Champions League 2018-19

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From my understanding, when they say "clear and obvious", they don't mean to a human official. They mean that if e.g. there's a foul then for the VAR to give it, it has to be very obvious that it's a foul rather than something up to interpretation. With offside, that doesn't really apply since it's objective - you're either on or off, however close it is. At the end of the day it's got to implement the rules, not decide whether they're good or not, and I think it got it right yesterday. If we don't like that then the rules have to be changed to allow a margin of error or some such, not expect the refs or VAR to adjudicate them however they like which'd be disastrous anyway.
There's the letter of the law and the intent and spirit of the law.

The NFL went through all this with what is a catch and what isn't a catch the last few seasons. It basically broke the league in a lot of ways. This season they reverted to a more natural definition of a catch and it was better for fans, players and officials. Everyone "knows" what a catch is in the NFL.

We do not want to live in a world where goals are being called off because of a players nose being a centimeter offside. That's not the intent or purpose of the offside rule. If a video replay official can't tell in real time if a player is offside than it is not clear and obvious to me. It will absolutely ruin the game.

If a video replay official can't tell in real time if a player is offside than it is not clear and obvious to me. It will absolutely ruin the game.
Goal line technology makes sure a goal has actually been scored which a referee or even a video ref wouldnt been able to call in real time. But no one is particularly upset when the goal line tech makes marginal decisions. The correct decision on whether the ball crossed the line makes the sport better rather than some random human's guesswork.

There's the letter of the law and the intent and spirit of the law.

The NFL went through all this with what is a catch and what isn't a catch the last few seasons. It basically broke the league in a lot of ways. This season they reverted to a more natural definition of a catch and it was better for fans, players and officials. Everyone "knows" what a catch is in the NFL.

We do not want to live in a world where goals are being called off because of a players nose being a centimeter offside. That's not the intent or purpose of the offside rule. If a video replay official can't tell in real time if a player is offside than it is not clear and obvious to me. It will absolutely ruin the game.
You could make it so that the VAR has to simply watch it in real time and make the decision based on that. But then it risks a situation where they still give an offside that was actually on. At least the way it is now you're pretty unlikely to see a decision like that which is objectively wrong and screws the attacking team over. I do agree it'll be detrimental to the game if it's overused but I'm happy to give it time to see how it plays out.

That VAR call was moronic. A centimeter offside is not clear and obvious. He didn't gain an advantage and reversing that goal goes against the spirit and the point of the offside rule.

If this is the future of offside decisions in VAR than we are in for a hellscape.

He was offside though and even if he wasn't he clearly obstructed the keeper.

Goal line technology makes sure a goal has actually been scored which a referee or even a video ref wouldnt been able to call in real time. But no one is particularly upset when the goal line tech makes marginal decisions. The correct decision on whether the ball crossed the line makes the sport better rather than some random human's guesswork.
Ball over the line yes/no is instantaneous with current GLT. The ref doesn't wait for the booth to look, then trot over to look himself if its close, then think about it for a bit, then make a call.

If we can tell if someone is offside as fast as goal line technology I'd be on board. But right now its hot garbage and ruins the flow of the game.

You could make it so that the VAR has to simply watch it in real time and make the decision based on that. But then it risks a situation where they still give an offside that was actually on. At least the way it is now you're pretty unlikely to see a decision like that which is objectively wrong and screws the attacking team over. I do agree it'll be detrimental to the game if it's overused but I'm happy to give it time to see how it plays out.
It's inevitable, I'm not old man yelling at clouds here, but the way it was used in the Madrid game hurt my soul.

And OF FUCKING COURSE it benefited Madrid.

They should work similar to cricket. In cricket if the umpire thinks it is out and it the tech says it would just tip the stumps then it is out but if the umpire thinks it is not out then it needs to be hitting the stumps full on. Therefore if linesman/ref think it was offside and tv showed however close that it was, then offside but if officials do not call offside then it needs to be clearly offside and not just a nose etc. That shows backing on field officials and only change if clearly an error.

They should work similar to cricket.

It should, but I mean this sincerley, I'm not sure a significant number of football fans would understand the principle.

It took a good couple of years for people to realise that DRS should only be used to correct a howler, rather than as an instrument to locate the perfect decision. I believe rugby is also similar in that the referee indicates his decision and then asks if there is any compelling reason to reverse that judgement.

Just had a butchers:

How clubs' 2018/19 UEFA Champions League revenue will be shared

Qualification for the quarter-finals: €10.5m per club

Not to give it the kiss of death or anything but that game the other night puts us one foot into the next round, giving us prize money that pays off Juan Foyths/ Fernando Llorentes fee whatever way you look at it. Mega money to be had
I think you make like 65 million just from making it through the group stage.

That's a little over two Sissokos!

Last edited:
Just had a butchers:

How clubs' 2018/19 UEFA Champions League revenue will be shared

Qualification for the quarter-finals: €10.5m per club

Not to give it the kiss of death or anything but that game the other night puts us one foot into the next round, giving us prize money that pays off Juan Foyths/ Fernando Llorentes fee whatever way you look at it. Mega money to be had

By my calculation that means we get ~66M Euros this season, so far IF we finish the job and make it to the next round. PLUS a cut of the Pool money which isn't clear to me on how it is distributed. Then tickets, extra sponsorship, merchandise, etc.

By my calculation that means we get ~66M Euros this season, so far IF we finish the job and make it to the next round. PLUS a cut of the Pool money which isn't clear to me on how it is distributed.

Davinson Sanchez, Serge Aurier and potentially Juan Foyth fees paid off if we get a little luck with our QF draw should we get the job done. In contrast winning the FA Cup gets us £6m. No wonder the club sees more value in the Champions League.

I wonder how much with TV money, gate receipts, merchandise, commercial deals etc the whole thing gets us. Bonkers how much money is floating around in the Champions League. 3rd & 4th best teams in Spain, Germany, France etc it must take up so much of their revenue streams. They're so fortunate their leagues aren't as competitive as ours

Back
Top Bottom