Central Defenders

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think we're all in agreement that we could do with strengthening the central defence area and seeing as we tried to get Cahill in the summer it looks like the club feel the same.

I'm guessing we'll go back in for Cahill in January and will probably pay over the odds for someone with 6 months left on his contract but my question is should we sign him?

Personally I think he's a decent player but nothing more than that. If I was Redknapp I'd be worried that Wenger is also interested, he's hardly got a good track record in spotting quality defenders. He reminds me a lot of Dawson and as such would give 100% and have plenty of good games but has limitations that will never make him a top draw footballer.

That being said, is there anyone else out there we should be looking at or am I totally wrong about Cahill?

I don't get why we would look to sign a new defender unless Bassong is on his way out.

King, Gallas, Dawson, Kaboul, Bassong are the main 5. Then you have Corluka who can fill in there if needed and probably Walker if we're getting desperate.

Ok, Bassong leaves. King and Gallas are a bit fragile and Dawson has an injury currently. I don't rate Cahill that much really, is he a significant improvement on Bassong? And he would probably be on a decent wage and expect to start every game...

I'd be more interested in cover for BAE unless Rose is earmarked for this role..

Personally I think if we can get a truly world class defender who can play with ball at feet ie. Vermalen (yes, I think he is world class) we should get them.

Cahil isnt that man imo.

The again, everyone is after that kind of player.

I think Cahill fell through due to wage demands or something. Didn't we lodge a decent bid for him that had basically been accepted in principle by Bolton? If we didn't, what were we doing trying to flog Bassong to QPR?

I'm not sure he is the right man but I do think we need to sort it out. Ledley is on borrowed time. We can't take it for granted he'll be OK. Daws is overrated, and only at his best when he's next to Ledley. Kaboul is probably on the same level with Daws overall, different strengths maybe but I wouldn't want to rely on him next to Bassong, for example. It's no surprise Kaboul's best form is with Ledley.

Gallas? Can't rely on him obviously.

Sadly Bassong's days at the club are numbered. I say sadly because as I've said on another thread he has a lot of potential but needs to be playing regularly. When he's not and gets dropped into the team he makes constant mistakes and personally I don't think his heart is in it any more since Redknapp made it clear he wasn't needed.

We definitely need to strengthen in this area though and to comment on the LB situation I think Rose is without doubt earmarked for that role and considering Ekotto's good injury record and Bale in emergencies (and only in emergencies) can fill in at LB I don't see this being a major issue.

As mentioned above. I think we need a ball player type defender now. Kaboul is pretty powerful at set pieces as is Daws

I will never forget that 4-4 with Villa when Kaboul smashed that ball harder than someone smashing Ricky's mum.

Thelonious Filth said:
Kaboul up front is the answer to any problem in life.

this I like a lot

YounesKaboul_570537.jpg

Dru said:

What in the fuck is going on here? LOL

& Samba over Cahill. I felt like getting a CB was optional in the window but then we picked up all these knocks. Dawson is shit at staying healthy so a more solid replacement for Bassong would be good. He's not a bad player but sometimes he loses focus and makes costly mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom