Bad luck, bad management or bad juju?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

It's surely lots of reasons.

We have been incredibly unlucky which happens. As with any set of data you don't use one set but a series. For example if we have a summer in the UK as hot as last year, then we are in sh!t street in terms of climate change.

So I think there is definitely a small link between lack of transfers and maybe injuries to players. Our squad is not the size of City's so can absorb less. United have had quite a few and they like us had numerous players at the world cup and only added Fred.

We have also played the joint most games I think or just behind Chelsea.

Another point is injuries to the same players. That suggests a lack of being ready on their return or maybe rushing back or their bodies compensating leading to other injuries.

As for our many semi-final losses, lets not conflate the 2 things.

Last night we lost with a side that would never have been on the same pitch if our full squad was available.

So the unbelievable number of semi-final losses continue (must be a record surely?) but even posters like me would be unfair to criticise Pochettino too much here but we need to cross the line the next chance we get.

Seems to me semi final time is groundhog day, we always seem to have loads of injuries and general fatigue by this time of the season, Son at LWB anyone ?

Is anyone aware of the training methods having changed? We have very fine training facilities and sports scientists, dieticians and physios coming out of our ears!

It's certainly not luck.

In my view it's down (in large part) to flogging players to death by playing them in every game, which results from not having a suitably deep squad.

Playing game after game will have a cumulative effect resulting in a miniscule slowdown in reaction and response times. Being a fraction of a second late into a tackle can result (at best) in a yellow card. At worst, an injury.

Additionally (and this is purely down to the manager), not subbing players when the game is won, for their own protection. It didn't look good having Kane run around for the last twenty minutes when the game was over versus Everton. Bringing him on against Tranmere defied belief.

A lot of this stems from last summer!

Last edited:
Have we now had more injuries than we've lost Semi-Finals...? or is it the other way around!
Either way, it seems there's little point progressing in the FA Cup now, as it is well publicised that we'll fail in the Semis...
Likewise, not much point going on in the League, as we're officially 'bottlers'...
Honestly dunno why they even bother...

Let's pack up football now shall we... see you again (at Wembley probably) in August!!

(I'm not sure what my actual point us btw!)

If you look at the minutes played by our players compared to last season, and indeed compared to any of our rivals this season it's no different at all. Kane's played the most 1,887 there are 51 EPL players with more minutes than him ....

the big difference is the number of minutes played in the summer by our players compared to most others. Is that a reason? who knows, but of the 12 who went to Russia 10 have been injured this season ...

Last edited:
. It didn't look good having Kane run around for the last twenty minutes when the game was over versus Everton. Bringing him on against Tranmere defied belief.

A lot of stems from last summer!

And yet Kane's injury has nothing to do with being overplayed and everything to do with him being clattered by an opponent.

Ok, this took a while, but since Poch took over we've had 286 separate injuries
In the last ten years we've had 676 separate injuries, so actually he's pretty much on track
(basically he's there were 104 more injuries over 6 years, than Poch has amassed in 4)

No idea what types of injuries etc relate to what methods, you can read it yourselves

Tottenham Hotspur Injuries

And yet Kane's injury has nothing to do with being overplayed and everything to do with him being clattered by an opponent.

We'll never know. What if he'd gone in a fraction earlier against that donkey Jones?

Surely you're not advocating that he plays every game? Who could argue against him being subbed (early) when the game is won? Dele, Eriksen too.

Or is it down to voodoo?

Are you friends with Rio Ferdinand lol.

The two are not remotely the same. Owning a club is not like owning a normal business. Lewis is equally the best thing and worst thing to happen to Spurs. Yes we have improved immensely but we are still Spursy. Only way we will lose that is to spend and be brave. I’d rather have 5 years of complete madness and over spending to win the league like Blackburn did than another 20 years of a maybe club.
And where are Blackburn now?

We have sod all depth to the squad.
If we had a replacement for Kane or Alli we would have gone through last night. No shots on target in the first half was shocking.

I'm afraid that Poch and Levy have to shoulder the blame, what did they expect to happen not buying any players after most of our team had been in the world cup? Seems like they were hoping for an injury free season and nobody getting tired..

We have sod all depth to the squad.
If we had a replacement for Kane or Alli we would have gone through last night. No shots on target in the first half was shocking.

I'm afraid that Poch and Levy have to shoulder the blame, what did they expect to happen not buying any players after most of our team had been in the world cup? Seems like they were hoping for an injury free season and nobody getting tired..
We did have replacements for Kane and Alli last night. Otherwise we would have had to play 9 players! Silly to state “we would have won if.....” as it would completely depend on who those players were. We had a strong side in last years FA cup semi but still managed to lose somehow.

Are you friends with Rio Ferdinand lol.

The two are not remotely the same. Owning a club is not like owning a normal business. Lewis is equally the best thing and worst thing to happen to Spurs. Yes we have improved immensely but we are still Spursy. Only way we will lose that is to spend and be brave. I’d rather have 5 years of complete madness and over spending to win the league like Blackburn did than another 20 years of a maybe club.

What a shit post... Hope you never get your wish.

You believe they were good enough?
They were good enough to take us to penalties. At that point it’s anyone’s game. Like I said, we had Kane and Alli at our disposal in last years semi, it still didn’t win us the game. Imaginary signings that we could have made last summer wouldn’t have somehow guaranteed a win last night.

Back
Top Bottom