AVB’s Identity Crisis

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The Fighting Cock

The Fighting Cock
“Boring, boring Tottenham Hotspur” has been the overall assessment from all corners regarding Spurs’ start to the season, and in fairness it’s hard to argue against this. While Spurs have been amongst the league leaders in terms of possession, the goal return for this dominance has been almost non-existent. The only teams to post worse scoring records than Spurs currently dwell in the relegation zone. This worrying fact has led to much debate as to what the problems are with the […]

Continue reading...

line21-230x300.jpg

I couldn't agree more with this line-up... The irony that it is only a few players away from who played on Sunday gives me a weird sense of hope, but the formation (and out-verting the wingers... is that a thing?) and pushing Paulinho or Holtby further up the pitch seems to be the crucial factor.

I know none of us are Professional football managers (FM doesn't count!) but surely AVB can see the same glaringly obvious things that we can...?
I just hope he's astute and canny enough to do summit about it (which, BTW, I think he is!)

Townsend has played for us on the left this season already.........all he did was cut inside on his right foot and not even have the threat of hitting a shot.

He is imo a right winger, he's just suffering from a mix of over confidence and never having played against teams that setup with 10 men behind the ball and the mindset that a 1-0 defeat is a decent result.

As nice as it is to have Townsend in the squad, he needs to be rotated with Lamela in the PL. If you have teams coming to the Lane not knowing which to expect they might not set up to deal with just one of them. I have a feeling because of his ball control, double-marking Lamela will be far less successful than it has been with Andros.

What I'd like to see for City. Balls of steel away performance.

Lloris
Walker Daws Chiriches Vertonghen
Sandro Paulinho
Lamela Eriksen Lennon
Soldado

Lennon and Lamela can switch if need be and provide natural width down either flank, or stay where they are and cut in. No Europa League game midweek will hopefully help us. Lennon's addition over Townsend will also help on the other side of the ball.

Lamela will be in the states with Argentina, doubt AVB will consider starting him away to city after a transatlantic trip.

“Boring, boring Tottenham Hotspur” has been the overall assessment from all corners regarding Spurs’ start to the season, and in fairness it’s hard to argue against this. While Spurs have been amongst the league leaders in terms of possession, the goal return for this dominance has been almost non-existent. The only teams to post worse scoring records than Spurs currently dwell in the relegation zone. This worrying fact has led to much debate as to what the problems are with the […]

Continue reading...
Some good points/observations made. Guessing you were playing devils advocate when contradicting yourself. It seems I,m in the minority, as I like what AVB is trying, emphasis trying, to do. Intricate, possession football! An as you say and we all know or at least should, this is a team in transition! An had it transpired half of the number of chances created on Sunday had gone 3-6 inch's either side of Krul's glove or boot, then maybe, we would not be having this debate?

All I would like to see at home is Eriksen and Holtby together. Eriksen playing more advaced, off the shoulder almost of Soldado, with Holtby Central and deeper! Either Lamala (would like to see him get a run of games) or Townsend roaming' The pair of Sandro, and one other Paulie, Dembele or Capoue?(depending on the opposition) the insurance. Winning ball, Breaking up play! And a back 4 of Walker, Vert, Kaboul, Rose. Both Walker and Rose playing the wing-back role to the max! That or offer City 18+ Mill for Dzeko come Jan and have him troubling any centre pairing creating space and havoc for Bobbie to exploit! All whilst netting a dozen plus himself until the end of the season!!

COYS!!

Does that mean Citeh will not play Aguero and Zabaleta then? Paulinho is also with Brazil in the States (Miami and NY I think).

Shit good point, never thought of that. But unfortunately for us, their bench is pretty strong with the likes of Jovetic and whowhat, I don't think we're going to start Paulinho anyway; Sandro and Dembele in the middle two I reckon.

Kompany is still out, i want us to come out the traps early in this one, really give it to them...................

............So its gonna be 0-0 with 3 shots on goal

Against City...............

5-3-1-1

Walker, Chiriches, Daws, Kaboul, Vert
Sandro, Paulie, Lamala (Townsend last 20-25 perhaps!)

Eriksen
Soldado
The key to this, Walker, plays the wing-back role to the max. Lamala roaming and Eriksen much higher than normal where he can play a quicker more incisive ball for Bobbie!

COYS!!

Does that mean Citeh will not play Aguero and Zabaleta then? Paulinho is also with Brazil in the States (Miami and NY I think).

City will play aguero and Zaba, who may even play more minutes for ARG than lamela this week, i just think though it will be another excuse for AVB not to start him.

I don't think Townsend should be dropped, just use him an Lamela out wide. They're both more than capable of switching wings during the match so I don't really think it matters where they start. Plus hopefully having two wingers will mean Townsend isn't permanently doubled up on and he can really run riot again, with Lamela tearing it up on the other side.

Waiting for our attack to click feels like I've been trying to rub one off for 3 months but it just won't happen... I'm sure it will be worth it though, in the mean time though... :levywtf:

Back
Top Bottom