Centre Back Crisis !

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

So we lost yet another centre back in Ledley King against Newcastle to add to the injury list. Hoping its not a serious injury considering he is by far our best defender but now we have to use Sebastien Bassong at centre back. Personally I don't rate him at all and makes to many mistakes. I really have no idea when Gallas and Dawson are back, so for now we've got to watch and hope Bassong is that world class defender Redknapp said he was when we signed him.

I don't rate Bassong either. Gallas is suppoedly training again, and Dawson is supposedly 3-4 weeks away.

We also have the issue whereby we're playing Thursday, and then again on Sunday. For Sunday, it looks like our only two fit centre backs are Bassong and Kaboul. Are we going to risk them on Thursday? Not wise IMO.

And if not, who comes in? Potentially Livermore could play at CB, and possibly Kevin Stewart, an 18 year old who has played for the Spurs XI a few times but has no league experience. However, Stewart is likely due to play on Wednesday in the NextGen Series...

i am not a massive bassong lover, however, that said, i thought he played alright at the weekend. kaboul was very good, i'm hoping that if at least one of them stays on their game we should be ok.

i see a lot of improvement in kaboul in terms of maturity, i know he plays better with either king or gallas, but then, who wouldn't? they are both class.

just no to corluka. although i am not a hater, his lack of mobility scares me. i could moon walk faster than he can run.

i dont think we have a choice with charlie, he must play CB on thursday as we cant risk loosing another cb playing one in both games.

is lack of mobility is shocking, but he did well that season we finished 4th, and with walker beside him, and if is told to defend a bit more and track any runners takes some pressure off of charlie.

guessing lennon will start on thursday, or at least play some, so walkers runs forward will be less needed.

We need to strengthen at CB, we have been saying this for ages, Gallas and King are class but we all know they will be injured ALOT.

Cahill is a must as far as I can see.

Walker has played at CB, we'll be fine. With a run of games Bassong will do a job. You can't legislate for Dawson's injury, shit happens over the course of a season. There's more of a crisis on the right of midfield than there is at CB.

It will be fine,

but what worries me and might be worth a discussion at some point is the back of the team, next season or the season after I can us losing Gallas, King, friedel, gomes, cudicini,

this leaves us with no keeper, 2 cb's who arguably cant play together. and Caulker who looks good,

but its an area we really need to strengthen or we will suddenly be very understaffed there, and i dont really like wholesale change, need to slowly implement players

only one way to sort this.

play a 2-5-3 formation. that way vdv can play in his hole, bassong doesn't need to play, harry can play his 15 midfielders as he likes to.

job done.

CB and GK are positions we'll definitely need to strengthen next summer, if we got Cahill and got rid of Bassong that'd be a start. That said, I like Bassong and I think he can still do a job for us. I can see Townsend getting a run-out a lot sooner than I first thought as our lack of width is an issue (a small one as we're still unbeaten in 5).

We were right not to pay over the odds for Cahill in the summer. On another forum a poster made the ridiculous comment, "we've now missed out on top 4 because we failed to sign Gary Cahill. Mark my words!" I hightailed it out of there and pointed my browser back to the TFC site pronto. Signing Cahill would certainly help us sort out the CB situation for a time, but I believe that we can find a player to do the job who is willing to fight for a place in the team for maybe 2/3 the price.

I agree with Thelonius that Lennon needs legitimate competition on the right. In the meantime we have Giovani, Townsend and even Falque to provide cover. Modric and Kranjcar can both play there and we've seen Harry put Rafa on the right (ugh). Gio has the ability to be that guy but I know he won't ever provide a long term solution for us.

On a side note, did anyone else think Bale was very average at Newcastle? He wasn't his normal dynamic self -- a bit one-dimensional I felt. Maybe Pienaar can give him an occasional rest in the league when he returns, although I'm still not sure what Pienaar does.

If anything I'm more worried about losing the confidence that Ledley brings to the team when he plays. We all feel it, even with the dodgy knee. When you hear the team and Ledley is playing you always feel safer about the game. Hopefully Parker can step up and give Spurs the leadership we need on the field.

We also need Gallas back to provide that experience. I love Dawson and his big silly grin, but undeniably he plays better alongside an experienced CB.

I'd like Bassong to come good, I though he was great in the Champions League qualifying year. But again, needs experience next to him, same as Kaboul.

'nuff said.

eggsoakley said:
We have the option of Sandro dropping in there if needed. Thudd did well when relied upon at CB.

If Sandro is fit it might be interesting to see what he can do at CB on Thursday. I don't want to underestimate Blackburn, but if all else fails it may be an option for the next game.

Back
Top Bottom