Barcelona (a) CL 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Guido 🇺🇦 Guido 🇺🇦 bus-conductor bus-conductor

Thought you might look to see how Barcelona valued their midfield which played against Winks and Sissoko. Thinks its an interesting indication of our own midfield value !

Carles Alena, buyout €75m (signed as a youth)
Arthur purchase 2018 €31m (£28m), buyout €400m
Rakitic £16m in 2014, buyout €125m (Sub for Busquets at 45 minutes buyout €500m )

Dier is by far superior to Winks as a DEFENSIVE Midfielder, it's why he plays week in and week out, also have the ability for us to tactically switch things up with him going CB in a 3 or 4, or for him to play at RB all without Poch having to make a sub.

But Poch threw this out of the window knowing that our Midfield would be better, bigger and more experienced than theirs. I should have phrased better re Arthur's experience, I was specifically referring to top-flight games, so with Barcelonalona, (hard to count the Brazilian Serie A League as a top league) therefore we are talking 9 appearances, his debut being against us in pre-season.

The conventional wisdom says Dier is, but Dier is not a great DM. Being a good DM isn't just about being a big lump space filler who puts in a big tackle once a game.

I realise some games we are going to need some robust defensively ballast that Dier gives, but the PL is evolving and Dier is not a great defensive midfielder. He's slow, got the turn of loaded tanker in the Panama Canal, can't play out of a press, can't move past anyone with the ball, can't press very well (he can tackle well but that's not the same at all) and his football is about creative as a kids game of dot to dots.

The reason he plays is simply because Wanyama fucked himself 18 months ago and Dembele's deteriorated.

The fact that Poch has actually not played him a few times now says he's aware Dier isn't great. Can you imagine Barca going into an important game and leaving out Busquets, or Conte last year not playing Kante? Even Guardiola and Fernandinho.

Until we can find our own Kante/Torriera/Fernandinho - a defensively good busy fucker who can also play football - (and the answer may come out of our academy) I think we can be braver and take a more proactive approach - like we did at Barca. Instead of relying on a more reactive approach with Dier, play a CM3 of Eriksen/Alli/Winks - press better, control the ball, transition better, smarter - get the ball to wide forwards like Lamela, Moura, Son quicker, create better chances, and more of them.

I don't think Poch knew our midfield would be better, why would he? He didn't know Busquets wouldn't start for example (and he did play 45) and Arter showed how good he was at Wembley and Rakatic is one of the best 8's in Europe, and he'd also have Coutinho, a 125m player in there (in some capacity) too.

I think it was shit or bust and he rolled the dice, knew we needed something more proactive and footballing than Dier plodding around, went for it and was rewarded. I hope it's given him food for thought. We don't always need the safety parachute of people like Dier (or even Sissoko - who's defensive contribution is massively over rated by some too).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom