Bargain Hunt — Why Championship Talent Could See Spurs Advance

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The league they play in is an indication of their abilities? The Eredivsie is on the whole bang average. The Holland team for quite a few seasons has been terrible with very little talent to select. Only now, in the last few years have players like DeJong and Deligt appeared. PSV have a couple of talented players, Lozano and another winger whose name escapes me, but look at Janssen and Locadia who scored goals for fun in Holland but have been rubbish in the PL. There is no guarantee players like Neres and Ziyech can transfer their talents to a better league either

VanDijk left Holland and played in Scotland for Celtic before joining Southampton and then Liverpool and look at him now. I didn't see anyone say that Van Dijk was world class when he played in Holland or in the Scottish League. Some players take time to develop. Grealish has taken a bit longer to come good but he is on the right road and might make a very clever signing for someone if Villa don't come up.

I get it, I do, there are Spurs fans limping about with erections thinking about Grealish. 7 good games and he's a superstar. See Villa won again without him. Perhaps we should be looking for Grealish and McGinn. Maybe SausageVince was right all along.

Van Dijk experienced big games against Barcelona etc, not Rotherham and Ipswich. Now £40million is the going rate for "Well he is homegrown"?

Any deals going with Ipswich. I mean they weren't good enough to stay in the Championship, but at least they don't play abroad.

I get it, I do, there are Spurs fans limping about with erections thinking about Grealish. 7 good games and he's a superstar. See Villa won again without him. Perhaps we should be looking for Grealish and McGinn. Maybe SausageVince was right all along.

Van Dijk experienced big games against Barcelona etc, not Rotherham and Ipswich. Now £40million is the going rate for "Well he is homegrown"?

Any deals going with Ipswich. I mean they weren't good enough to stay in the Championship, but at least they don't play abroad.

Are you frustrated with Levy/Poch/the club for not identifying and investing in the players you think will make us trophy winners?

You know why some fans get erections whenever a player like Grealish does something decent. It's because our expectations on the type of player we can bring in have been lowered. We are a club that doesn't pay big wages or transfer fees. We are not going to pay 180k a week and 70 mill for a Van Dijk. De Jong would rather take the glory as well as the money on offer at Barca. Most likely the same with Deligt. Elite players will go where they are offered the most money and have the best chance of winning things

Where does that leave us then? Sifting through the scraps that the bigger richer clubs don't want. Until the club goes out and brings in one or two world class players to show everyone we really mean business you are going to get some fans creaming themselves over the likes of Grealish

I'm all for signing big potential from the lower leagues, but by 23/24 potential is in the past and you need the real deal. I'm all for signing 18 year old showing the promising or having the raw materials to become something better, I'm not into signing players just because. We went after Grealish pre-season, we also went after De Jong pre-season. Try telling me the Championship player is better than the Ajax player. Try telling me there is a better centre half in the Championship than De Ligt. The league they play in is an indication of their capabilities, and lets face it De Jong and De Ligt will be playing at the very top next season.

But the original article was naming about 11 players with one potentially being a starter for us next season and a spend of about £200 million for the top 6 or 7 choices. We need 3 or 4 big players and maybe 2 or 3 young potential players.

Grealish didn't get a mention before he went off injured, came back, Villa won 7 in a row and Grealish became Messi.

Last para is pure nonsense.... A pointless falsehood. Some fancied him, some didn't. Little has changed on that front.

In a parralell universe, a 5 year old sulks about their xmas presents before Santa's even been to visit.

I'm all for signing big potential from the lower leagues, but by 23/24 potential is in the past and you need the real deal. I'm all for signing 18 year old showing the promising or having the raw materials to become something better, I'm not into signing players just because. We went after Grealish pre-season, we also went after De Jong pre-season. Try telling me the Championship player is better than the Ajax player. Try telling me there is a better centre half in the Championship than De Ligt. The league they play in is an indication of their capabilities, and lets face it De Jong and De Ligt will be playing at the very top next season.

But the original article was naming about 11 players with one potentially being a starter for us next season and a spend of about £200 million for the top 6 or 7 choices. We need 3 or 4 big players and maybe 2 or 3 young potential players.

Grealish didn't get a mention before he went off injured, came back, Villa won 7 in a row and Grealish became Messi.

Van Dijk was playing for Celtic when he was 23/24 though & look at what he's become since. Some players mature at different stages of their careers, some need the right environment, manager or responsibility to take their game onto a new level. You mention Grealish vs De Jong as to who is better. De Jong clearly is otherwise Barcelona wouldn't have forked out £65m for him. Just because Grealish isn't as good as De Jong it doesn't mean he's a bad player. Either way I'm sure Grealish will be a Premier League footballer next season and we'll see how he fares.

Just bring Roles, Edwards and Shashoua through if we want attacking midfielders. They won't actually cost us anything and they're all incredibly talented players in their own right, who are each 19-20 years old. I have no actual issue with us buying english players, but for some reason a few people have a massive erection for buying 5-6 championship players and filling our gaps with those players. I don't see how we improve as a team if we're replacing Dembele, Eriksen, Alderweireld, etc. with some random 20 year old championship player at Ipswich. Do we want to win the title or drop back from city and Liverpool even further? Those sorts of signings should be on top of bringing in proper quality, not as our actual solution imo. Liverpool got in Robertson who has been great, and oxlade-chamberlain, but they also bought Keita, Fabinho, Salah, Van Dijk, Allison amongst others. Salah was the cheapest at 30 or so million. That's the sort of thing we need to do.

Would anyone be confident that we would even get a so called bargain player?

The perversity is that we seem to have got less attractive as we have become mildly successful.

Honestly work that out.

Put Grealish in that Ajax team and he would be playing in the quarters of the CL. Should we consider every Ajax player just because they are in the CL quarters

Is it his fault Villa prevented him from leaving and made him play another season in the championship?
Had he joined Spurs last summer right now he too would be in the CL quarters just like Van De Beek. Would that mean he is a better player than he is now?

Difficult question to answer really , if he'd come to Spurs he would have had to improve to get significant game time.

Grealish may not have gotten a mention in the press, but that should never be taken as the player not having been good. The footballing media are spectacularly bad at that part of the game. As horrible as it sounds, the footballing hipster sites on social media have often been good at drawing attention to kids who are also getting noticed by clubs, well before the press ever hear their names. And Grealish has been standing out as a guy who should be getting a move up to something more challenging than the Championship for about 18 months now.

The more we are linked with a player the less I believe it. When we do get a player it is normally one where there has been no discussion before the signing. The club are right on top of leaks by the look of it.

That’s my point mate.....people slag off the Champo but forget it has a higher standard than most of the teams in Holland, France, Belgium and Portugal.

But name some random unknown kid with a bit of hype from one of those leagues and everyone wants us to spunk 60M on them
Michy-Batshuayi-1140x712.jpg

200px-Bakayoko_2018.jpg

sky-sports-manchester-united_4341877.jpg

So you would be alright signing 5 players who just got their team relegated and replace players in our team, sitting third in the league, and that would be "improvement".

Grealish has had 7 good games this season and some think he's better than Van De Beek who is playing in the QF of the CL and in a team top of their league having scored over 100 goals??

Sign them if they are young and might develop. If they are 24 and haven't yet really played at the top level then there is something wrong.

I’d rather Grealish than some random from a mid table Portuguese club

Shall we talk about our record this year with and without Harry?
You can if you want, it bears zero relevance to our potential signings since he's actually our player.

Grealish is getting big licks because apparently he is single handedly driving Villa to the EPL. Except he's not.

You can if you want, it bears zero relevance to our potential signings since he's actually our player.

Grealish is getting big licks because apparently he is single handedly driving Villa to the EPL. Except he's not.

It just makes your point about Villa winning without him look rather stupid that’s all

I’d rather Grealish than some random from a mid table Portuguese club
The "Random" you referred to it the quoted post plays for the team top of the Dutch league and guess what, he's just scored in the CL quarter final.

Fucking Randoms, get them in Line of Duty

Back
Top Bottom