Can there be too many signings in a window?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Seeing as we have already done some good business this window, and with rumours of even more to come, is there a possiblilty of changing too much to effect the squad as a whole? At least for the first month or two of the new season.

If it's the same squad that lost to Monaco and Sunderland then I can't say I have too much a problem with it.

But seriously though as someone here said the exodus will probably happen in a matter of days.

I don't think so. Some of our best players last season were new signings in Lloris, Dembele, and Vertonghen. If they're quality players, and it seems like the one's we have signed are, then I have no doubt that they'll be great.

I think we needed this much work, and probably even more. We just have to hope all the new signings can find their feet quickly.

Despite the Capoue pickup making me feel a lot better, still think we need a solid CB pickup and I have no doubt the club believes so as well. I'd still like to see us go after a proven creative attacking center mid (Eriksen for me), but I doubt it's a priority at this point. Would like to think the club has heard mention of the news Fiorentina will only sell Ljajic to a foreign club for 12 mil euros, and are considering the possibility. Young, shown excellence already, and extremely versatile, this one just makes too much sense. Madrid have also apparently set their valuation of Coentrao at 14 mil, and I would not be upset if we took the offer, especially if we guaranteed a reduced price for Bale next summer.

With just a new CB and Ljajic; the sales of Thudd, Parker, and Benny; and loans for Carroll and Livermore; I personally would be pleased and think we'd be set for an excellent season with a fairly smooth ride to top four. Coentrao and Eriksen added, I think we'd be racing with the blue money bags and pissing all over anything wearing red.

I don't think so as long as they aren't redundant moves, i.e. Citeh signing a bunch of a strikers when they dont need an upgrade there.

So far, all of acquisitions are initial quality signings and help solve needs. It may take a little bit for them to gel at the start but they should pay dividends in the end.

I still see a few more moves being made like getting another CB and most likely an upgrade at LB. Also, I see an outside shot at us bringing in another forward who can maybe play on the wings or centrally.

Too many signings...
5uofpXH.gif

I did wonder the same thing about time to settle but truth be told, the team last year was not strong enough, as demonstrated by the reliance on Bale. I'm looking at the investment in the squad and seeing a board and manager who are determined to make the step up this year. Will be very interesting.

In the short term having too many signings could definitely hurt. It takes some time for players to gel and learn how to play with eachother.

However, we have a lot players that are deadwood and we need to buy and build for the future which is what we're doing. Hopefully we're buying the right players. I like the look so far.

Yes. For every player who comes in, good enough to make the first team, it means somebody drops out. Just because you rate a player, doesn't mean AVB does, so it could easily be your favourite player that gets the boot, and the signing you were so pleased about causes your best player to leave.... while the player you hate stays in the team...

Not if most of the work is centered around repairing damage done under previous managers and their utterly myopic self-serving little agenda.

Essentially we're replacing below average players, and MotD specials with top-class (Spurs-level), young continental units with potential, while trimming our wage bill - all as part of a long term development strategy, as opposed to 6-month loans for dying cloggers.

Long may it continue

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom