Billy Nicholson 1962 - another era for sponsorship

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

DofE77RXsAARJ2b.jpg:large

Lovely bit of history there. How times have changed. I love the old telephone number Tottenham 1020. I'm old enough to remember 4 digit phone numbers (3 digits in villages I believe). People used to answer the phone by reciting their own telephone number, which nowadays strikes me as a peculiar habit to have formed. I suppose in the days of rotary dial phones it was much more common to call a wrong number and that was a way of cutting confusion off at the pass?

Lovely bit of history there. How times have changed. I love the old telephone number Tottenham 1020. I'm old enough to remember 4 digit phone numbers (3 digits in villages I believe). People used to answer the phone by reciting their own telephone number, which nowadays strikes me as a peculiar habit to have formed. I suppose in the days of rotary dial phones it was much more common to call a wrong number and that was a way of cutting confusion off at the pass?

Yup the old rotary phones and elecromechanical Strowager exchanges (replaced in the 80's I think) meant wrong numbers were much more common - but in turn they were an innovation and more modern than having lots of women routing each call separately which were still around in the 50's.

How times change within a relatively short period of time.

And it didn't have gradient, or a heritage stripe, or shoulder pads or a giant fuck off red sponsor... clean white with navy badge and number.

As a youngster whenever I rang the club, I used to chant -

01, 828, 1020, TOTTENHAM!

I've impressed myself by remembering that.

Sir Bill

What a gent, he used to park in the school behind the East Stand, would always say “hello lads”
when we walked past.

Me and my old man signed the book of remembrance when he passed away, legend.

A lot of comments on the thread saying nice but not enough ... a statue and a Bill Nicholson stand, nothing less!

Late to this.

I think you'll find that there is a lot more to come. We already know that his ashes are buried in the new Stadium. We already know that the gates will be going up somewhere outside the new stadium and we know that we will have a Museum incorporated into Warmington House, where a complete recreation of his old office (using all the oak panelling from the original) is to be reinstated.

At the risk of being controversial, Spurs should spend more time on other past Managers like John Cameron, Peter McWilliam, Arthur Rowe and Kieth Burkinshaw all legends at the Club but rarely remembered/celebrated.

A lot of comments on the thread saying nice but not enough ... a statue and a Bill Nicholson stand, nothing less!

I'm surprised that somewhere around the new build we couldn't find a suitable place for the. Old Bill Nick gates to find a new home. Would have loved to see them make an appearance possibly between where the SW corner of the stadium meets behind the club shop steps etc

Back
Top Bottom