Central defenders

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Now I know Jan is a few months off but given the Cahill saga on the last day of the transfer window it’s my guessing that we’re going to go back in for him at a cut down price come Jan considering Bolton won’t want to lose him on a free as he will only have 6 months on his contract.

Now how much do you guys really rate him? And do you not think we’d be better off with someone like Samba, who let’s be honest is a monster of a man who is brutal in the air and offers a real attacking presence from set pieces and the like?

Cahill's been overrated due to hitting a purple patch last year, but has the benefit of being out of contract at the end of the season. With Bolton struggling this year, he will almost certainly be sold in January so that they don't lose him for nothing.

Samba is a reliable "stopper" style defender (more reliable than Cahill IMO), but not quite so good on the ball.

For me, Caulker has the potential to be better than both in the long-term, and I'd love to see us put our faith in him by not making any defensive signings - Dawson and Gallas are both due back soon, and with Kaboul in good form and Ledley managing to play more than expected, we should have enough cover for the rest of the season IMO.

Granted that King and Gallas probably only just make up for about 1 injury prone centre back between them (fucking good one) are they both out of contract ay the end of this year? If Cahill is available on the cheap, which he won't be as I think come 30th January the way David Luiz and Per Mertesaker and Kilo's Toure going to PSG, and Ferdinand and Johnny Evans being consistently shit I can see a lot of big bidders going in for him and I believe we have far too much quality cover, to splash out 15million on a centre back plus English player transfer syndrome (see Mandy Carrol) Kaboul has been great post the Manc games, Bassong is, um handy for Europa league and I still like Charlie at cb, classy player. Great shout from Windy with Caulker, calm in possession athletic, like Rio Ferdinand 3years ago without all the unpleasantness.

Caulker certainly seems to have the potential but when we are playing Bayern away in the CL next year experience counts for a lot.

I am crious as to what 'a typical harry siging is these days'. Well aware of course of the media perception, but unsure how much is a myth.

But given that since harry has arrived we have seen that tagged to 'favourites' defoe, crouch, nico, and possibly Kaboul, none of whom 'worry me' as transfers in their own right.

Add Parker as another who, so far, has proven many doubters like me wrong. Typcal Harry, possibly? do I worry about him in the squad? not at all.

And the two Kyle's from sheffield, are they typical harry? After all they had potential, and now one is plying his trade as arguabley first choice RB and scored the winner in NLD.

So when it comes to CB, I see his comments on Samba and Rio as being the same as when he was bigging up Scott Parker during england training prior to WC. They's are probable target with short term appeal and a lot of experience, who won't prevent caulker taking the step up in two years time when ledley and gallas are gone.

But maybe that's just me.

Dru said:
Caulker certainly seems to have the potential but when we are playing Bayern away in the CL next year experience counts for a lot.

Gallas is signed on for another year after this one though, right?

Crouch is a Triffic lad..... Yup cheating on your missus with a whore when she's got a bun in the oven is obviously the decent thing to do thse days.... granted Abbie would probably never take it up the harris but c'mon crouchie. Worst player I've seen at the lane in recent years

kushty said:
Crouch is a Triffic lad..... Yup cheating on your missus with a whore when she's got a bun in the oven is obviously the decent thing to do thse days.... granted Abbie would probably never take it up the harris but c'mon crouchie. Worst player I've seen at the lane in recent years
you never saw rasiak then?

Crouchie is an idiot for personal stuff, but frankly (and perhaps tragically) that's par for the course with most prem footballers. But he did at least score some useful goals from recent memory.

I can think of two, milan away, which let's be honest he nealy missed and city away what got us CL again which was more luck than judgement. I could not stand the cunt, and celebrated with joy when he signed for Stoke.

Rasiak yes I did see him and yes he was shit but he was just as shit as the streak of piss cunt crouch

He scored the opener against Wigan in the 9-1, that opened the floodgates. I wasn't his biggest fan but he did have a knack of scoring important goals. Young Boys hat-trick, goal against Inter.

I hated watching him play though.

PAINFUL!

Thelonious Filth said:
He scored the opener against Wigan in the 9-1, that opened the floodgates. I wasn't his biggest fan but he did have a knack of scoring important goals. Young Boys hat-trick, goal against Inter.

I hated watching him play though.

PAINFUL!
I can agree with all of that, it made us one dimsonal an painful to watch, but it did work sometimes.

Rasiak couldn't find a net at a trawling convention.

If we sign another CB then we have a problem when they are all fit (it will happen!)
Cahill would be a good signing if we could also get sell Bassong, but the quoted £15M is ridiculous. There will be bigger clubs in for him - he is CL cup tied.

Personally I think Samba may be a better shout. Not as technical, but a beast of a man who would offer something different.

However, Ideally I'd not sign anybody. We should be ok until Christmas with Gallas now back in training. Come next summer I would like to see Caulker being rotated in to the team to play in the early stages of the cup and some PL games. He needs to be back at Spurs learning with King, Gallas and Dawson.

I'd like to see Naughton back too, just to see if he could offer something to the team.

Some of the younger players wont made the grade, and we will (hopefully) outgrown them (like we did with O'Hara), but I would like to see Caulker and Co get a chance to prove themselves

Back
Top Bottom