Bargain Hunt — Why Championship Talent Could See Spurs Advance

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I think Sessegnons year in the Prem has shone a pinsharp spotlight on the gap between the first 2 steps of English football.

The Championship is an excellent competition, full of great battles, but it’s just not the Premier League. Look at Wolves, who bought their promotion. Ok they haven’t struggled this year, but they haven’t quite ripped it up like many of their fans thought they would. It’s just a completely different level.

For the most part, in my view, championship players are playing at that level because it’s their level.

From his list in the article I’d probably give him Robinson. With the rest of the names it’s a struggle to see who they would challenge/replace in our squad.

most league's in Europe are no better than the Championship, we need home grown players/English players so we have to look in the championship, are any of these in acticle good enough who knows until you try them, look at how well we have done buying cheap from aboard, even Sissoko has taken 2 poor seasons until he has started to play to a standard we need.at least buying a homegrown player means they can be in the squad unlike our foreign players

So we haven't enjoyed the likes of Eriksen and Vertonghen? Not everyone has struggled like Janssen.

That’s my point mate.....people slag off the Champo but forget it has a higher standard than most of the teams in Holland, France, Belgium and Portugal.

But name some random unknown kid with a bit of hype from one of those leagues and everyone wants us to spunk 60M on them

That’s my point mate.....people slag off the Champo but forget it has a higher standard than most of the teams in Holland, France, Belgium and Portugal.

But name some random unknown kid with a bit of hype from one of those leagues and everyone wants us to spunk 60M on them
NOOOOOO!!
That's bs.

I don't know much about the Championship. Who's up for grabs and could turn out good for us? If we assume players promoted would like to give it a go with their current clubs, that could rule out Max Aarons, Jamal Lewis, Ben Godfrey, Jack Clarke, Jack Grealish etc.

Now I haven't got enough insight, but that only leaves me with players like Jarrod Bowen, Daniel James and Che Adams. Bowen I'm not totally convinced about, but okay, he could do the same as Lamela. Daniel James I would love to acquire, just because of insane speed. If we really need a backup striker for Harry, I don't see why Che Adams couldn't warm the bench as well as anyone else. But to be honest I would rather like "some random unknown kid with a bit of hype" called Silas Wamangituka from Paris FC.

If there are a couple of good prospects from the championship with some championship games under their belt who are better than from our own academy no reason not to buy say 2 if we are buying say 4 established players as well.

Someone like say Daniel James could really make an impact as s speedy winger ,- we need say 6 AMs and have 5 ( Erikssen Son Dele Moira Lamela) now so what is not to like ? if Erikssen goes we need to replace him as well. James might be £ 15m so helps spread budget if we are to buy say 6 players this TW

“Don’t want Champo players......
Sign players from Eredivisie!!!!!!”

:pochfacepalm:
So you would be alright signing 5 players who just got their team relegated and replace players in our team, sitting third in the league, and that would be "improvement".

Grealish has had 7 good games this season and some think he's better than Van De Beek who is playing in the QF of the CL and in a team top of their league having scored over 100 goals??

Sign them if they are young and might develop. If they are 24 and haven't yet really played at the top level then there is something wrong.

I think Sessegnons year in the Prem has shone a pinsharp spotlight on the gap between the first 2 steps of English football.

The Championship is an excellent competition, full of great battles, but it’s just not the Premier League. Look at Wolves, who bought their promotion. Ok they haven’t struggled this year, but they haven’t quite ripped it up like many of their fans thought they would. It’s just a completely different level.

For the most part, in my view, championship players are playing at that level because it’s their level.

From his list in the article I’d probably give him Robinson. With the rest of the names it’s a struggle to see who they would challenge/replace in our squad.

You highlight Sessegnon but ignore Maddison and Brooks

Harry played on loan in the championship, didn't pull up any trees but look at what he became. Dele was a championship/league 1 player

Then talent is there is just a matter of picking the right ones with ability and the correct mentality. Just like from any league tbh.

The only issue is that these players usually need a bit longer to adapt to the PL. Our issue right now is do we have that time because the pressure to win silverware is growing and growing. For us to succeed now we need players ready to deliver now. Top players have the experience but will cost a fortune to acquire. Over to you Poch and Levy

So you would be alright signing 5 players who just got their team relegated and replace players in our team, sitting third in the league, and that would be "improvement".

Grealish has had 7 good games this season and some think he's better than Van De Beek who is playing in the QF of the CL and in a team top of their league having scored over 100 goals??

Sign them if they are young and might develop. If they are 24 and haven't yet really played at the top level then there is something wrong.

Put Grealish in that Ajax team and he would be playing in the quarters of the CL. Should we consider every Ajax player just because they are in the CL quarters

Is it his fault Villa prevented him from leaving and made him play another season in the championship?
Had he joined Spurs last summer right now he too would be in the CL quarters just like Van De Beek. Would that mean he is a better player than he is now?

Put Grealish in that Ajax team and he would be playing in the quarters of the CL. Should we consider every Ajax player just because they are in the CL quarters

Is it his fault Villa prevented him from leaving and made him play another season in the championship?
Had he joined Spurs last summer right now he too would be in the CL quarters just like Van De Beek. Would that mean he is a better player than he is now?
And who would you have him starting in front of?
Eriksen, Dele, Son? Who?

Also had your Aunt had balls.....you know how ifs and buts work

And who would you have him starting in front of?
Eriksen, Dele, Son? Who?

Also had your Aunt had balls.....you know how ifs and buts work

It's not that he should start in front of anybody. He should have increased the competition and made sure the other guys stayed on top of their game. And once in a while he would get opportunities, like in january (where we were down to our bare bones), and if he made the most of it, he would be starter.

We can't ignore the fact, that once in a while we need some homegrown talent. Preferable from our own ranks, but we aren't Benfica so sometimes we need to invest. I don't see why it have to be the Championship. Of course it's more expensive, but the talent in the Premiership might be more exciting. I'd love a player like Morgan Gibbs-White.

I'm all for signing big potential from the lower leagues, but by 23/24 potential is in the past and you need the real deal. I'm all for signing 18 year old showing the promising or having the raw materials to become something better, I'm not into signing players just because. We went after Grealish pre-season, we also went after De Jong pre-season. Try telling me the Championship player is better than the Ajax player. Try telling me there is a better centre half in the Championship than De Ligt. The league they play in is an indication of their capabilities, and lets face it De Jong and De Ligt will be playing at the very top next season.

But the original article was naming about 11 players with one potentially being a starter for us next season and a spend of about £200 million for the top 6 or 7 choices. We need 3 or 4 big players and maybe 2 or 3 young potential players.

Grealish didn't get a mention before he went off injured, came back, Villa won 7 in a row and Grealish became Messi.

I'm all for signing big potential from the lower leagues, but by 23/24 potential is in the past and you need the real deal. I'm all for signing 18 year old showing the promising or having the raw materials to become something better, I'm not into signing players just because. We went after Grealish pre-season, we also went after De Jong pre-season. Try telling me the Championship player is better than the Ajax player. Try telling me there is a better centre half in the Championship than De Ligt. The league they play in is an indication of their capabilities, and lets face it De Jong and De Ligt will be playing at the very top next season.

But the original article was naming about 11 players with one potentially being a starter for us next season and a spend of about £200 million for the top 6 or 7 choices. We need 3 or 4 big players and maybe 2 or 3 young potential players.

Grealish didn't get a mention before he went off injured, came back, Villa won 7 in a row and Grealish became Messi.

The league they play in is an indication of their abilities? The Eredivsie is on the whole bang average. The Holland team for quite a few seasons has been terrible with very little talent to select. Only now, in the last few years have players like DeJong and Deligt appeared. PSV have a couple of talented players, Lozano and another winger whose name escapes me, but look at Janssen and Locadia who scored goals for fun in Holland but have been rubbish in the PL. There is no guarantee players like Neres and Ziyech can transfer their talents to a better league either

VanDijk left Holland and played in Scotland for Celtic before joining Southampton and then Liverpool and look at him now. I didn't see anyone say that Van Dijk was world class when he played in Holland or in the Scottish League. Some players take time to develop. Grealish has taken a bit longer to come good but he is on the right road and might make a very clever signing for someone if Villa don't come up.

Back
Top Bottom