Barcelona (a) CL 18/19 ratings

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

MOTM

• Total voters
Fortune Favours the Footballers

Selections

I liked the team Poch put out tonight. It was positive, proactive, and progressive. No plodding Dier, no pretention of pragmatism. It was a side put out to play football on the front foot.

Structure

There was some suggestion that we started 4231 with Winks in Sissoko in CM, but I think it was more 4231/4141 with the ball in forward areas, but a 41212 diamond without, with Sissoko and Eriksen ahead/either side of Winks sitting centrally and Alli at the tip of the diamond. To Poch’s credit he soon adjusted this to a flatter midfield three (more 4312) and eventually, second half switched to a 433/4312 hybrid which changed again with the last sub to something hard to define, 4222 maybe?

The Game

We started the game reasonably, but were sucker punched from our own set piece. A horrible moment for KWP, who got caught on the ball and ruthlessly punished by the powerful and adroit Dembele.

It took us a little while to recover our rhythm, and this was helped by Poch switching us from the 41212 diamond to a flatter cm3, 4312 with Alli also dropping in to help, now we could compete with their midfield three, and we started to gently apply control the game. This control grew as the game wore on. We started the second half very much on the front foot, took control and turned a 48% game into a 53%, but we really took it by the bollocks in the 60thminute when Poch put Lamela in for KWP, moved Sissoko to RB, Alli back into the CM3 and went 433/4312 hybrid. Now we had three footballers in midfield.

We were pretty good for the first hour and created two or three great chances, but that last thirty minutes was one of the most compelling half hours of football we’ve played in the last couple of years, with that total footballing CM3, it was like watching Guardiola’s City. We were ruthlessly tearing Barca to pieces, put some lively moves together and created some wonderful chances, and in the end kind of fitting that we scored one of those very Pep type goals, at the spiritual home of Pep, with a piercing move, started when Eriksen takes out two lines of midfield with surgical precision, the ball finds it’s way to Kane, via Lamela, who fizzes one of those great un-missable balls across the six yard to Moura, who coolly smashed home. It was a proper footballing goal, incision, precision.

It was one of those great footballing moments, like the winner in the San Siro a few years back, the smashing up of Real Madrid last year, against the odds, this game was epitomising our Champions League run this season, high on endeavour, low on luck, but even better than luck is quality, and that’s how we got this result.

It was just a shame that we didn’t get the actual win on the night our performance deserved, such a shame that Rose couldn’t apply the finish to another sublime Eriksen/Kane move.

I’ll get to the outstanding Eriksen later, but first a mention for Winks, I was critical of him at the weekend , as an “8” I was a bit disappointed by his lack of incision and ambition, but played as the central 6 tonight, given a much more disciplined task against one of Europe’s best midfields, no DM out there holding his hand, this was one of his best performances in a Spurs shirt, and though I think a lot of what he did tonight will go under a lot of radars, I thought he was quietly outstanding. We got the result we needed in this game because we out-footballed Barca. With the more dynamic and dexterous Winks, instead of Dier, we were better équipes to play through their press. We did what not many teams do, we out-passed Barca in Barca. And Nobody on the pitch, including Braca players, completed more passes than Winks (65/71 92% are outstanding numbers in the Camp Nou), he was positionally disciplined, the metronomic hub that help keep the more creative players all around him ticking, providing the glue that knitted this performance together.

If Winks was the glue, Eriksen was conductor, and this wasn’t the quiet conductor we often see, this was an absolute screaming master class of a performance, right up there with his best performances in a Spurs shirt. 62 passes, 91% but it was the sublime quality of what he was doing, he may not have got an assist tonight, but his passing was so incisive, continually playing the key pass the shredded Barca’s midfield and defence. There was the full repertoire, the midfield splitters, the full back feeders, the little dinks in tight spaces. The ball that starts the sequence for our goal was superb. This has been an slow season for the quiet maestro, blighted by fatigue and an injury, but tonight he was sublime.

Honourable mentions for Alli, and Kane. Though many things didn’t quite come off for Alli, he was constantly involved, constantly a threat, constantly probing, but again, in that second half worked for the team too, showed maturity, held the ball and got his head up.

Kane, Son, Moura and Rose all put in noteworthy cameos, all wasted glorious chances, but all were lively, dynamic and gave us an energy. And it was great to see Kane unselfishly set up first the goal, then a wonderfully clever chance for Rose.

Poch deserves huge credit for this one. The line up he picked was aggressive in the footballing sense, and his changes – apart from Llorente – personnel and tactical - were great too, especially the tactical adjustments throughout that helped us gain more and more control.

Loved the 433 from the hour mark, with dynamic front line and pure footballing midfield. Winks the metronomic glue, Alli and Eriksen constantly probing. This is the way forward.

I know the score will say this game was only a draw, but this was more than draw. This was a footballing victory. This was us going to Barcelona, showing ambition, character and panache. And we got our just deserts.

Individual

Lloris – Not loads to do to be honest.

KWP – Had a mare of a start, got caught on the ball and then got booked, but to his credit, he didn’t shrink or hide, recovered and was decent enough the rest of the game, tried to get forward and put in one great tackle second half. He’ll learn from this.

Alderweireld – Couple of iffy moments but generally good.

Vertonghen – Good game

Rose – This was vintage Rose. There were a couple of dodgy defensive moments, and as ever, his composure in the final third was wanting, but the energy was great.

Sissoko – Some decent work off the ball but also some lazy closing down, a couple of great tackles/blocks, a great cross and one less so. No coincidence that we looked better when he was moved out of midfield, but credit to him for sticking to his task at RB well enough.

Winks – Quietly very good tonight. Was the pivotal CM that held a very good team performance together, made more passes than anyone and moved the ball quickly and efficiently. Made a couple of mistakes, but recovered them tenaciously. He was pivotal in our control of this game, continually showing, getting, giving and going again. Nothing extravagant or spectacular, just quietly efficient. If not for Eriksen would have been my MOTM.

Eriksen – An absolutely outstanding performance, clever, dynamic, ubiquitous; seemed to be popping up everywhere, deep areas, wide areas, forward areas. A world class performance. He was a 4, an 8 and a 10 all in the same game. MOTM

Alli – Not everything worked, some did, but worked hard constantly, and adapted to different remits at different phases of the game, was always involved and brings a pitch presence.

Son – Lively as ever, and did brilliantly to power his way onto a first half chance and was unlucky with the finish, it was a good save.

Kane – Very good tonight, worked his nuts off, set up the winner and a glorious chance for Rose. Led the line, was robust but also showed brains and was unselfish.

Lamela – Brought even more craft to the party, and played his part in the goal, though did also waste a couple of situations with poor decisions.

Moura – Missed an absolute sitter with a poorly timed header, but made amends with his drive into the six yard box and finish for the goal.

Last edited:
I think the majority played their part (I say majority as I don't think Lloris could have done anything for the goal or actually had anything else to do).

KWP made a bad error but also more than made up for it with the block on Coutinhos shot, especially as Inter were level with PSV at the time and going 2-0 down would have ended our night. Toby and Vertonghen dealt with everything pretty well too, can't think of a single error either made.

Sissoko was solid and Winks grew into the game. Winks was much better in the second half, I thought he was abysmal in the first. Pochettino must have put in one hell of a team talk because our overall second half performance was pretty exceptional. Dele had a quieter night but he was trying, just nothing quite came off for him. Kane another one who had a quiet night but came up with the goods when he needed to, excellent assist.

Pretty much leaves me with Eriksen and Rose. Our two best players tonight by a country mile. I would probably give MOTM to Rose overall though. Eriksen in the second half was excellent but I thought Rose was brilliant for the whole 90 minutes.

Hats off to the subs too. I thought Lamela showed the exact fight we needed when he came on and it always seems to raise everyones game and Lucas got what felt like to us all the winning goal to put us through. Don't really remember Llorente touching it but I suppose it gave them something else to think about.

All going to sleep tonight as heroes. Enjoy it.

Eriksen MOTM, by a country mile. His movement with and without the ball, his vision, his passing, everything was on point in a tough and crucial game in which we needed him the most. His first touch and pass to Lamela in the build-up to the 1-1 was beautiful to watch, 9.25/10 today.

Last edited:
Sissoko – Some decent work off the ball but also some lazy closing down, a couple of great tackles/blocks, a great cross and one less so. No coincidence that we looked better when he was moved out of midfield, but credit to him for sticking to his task at RB well enough.

giphy.gif

Whilst I thought Eriksen was our best player, I'm going with Sissoko as MoM ... he supported KWP and Winks with his usual aggressive midfield display, then adjusted to play right back when called upon ... it was telling that despite having the 'big guns' on for the last thirty Barca didn't manage a single shot on target in that second half ...

That's quality defending against a top side ... and Sissoko was a key part both in Midfield and then at FB...

That said all 14 players did their bit ... and what a great team goal to cap a great night ....

Overall a beautiful night . Full of commitment , fluidity and swashbuckling football from Spurs the better team.
All were heroes if for only one day .
Toby and Verts solid , steadfast , 9
KWP played well after major mistake but has to reflect in rating 6.
Rose , just keep playing him when possible as his dynamism creates
space for the front three 9.
Sissoko bulldozing very effectively 8.
Winks l felt was ok but played safe with to many safe sideway passing. I wish he would gamble and go for killer passes 7.
Eriksen superb 9.
Ali , Kane , Son lots of good link play but finishing let them down 8.
Lucas bloody brilliant for time on pitch 9.5.
Lamela dogged , flowing 8
Hugo not a lot to do but did his job 7.
I had a treat dinner last night Sutton Hoo Chicken with pine nuts , raisins, brandy, a Catalan dish with a Moorish influence washed down with vintage cava , Serrano ham,
capers before,what a bloody fantastic night. The fizz may have slightly exaggerated my ratings but why not.
God bless.

Last edited:
Fucking hell that was hard. no rose tinted glasses so to be frank we we're terrible in the first half much better in the second but still a very chaotic game, though we should have been 3 up by our first goal already.

Hugo - 6 put a decent shift

Rose - 6.5 hard game for a left back, can't really go forward as much as he likes and some tough defending to do. he was much more mobile than Davies would, shame he could bury that chance

Jan - 6

Toby - 6

KWP - 5.5, besides that blooper it was a bit too much for him at his age and stage of development. I would still like to see him get a shot at first team

Winks - 5.5 not his best match, he really struggles when we don't dominate the midfield have 60%+ possession and can pass the ball around

Sissoko - 7.5 MOTM what a performance, I thought most of his great matches recently were simply decent by cardinal standards by fuck me he was brilliant. dominated midfield and defence with some great tackles. he was a true enforcer, later on he was also a great RB. take a bow

Dele - 6 tried to get involved a lot, he ran 13km and put a lot of pressure, that goes unnoticed with the pundits but is crucial for us

Eriksen - 6.5 returning to top form

Son - 6 not his best. Had too many spoiled opportunities

Kane - 6.5, playing deeper decrease his threat on goal (though is only clear shot was hampered by some nudge from the barca defender), but he's showing his variety with passing (someone please create a gif of that pass to Rose). But he's dragging defenders and creates room for Dele, Moura, and such to get runs in the box where he sets them up.
Poch needs to decide if he wants Kane in the deeper role or return him to the front. he's brilliant at both

Lamela - 6.5 went in and fucked shit up. build up the goal
Moura - always a threat on goal
llorente - to be honest didn't notice he was there

Last edited:
You sure you were watching the same game as me?
Most likely, we just evaluate the performances through different criteria. This isn't exact science, there really isn't a number that is exactly the value of a player's performance in a match.

I think Winks excels when we have a pressuring passing play, he couldn't do that yesterday and most of our attacks didn't start through his usual dynamo moves from our own half. I also try to evaluate players with disregards to the final outcome as it clouds my judgement with hindsight bias.
If 6 is the equivalent of decent performance I think Winks was slightly below it. That's how I perceived it, shoot me.

Ah, people giving Sissoko motm after that Eriksen performance is like giving Barry -the fucking Pony riding twat - the school academic award for CDT when someone else smashed him by no less than 20% in the exams. Fucking outrage. Just because the little shit "did really well" by his standards. Cunt.

Ok, that might be a personal story from 28 years ago, but you get my point.

I'm totally over it btw.

Fuck you Barry.

Near perfect 10/10 from Poch for me.
Got the lineup right and made great tactical adjustments throughout the game.
The subs and their timing were also spot on. Bravo.

Ah, people giving Sissoko motm after that Eriksen performance is like giving Barry -the fucking Pony riding twat - the school academic award for CDT when someone else smashed him by no less than 20% in the exams. Fucking outrage. Just because the little shit "did really well" by his standards. Cunt.

Ok, that might be a personal story from 28 years ago, but you get my point.

I'm totally over it btw.

Fuck you Barry.
To be fair , Eriksen, Rose and Sissoko were the best 3 players on the night.

Really hoping Rose gets back to his best. We've lacked quality from leftback since when Rose used to be regularly good. Not that Davies is horrible or anything.

To be fair , Eriksen, Rose and Sissoko were the best 3 players on the night.

I don't disagree, but Eriksen at his best is different gravy. Let's not forget that Sissoko needlessly mis-controlled the ball giving Barca possession at the end, and arguably put too much on the ball to KWP that resulted in the Barca goal. Aside from that, he had a really, really good game.

All heroes for me and a master class from Poch especially in the second half

We ran them ragged

Still buzzing

I am genuinely surprised that hardly anyone has picked up on how good Winks was last night. For a kid with his relative inexperience still, and his fledgling career has hardly been smooth, to go away to the Camp Nou, and see more of the ball than Barca's midfielders, and anchor what was a very progressive but risky midfield together, making 71 passes at 92%, continually showing and recycling the ball, making sure we dominated that midfield and ergo the game, defensively covering the forward runs of Eriksen, Sissoko and then Alli all night.

If you look past the odd eye catching (but often ultimately wasteful) moments of that players like Alli, Son, Rose and Sissoko produced and analyse who was consistently, quietly just going about the relentless business of keeping us in control of that game, you'll find Wink's performance was the quietly beating heart of that.

I know we scored not long after he went off, but we played some great football and should have had two or three before that, and we limited them to as little as I've seen them have at home.

I remember everyone rightly waxing about Arthur's performance a few weeks back. Well, Wink's performance was every bit as good last night.

I've always had some reservations about Winks, still have, criticised him at the weekend, but he was fucking good last night.

Last edited:
Fucking hell that was hard. no rose tinted glasses so to be frank we we're terrible in the first half much better in the second but still a very chaotic game, though we should have been 3 up by our first goal already.

Hugo - 6 put a decent shift

Rose - 6.5 hard game for a left back, can't really go forward as much as he likes and some tough defending to do. he was much more mobile than Davies would, shame he could bury that chance

Jan - 6

Toby - 6

KWP - 5.5, besides that blooper it was a bit too much for him at his age and stage of development. I would still like to see him get a shot at first team

Winks - 5.5 not his best match, he really struggles when we don't dominate the midfield have 60%+ possession and can pass the ball around

Sissoko - 7.5 MOTM what a performance, I thought most of his great matches recently were simply decent by cardinal standards by fuck me he was brilliant. dominated midfield and defence with some great tackles. he was a true enforcer, later on he was also a great RB. take a bow

Dele - 6 tried to get involved a lot, he ran 13km and put a lot of pressure, that goes unnoticed with the pundits but is crucial for us

Eriksen - 6.5 returning to top form

Son - 6 not his best. Had too many spoiled opportunities

Kane - 6.5, playing deeper decrease his threat on goal (though is only clear shot was hampered by some nudge from the barca defender), but he's showing his variety with passing (someone please create a gif of that pass to Rose). But he's dragging defenders and creates room for Dele, Moura, and such to get runs in the box where he sets them up.
Poch needs to decide if he wants Kane in the deeper role or return him to the front. he's brilliant at both

Lamela - 6.5 went in and fucked shit up. build up the goal
Moura - always a threat on goal
llorente - to be honest didn't notice he was there

Think that if you are going to mark KWP down for his 'blooper' (and not acknowledge a fantastic block to prevent Coutinho from an open goal), you need to comment on Sissoko's header to KWP which in turn led to the Barcelon goal. With a speedster like Dembele coming up behind Sissoko, he needed to get rid of the ball but he underhit the header a bit (so its not a hospital pass but certainly not good) to KWP who couldn't deal with it (and many other more experienced players would have had problems in dealing with it given the speeding Dembele coming at him) and that led to the goal.

So a good performance from Sissoko but not flawless.

I'd give it to Rose (despite his miss), at least in part for his return to the Rose of old 'even just for one night' but Eriksen was fantastic last night in everything he did even if noting quite came off in terms of assists and goals ...once again brilliant and maybe I'm guilty for taking that for granted.

Erikson's cutting Barcelona open with his passing last night, i don't think i've honestly seen a spurs game like that before.

Yes and I couldn’t help thinking what a good advertisement he made for himself as his contract runs down

Barca has to impressed with his incisive passing
Most skilful player on the park

Sort his contract out Levy ffs

Back
Top Bottom