Ben Davies

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Not ashamed to admit, I havent even heard of this lad. And as I dont play Fifa and my football knowledge is generally okay, to me it means he is not worth £15M.

Maybe, im wrong though, so care to elaborate a bit more on him?

I've seen him play a lot and he's never had a bad game. Younger than Fryers, better than probably anything we have and certainly more consistent. Not much between him and Luke Shaw apart from the unavoidable English player tax and the fact he's not a Chelsea fan.

Defends well, attacks when he can and plays the modern full-back role entirely naturally. Everything about him smells like a 'Levy' signing too, in terms of age, potential and sell-on value. Has the much needed league experience too, as well as the odd spell in the Europa.

I'm a huge fan personally - think he's just what we need. He's first team at Swansea and a boyhood fan, so I'd guess they'd value him between £8-15m easily.

Just noted his completed pass tally vs our current options. That's a stunning disparity, especially in the context of how terrible we've been of late holding on to the ball.

Took over the left back spot for Swansea and Wales from Neil Taylor, linked with an £8m move to Liverpool in January.

His name is too common though, can't see Real Madrid taking him off us when he follows the Bale path.

Fun fact, he could have played rugby for the Ospreys, and he was faced with a choice between being an egg chaser or football. Looks like he made the right decision to me.

I like Davies a lot. He's a really good player. I think I still rate Danny Rose higher I think because I prefer Rose's athleticism and think he still has a lot of room to grow. Those stats also paint Rose in an unfair light as they are almost all cumulative and Rose has played about half as much as Davies this season.

The LB situation is a difficult one. We clearly need depth but LBs are quite clearly a limited commodity. Rose was one of the best in the league last year and I personally don't subscribe to the idea that he has been anything besides very good when he's been healthy this season. But he has a poor injury history and needs back up. We also know he wants to be first choice or he'll leave.

So the question then becomes would Ben Davies want to leave his home club to come over and at best split time with Rose. We're certainly a better club and would pay a lot more in wages but would that be enough to override loyalty and the virtual guarantee of a starting spot he has at Swansea? Seems like it might be hard sell to him. I doubt he would be in a rush to leave Swansea when he's only 20 and still developing. Plus 15m is a lot for the club to spend when we already have a pretty good LB.

Finding a LB will be tough since there is so few quality ones and they would have to compete for playing time here. I can't see us being able to land a first choice PL LB. I think Rose is a good first choice option and could develop into a great one. His injury history is the only real concern for me. I think it's extremely unlikely to see the club spend 8 figures on a fullback. Davies is worth that much in a vacuum though.

Just noted his completed pass tally vs our current options. That's a stunning disparity, especially in the context of how terrible we've been of late holding on to the ball.

I don't think we should put too much emphasis on that stat in particular.
Swansea plays the ball a lot - often sideways. Many passes, impressive completion stats in general, but often toothless as well, whereas a guy like Rose will go for the gold and therefore fail more often.

Do like him a lot though, and would be pleased with him in our squad.

I don't think we should put too much emphasis on that stat in particular.
Swansea plays the ball a lot - often sideways. Many passes, impressive completion stats in general, but often toothless as well, whereas a guy like Rose will go for the gold and therefore fail more often.

Do like him a lot though, and would be pleased with him in our squad.

I think you make an excellent point here, but Rose is not great at getting the ball to the feet of our midfielders even in the middle third. My underlying point is that I don't think we should spend anywhere close to 15 mil on a new left back, but if one comes available (such as Davies) that's significantly better in an area that Rose is particularly weak at, I'm not opposed to pursuing it for a decent price.

Seems to have a lot better positional awareness at LB than Rose in my eyes, also seems to know when to attack and when not to. More importantly his crossing seems to be a lot better than any of our current full backs (not hard). Safe bet, lots of potential, nothing over £10 mill..

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom