Audere est Facere- from a Latin student.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Our motto (audere est facere) has always meant "to dare is to" for as long as I've been supporting Tottenham (30+ years) as far as my understanding is. Latin was compulsory for 3 years minimum at the school I attended :avbfacepalm:

@ tmacspurs tmacspurs Completely out the blue & very old but quick question - despite how naive it may sound - in Latin, do they use full stops for sentence breaks, as we do with roman numerals? Thanks
In general, the Romans and mediaeval writers didn't use punctuation at all, or spaces between words, which makes reading many of the texts from the era an absolute pain, above and beyond it being in Latin already.
I mean, look at this, it's ridiculous:
461px-Vergilius_Augusteus%2C_Georgica_141.jpg

They did sometimes use an interpunct (·) to separate·words·like·this, but this pretty much died out by later periods.

In the modern era, you tend to write Latin using the punctuation system of your own language, all in lower case except for proper nouns, e.g. servus Bregans ab horto tractus est.

In general, the Romans and mediaeval writers didn't use punctuation at all, or spaces between words, which makes reading many of the texts from the era an absolute pain, above and beyond it being in Latin already.
I mean, look at this, it's ridiculous:.

That's nothing more than MEDIEVAL UPPER CASE RANT!!
WE LOST V-I ...BLOODY V-I TO THOSE CUNTUM!
IF THEY AUDERE PUT IN ANOTHER SHITE PERFORMANCE LIKE THAT THIS SEASON, I'M THROWING THEM TO THE LIONS!
AVBXMII OUT!

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. In at magna mattis risus scelerisque tincidunt. Fusce condimentum lacus at nisl suscipit, a pretium quam tristique. Nunc id blandit elit. Curabitur malesuada mauris magna, ac porttitor lacus tristique eu. Vivamus vel arcu placerat, posuere dui in, pharetra lacus. Sed ultrices diam eu cursus commodo. Etiam tincidunt auctor diam, eget semper nisi tincidunt eget.

I mean, look at this, it's ridiculous:

They did sometimes use an interpunct (·) to separate·words·like·this, but this pretty much died out by later periods.

In the modern era, you tend to write Latin using the punctuation system of your own language, all in lower case except for proper nouns, e.g. servus Bregans ab horto tractus est.
Thats like old school DavSpurs level ranting.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. In at magna mattis risus scelerisque tincidunt. Fusce condimentum lacus at nisl suscipit, a pretium quam tristique. Nunc id blandit elit. Curabitur malesuada mauris magna, ac porttitor lacus tristique eu. Vivamus vel arcu placerat, posuere dui in, pharetra lacus. Sed ultrices diam eu cursus commodo. Etiam tincidunt auctor diam, eget semper nisi tincidunt eget.

Did you know that's not a real latin passage? Some words are made up, so that it looks more like normal text.

Knowledge is power.

:levystare:

DID NOT READ, NOR UNDERSTAND. LOL!

When I was about 12 (when Latin was commonly spoken*), I asked my teacher, who was a nun, what it meant, and she told me it literally meant 'to dare is to do', ie nothing ventured, nothing gained. So that's that - if Sister Mary Agnelus says that's what it means, that's what it means!
*thought I'd put that in to save you witty chaps the trouble

Maybe instead of Yid Army we should start using Iudaeus Exercitus - see how the authorities deal with that?!

Ok, I've just tried shouting it out in a football terrace style... does sound a bit weird and you get funny looks.

Back
Top Bottom