Big Brad needs to come out

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

jimmyriggle

Blatant
Not in a bum loving way though.

I think Friedel had shown a lot of positives both individually and for the team in general since replacing gomes as our number one. However there's been a few occasions where we've conceded from a cross or a set piece and I've wondered why he hasn't at least tried to come off his line and punch/catch the ball.

This weekend was another one.

It's all very well saying he's not that sort of keeper. But for me a truly top class keeper needs to be able to mix up his styles when appropriate. The goal we conceded against wolves was a floated corner to the back stick. Surely Brad could have come and twatted it away before it even reached Johnson's head? Dawson misses his header but the area the ball is delivered into means he is always back peddling.

Anyway, I love you Brad, but would it kill you to come out and punch once in a while?

I hate keepers that punch but that's very much a personal thing. It's something that's crept into the English game over the last 15 years (fuck that sounds xenophobic!). Obviously in some cases a punch is needed, I wish we had a keeper who could do the one handed catch like Jennings.

Agree about Friedel but the defenders know he's not going to come out for it and they should clear their lines accordingly.

Friedel just seems a very no frills kind of bloke. I think he likes to minimise risk and stay level-headed. He doesn't showboat and I think it would be unnatural for him to start coming out and punching the ball. He would probably fuck it up.

Agree with above... yes, Gomes may well have cme out and punched that one away... but in doing that, would probably have left himself horribly exposed and out of position, for when the inevitable 2nd ball came flying past him and in...

Brad has saved WAY more goals than he's cost us... Gomes tends to save the occasional spectacular, but do the simple things badly, and end up costing us a goal or two ANYWAY!

whilst I loved the 'Freund-esque' cult status of Gomes at the time, for the same reason i wouldn't swap Freund with parker, the same applies now we've got BRAD between the sticks.

BRAD ALL THE WAY!

I say Brad can keep doing what he's been doing. When you dont really notice a keeper is when the team are going very well, and he hasnt been in the limelight too much....

Dru said:
I say Brad can keep doing what he's been doing. When you dont really notice a keeper is when the team are going very well, and he hasnt been in the limelight too much....

...what, you mean like not doing this whenever he gets a blow to the ribs?

images

he'll come out when he is ready - i mean it's totally obvious, but you know Americans are a bit funny about that kind of stuff - probably still get hung for it in some places

Flav said:
Dru said:

FROFL This is the funniest thing I've ever seen

..well if you call being denied a hard-earned point by some appalling reffing (the type of 'eyesight' we could've done with up at OT a few years back!) 'the funniest thing' then knock yerself out!!

But I get you mean Gomes' pained expression...???

1882 said:
Flav said:
Dru said:

FROFL This is the funniest thing I've ever seen

..well if you call being denied a hard-earned point by some appalling reffing (the type of 'eyesight' we could've done with up at OT a few years back!) 'the funniest thing' then knock yerself out!!

But I get you mean Gomes' pained expression...???

Was at that game, popped down to the bar before half time and only saw Spurs fans come down punching the wall. Wasn't funny then still isn't. Fucking terrible mistakes.

them 3 pictures are painfully funny

Big Brad aint changing and he don't need to either

he's a top quality keeper, none of them are perfect

Back
Top Bottom