Bournemouth v Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

SUCH a shame Janssen is being burdened with covering for Kane... rather than fighting him for a spot and playing on merit, he KNOWS he's in the squad by virtue of Kane's absence... that's not really much of a motivation!
Because playing the game you love for millions of pounds a year simply isn't motivation enough.

:pochrolleyes:

Would you not be happier right now three points clear with a couple of 2-0 wins in the bag than you are after two ropey draws?

Of course I would be happier, but we don't have a god-given right to win all our matches against anyone but the top-teams, that's just not going to happen. West Brom and Bournemouth are not Sunderland or last years Aston Villa, they are decent well managed sides, who on top of that we faced at their place and played after midweek European and international matches. Taking those circumstances into account I really don't think these results are as terrible as some claim they are.

Just for some perspective, Leicester were the only team who played in Europe this week and actually managed to win their weekend fixture (okay, City and Southampton did play each other lol, but still).

Also, you act like we had a choice between winning or drawing, but the match against Bournemouth in particular could just as easily have resulted in a loss, at least we avoided that. Personally I expected 3 or 4 points beforehand, so I am somewhat disappointed, but two draws really isn't that bad. Anyone thinking this would've been an easy 6 points is far to optimistic imo.

Speaking for myself and hopefully a number of the "melters" all I'm saying is we should be targeting six points from the last couple of games.

Too simplistic in my opinion. Bournemouth and West Brom at home without midweek fixtures... fair enough, but under the present circumstances? Not so sure. Surely you too see the extra complications for us to play after midweek games and away from home? It makes it a lot harder.

And better performances in attack.

That I certainly agree with, but let's not forget we're missing Kane, who is our most important goalscorer, I expect us to improve a lot upfront once he is back.

In all honesty I think you want teams want teams who are also involved in Europe, so that it's a level playing field. Our fitness (at this stage of the season) is generally strong so I think having goons away after we've both played CL is a good outcome, albeit they have the extra days rest (I think). The worst possible is chavs or bin dippers away. Is Chelsea away after CL? Answering my own question: Yes, after Monaco away. Shit.

Agree with you that considering how Bournemouth played, it was a good result. If they play that way against City etc not many teams will get three points. But we still need more in the final third, which might be remedied by Kane coming back rested and on form.
Kane coming back can only be a good thing. Monaco away we could rest walker and rose and rotate one or two others (we have a decent squad) and possibly get away with it ( a draw). I desperately want to play the Chavs, don't care when, just want to play em-there is a score to settle..

I think people are overreacting
Yes
Would you not be happier right now three points clear with a couple of 2-0 wins in the bag than you are after two ropey draws?
Yes.

We drew both games so lets move on, there is nothing anyone can do about it. Wishing different is nonsense, counter productive & negative. We need to look forward and get positive. We have some big games coming up and we should all look forward to the challenge. COYS

Just for some perspective, Leicester were the only team who played in Europe this week and actually managed to win their weekend fixture (okay, City and Southampton did play each other lol, but still).
Arguably LC had the easiest CL game of us all and then a home game against CP. Look where they are 12th and 9 points off the top. They have lost to Chavs, Utd, Liverpool before Europe-there you go.

I accept I'm being simplistic. I just don't subscribe to the idea that when anyone attached to Spurs, management or players, looked at these last two fixtures they thought "I'll not be disappointed with two draws as these are teams I don't expect us to beat".

I'd be heartbroken if the players or manager thought the last two performances were acceptable. I understand the tiredness factor of playing in midweek, but drawing these matches just cannot be the limit of our ambition.

I accept I'm being simplistic. I just don't subscribe to the idea that when anyone attached to Spurs, management or players, looked at these last two fixtures they thought "I'll not be disappointed with two draws as these are teams I don't expect us to beat".

I'd be heartbroken if the players or manager thought the last two performances were acceptable. I understand the tiredness factor of playing in midweek, but drawing these matches just cannot be the limit of our ambition.
Of course we are all gutted but things could have been a lot worse, we could have lost them both. Both results have to be accepted with as positive outlook as necessary. Not ifs and buts and feeling sorry for ourselves. Theres a lot of games to play and points to gain and time to enjoy.

Lose to anyone, I'm gutted big time-Win ecstatic. We can dwindle on the negatives but we must move on with positives.

Yeah, don't really see how anyone can disagree.

I was more than happy with Pochettino coming out and saying that we aren't good enough instead of saying how "it's one of those days" etc that managers tend to say.

Last edited:
Isn't it strange that in the past however many years we have always had a world class player up front like Bale, Gazza, Ginola, Klinsmann. The more I keep thinking about it with the best defence in the Prem and Kane up top we really are short just one A grade player. If we had KDB or Payet I would bet us to win the league it feels that close now, it just frustrates me how near we are to something special. We need our Alderwierald but in attack.

Kane coming back can only be a good thing. Monaco away we could rest walker and rose and rotate one or two others (we have a decent squad) and possibly get away with it ( a draw). I desperately want to play the Chavs, don't care when, just want to play em-there is a score to settle..
Absolutely fucking right. I'm hoping that the need to settle that score will give our players unlimited energy to beat them in that game, because I'm sure our lads will also feel there will be a score to settle.

I wonder if, in some respects, it wouldn't be so bad to lose a match at some point before Christmas.

We had a really long unbeaten run this time last season that had far too many draws in it - we'd rather our players had the motivation to go out and win every time more than 'keeping the run going'.
I swear Poch said that it coming to an end last season was probably for the best and allowed us to focus again.

I wonder if, in some respects, it wouldn't be so bad to lose a match at some point before Christmas.

We had a really long unbeaten run this time last season that had far too many draws in it - we'd rather our players had the motivation to go out and win every time more than 'keeping the run going'.
I swear Poch said that it coming to an end last season was probably for the best and allowed us to focus again.

But why does not losing disbar you from focussing on victory? I just don't buy it.

But why does not losing disbar you from focussing on victory? I just don't buy it.
I think it can. At least, it can if the media spin it into the narrative of 'unbeaten Spurs' during the preamble to any match. It could be the slight difference between going all out at 1-1 with five minutes to go versus settling for the draw.

Perhaps it's a moot point anyway as Poch does seem to be instilling a good attitude into the players - with Lloris' quotes about the draw against Bournemouth not being good enough showing that.

I think it can. At least, it can if the media spin it into the narrative of 'unbeaten Spurs' during the preamble to any match. It could be the slight difference between going all out at 1-1 with five minutes to go versus settling for the draw.

Perhaps it's a moot point anyway as Poch does seem to be instilling a good attitude into the players - with Lloris' quotes about the draw against Bournemouth not being good enough showing that.

Bournemouth played really well, and Howe got it spot on. They defended from the front, and really competed. It's just boring to hear people going on about West Brom and Bournemouth and how, historically, we should be slaughtering these teams away from home, it's just a load of crap.

We met a bunch of Bournemouth fans in the King's Stores in Liverpool St earlier this year, and they were brilliant fun. After we'd won 3-0 they turned up and beers were shared. It's why I go to football. I try to avoid the 'we should win every game crowd' They're as boring as on here.

Bournemouth played really well, and Howe got it spot on. They defended from the front, and really competed. It's just boring to hear people going on about West Brom and Bournemouth and how, historically, we should be slaughtering these teams away from home, it's just a load of crap.

We met a bunch of Bournemouth fans in the King's Stores in Liverpool St earlier this year, and they were brilliant fun. After we'd won 3-0 they turned up and beers were shared. It's why I go to football. I try to avoid the 'we should win every game crowd' They're as boring as on here.
I agree with you on most of that Joe, and my comment previously wasn't specifically about the Bournemouth game.

That was a combination of good tactics by Howe, some tired legs/brains from us, and missing at least two key players through injury. Sods law that Bournemouth finally picked a more clever game plan against the big team when it came to facing us - they were lovely and open last year! (and against Man City a few weeks ago)

Considering the lack of Kane in recent weeks, we're in a bloody good position. I just fear the tiring schedule that then leads into a nasty run of games in November.

I agree with you on most of that Joe, and my comment previously wasn't specifically about the Bournemouth game.

That was a combination of good tactics by Howe, some tired legs/brains from us, and missing at least two key players through injury. Sods law that Bournemouth finally picked a more clever game plan against the big team when it came to facing us - they were lovely and open last year! (and against Man City a few weeks ago)

Considering the lack of Kane in recent weeks, we're in a bloody good position. I just fear the tiring schedule that then leads into a nasty run of games in November.

I am reminded of a moment in a posh Indian restaurant in Beaconsfield, when my wife dug me in the ribs and urged me to listen to listen to a Manchester United supporting woman at an adjacent table. She was saying "l didn't buy a season ticket to watch them lose". I fear some of our supporters are no different. An unrealistic fanbase, embarrassing us in public. I honestly preferred it when we were shit - and we had 2 points from 8 games at the time. We didn't have those miserable hangers on in those days - it was pure. A point away was always seen as a good point, and we could enjoy the weekend. It's not much fun supporting Spurs these days with the mithering cunts who claim allegiance at the moment.

A quarter of the way into the season and we are one miserable stinking point from the top. Which Spurs are the naysayers complaining about? I think I know - a totally unrealistic set of entitled cunts, who make the the people who make the effort look bad.

Last edited:
I am reminded of a moment in a posh Indian restaurant in Beaconsfield, when my wife dug me in the ribs and urged me to listen to listen to a Manchester United supporting woman at an adjacent table. She was saying "l didn't buy a season ticket to watch them lose". I fear some of our supporters are no different. An unrealistic fanbase, embarrassing us in public. I honestly preferred it when we were shit - and we had 2 points from 8 games at the time. We didn't have those miserable hangers on in those days - it was pure. A point away was always seen as a good point, and we could enjoy the weekend. It's not much fun supporting Spurs these days with the mithering cunts who claim allegiance at the moment.

A quarter of the way into the season and we are one miserable stinking point from the top. Which Spurs are the naysayers complaining about? I think I know - a totally unrealistic set of entitled cunts, who make the the people who make the effort look bad.
The FIFA generation. Of all the cunty things FIFA has put their name to that fucking game has to be the worst. That and Football Manager has spawned a generation of pseudo tacticians and back seat managers. The lot of them are ruining the game and trying to drain every last drop of honest pleasure that can be got from the once beautiful game.
Pele would be rolling in his grave if the old cunt would just give up and die

Back
Top Bottom