Buy or Grow?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Which would you prefer?

• Promoting and using players like Sterling/Edwards/CCV/KWP (assuming they were ready)

Votes: 34 64.2%
  • Buying ready-made and experienced players like Douglas/Zaha/Barkley

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Signing other team's young prospects, like Iheanacho

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters
Doing all three is the lazy answer.

The question is posed in the context of this window, where we either sign players in one of two ways, OR we "sign" from within.

The transfer threads are always full of paradigms that don't allow internal development, so I'm curious what people would accept

Where does a Dele Alli fit into the above options?

Option 3 includes the likes of Alli and Dier? Previously Walker and Rose?

Tricky. Rose was signed into the academy like Shiloh Tracey, so counts as opt 1.

I'd say option one is applicable for any players that would not be signed into the first team and for smaller fees. Dele is an anomaly really.

Option 3 interests me as I look at some of the younger players out there at other teams and salivate at the thought of what they could be under poch

Once I read the title 'buy or grow" the first thing came to my mind was weed.

Anyway, why is Iheanacho massively overrated in this forum? He's Stoke City level player at best and agewise is likely closer to 30 than 20.

We need to be like Monaco.

We have to find the stars before they become stars.

We'll never compete with the big boys in the transfer window

We ain't going to compete with the big spenders,it's not what Levy does he keeps a tight ship and I get the idea the majority on here agree with that policy! Poch is under no illusions either and is happy to work we it. Tottenham are a project one of which is an on going one not just a one season wonder! If Walker,Rose or who ever decides or Tottenham decides that a player is going to move on I'm quite sure there will be a plan in place as a replacement and chances are it will be a young player coming through with potential that's fine,you don't want someone who doesn't want to play for you or some mercenary who doesn't give a fuck!

You feel with Poch we've got a manager who'll be able to coach most of our youngsters in to better players. Hence option 1 for me.

Additionally, it's difficult to comprehend any signings this summer who'll go straight in to the 1st XI. Therefore 'new' players will largely be bench warmers so rather they're our own.

I love it when someone from the Academy breaks into the first team squad, or when we buy a player for a peanut (in football terms) and we unearth a diamond. We don't seem to have a lot of success with big money buys.

You need all three, though for option 2 I would hope for better than Zaha and Barkley. I think we are at a higher level nowadays.

It is essential to develop young players who are proper Spurs in our situation because they stay longer which helps you become a bigger club. Look at the effect of Harry Kane. If he stays with us his whole career he will go down as the biggest ever player at Spurs because that loyalty will mean other players stay longer than they otherwise would and we will develop much faster as a result. The impact of Kane staying will be that we become a much bigger club and we will win titles. That is why I love Kane so much and think he will be the biggest Spurs legend ever, a true giant of football, when he retires one day.

But you should supplement that with young from other teams. Look at Bale for instance. You have to sign those players and take a risk because they might be world class one day. You can't only take what is in your local area but have to cast your net a bit wider.

And then you need experience. Especially a club like Tottenham, that is what we are missing at the moment. We have plenty of talent and a great manager, we just need a player who has done it all before to lend his experience to the team and give them additional belief, as well as what that signing can do with the football.

I love it when someone from the Academy breaks into the first team squad, or when we buy a player for a peanut (in football terms) and we unearth a diamond. We don't seem to have a lot of success with big money buys.

sometimes that's because we've one foot in the bath and one foot out, we don't have the money to go balls deep like chelsea or city, and when we do throw the money around its usually for slightly less desirable players.

The question is posed in the context of this window, where we either sign players in one of two ways, OR we "sign" from within.

The transfer threads are always full of paradigms that don't allow internal development, so I'm curious what people would accept
yes, but im a lazy bastard.

i think in an ideal wqorld, apart from one or two that seem to just want to boast about how much money the club spends, we all want to see players come up through the system. ideally local lads (in the modern world, lets equate local as being from london), but at the end of the day, it doesnt matter where they actually hail from.

Like with many other 'Bored-of-Summer-now-Surveys' that ask; "What would you rather; 2nd-4th place/CL or the FA Cup, or missing out on the League but ArseAnal get relegated'... Can't we do both?

Buy to Grow... and Grow to buy!

I've tried to grow but had ventilation problems and stuck the block out. Not to mention manipulating the electricity usage.
So I don't grow anymore, I just buy.

Everything in life needs balance...a mixture of all three options is what we have now and it's been perfect.

To maintain our ethics and future development options 1 and 3 are vital.

In the future depending on what situations arise, we will of course have to buy ready made talent with experience, but our policy will keep that to a minimum.

That's the difference with money bags clubs stockpiling players for a rainy day for hundreds of millions.

Discussed Batshuyai the other day...I wonder what level he'd be at now if he chose us over the cash....

This window 1 and 3 for me

Back
Top Bottom