.

They know fuck all about us short of " they sell all their best players don't they, they're only a one man team anyway what with all the goals Kane gets and they can't spend a penny because of the stadium, so their squad must be shite"...

I've given up on all podcasts since the Woolwich defeat and haven't missed them...but I thought I'd dip in after the Dortmund game. Football Weekly gave us about 8 minutes after spending about 15 talking about United, 2 of the minutes on us was Barry Glendenning saying how all our players were going to be sold off and Pochettino was off at season's end...but time would tell...time would tell on his bullshit would be more accurate. Went on The Totally Football show and we actually had the first 14 minutes, half of which was Raphael Honigstein listing a load of excuses for Dortmund, including this classic "they had a centre back playing at left back"...
:vertna:

That's a big ask really but right now we're in the fight and all things considered that's a mighty achievement.

Top four finish would be enough to claim this season as a success.
Considering how shit Chavs, Arse and Manu are (one with a sacked manager, one possibly on his way out, arse might keep emery longer), Im not sure top 4 is an achivement considering we have bee finishing in the top 3 the last 3 years anyway.

They know fuck all about us short of " they sell all their best players don't they, they're only a one man team anyway what with all the goals Kane gets and they can't spend a penny because of the stadium, so their squad must be shite"...

I've given up on all podcasts since the Woolwich defeat and haven't missed them...but I thought I'd dip in after the Dortmund game. Football Weekly gave us about 8 minutes after spending about 15 talking about United, 2 of the minutes on us was Barry Glendenning saying how all our players were going to be sold off and Pochettino was off at season's end...but time would tell...time would tell on his bullshit would be more accurate. Went on The Totally Football show and we actually had the first 14 minutes, half of which was Raphael Honigstein listing a load of excuses for Dortmund, including this classic "they had a centre back playing at left back"...
:vertna:
I listen in expectation but soon get frustrated, I posted in Media Bias thread some weeks ago when mentioned about us being in the title race the members of the panel literally laughed it was insulting. Two weeks ago Neville briefly opined that we couldn’t challenge because of our lack of squad depth. If any team this season displayed depth was us City lost Fernandinho for 3 games and were in a mini crisis. Liverpool squad looks so thin it’s impossible that I’m the only one who notices. Fuck em anyway

There's a TIFO video from like 2 years ago that goes over the CL money distribution. I don't think it has shifted that much since then

The money has gone up quite a bit from this season. We got 55m last season for reaching last 16. Should get 70 whether we get past Dortmund or not. If we do will look towards 80m.

All we have to do is either win the League or the CL and all these other media trolls will shut up.

Doubt it.

Because then they'll mention how our players have won a trophy at Spurs and now they can move on in their careers.

How Pochs goal was to win us a trophy and now he's accomplished that he can move to Madrid.

Back
Top Bottom