Audere est Facere- from a Latin student.

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I hate to discredit Zoc and his "improved" translation of our club motto, but as a Latin student of 6 years, I had to make this right after hearing about it briefly on the podcast.

Zoc's translation of "Daring is Achieving" is grammatically incorrect. This translation would require the adjectives "audax, audacis" and some from of the Latin verb "perficio" meaning to achieve.
"To Dare" is an infinitive in Latin, formed from the 2nd principle part of the verb "audeo", meaning dare. Also on that note, "facere" is the infinitive of "facio", meaning to make or do. "est" is simply a form of the verb "to be", so therefore To Dare is to Do is the most accurate Latin translation.

I feel like a latin nerd now, but whatever. Reply with any questions or concerns you have with this useless language that I've spent 6 years of my life studying.
Romanus et Domus?

All I wanna know @ tmacspurs tmacspurs , is does the pronunciation of FACERE sound in any way like FORCE, so that it can be used in the following way;
"MAY THE FACERE BE WITH YOU...."
or "THE FACERE IS STRONG IN THIS ONE..."

...or is it not a soft 's' sounding 'C'??? the eternal conundrum; Fasere or Fachere?

Mind you, how fucking well educated would we all sound if we sang;
TO DARE IS TO DO.... TO DARE IS TO DO-OOOO
AUDERE-EST-FACERE... TO DARE IS TO DOOOO
!

I though that only Sith deal in absolutes?

Damn you Lucas!!!!

83661074.gif

All I wanna know @ tmacspurs tmacspurs , is does the pronunciation of FACERE sound in any way like FORCE, so that it can be used in the following way;
"MAY THE FACERE BE WITH YOU...."
or "THE FACERE IS STRONG IN THIS ONE..."

...or is it not a soft 's' sounding 'C'??? the eternal conundrum; Fasere or Fachere?

Mind you, how fucking well educated would we all sound if we sang;
Actually, nobody knows for sure how Latin was pronounced by the Romans, as there are no recordings and they didn't have a phonetic guide.

That's why every country where it is taught pronounces it differently and it's probable that each part of the Roman Empire pronounced it differently.

When I was at uni in France, they pronounced Latin as if it were French, so our motto would be pronounced something like 'oh-dair ay fass-air', but we pronounce every syllable as it is written, so something like 'or-derray est fack-erray'

However, it could be assumed that Latin was an early forerunner of Italian, so might be pronounced similarly to Italian, so the 'c' in 'facere' would be pronounced 'ch', as in Francesca, so something like 'fachairray'.

I hate to discredit Zoc and his "improved" translation of our club motto, but as a Latin student of 6 years, I had to make this right after hearing about it briefly on the podcast.

Zoc's translation of "Daring is Achieving" is grammatically incorrect. This translation would require the adjectives "audax, audacis" and some from of the Latin verb "perficio" meaning to achieve.
"To Dare" is an infinitive in Latin, formed from the 2nd principle part of the verb "audeo", meaning dare. Also on that note, "facere" is the infinitive of "facio", meaning to make or do. "est" is simply a form of the verb "to be", so therefore To Dare is to Do is the most accurate Latin translation.

I feel like a latin nerd now, but whatever. Reply with any questions or concerns you have with this useless language that I've spent 6 years of my life studying.

Have you ever touched a ladygarden? :troll::vert:

Back
Top Bottom