Atmosphere (again)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

33b0psn.jpg

If this is the state of our Police Force, then we're ALL fucked!!

sorry it had taken me half an hour to go through 1-9 and then number 10 was so long. I disagree that only champions should be in champions league and Financial fair play is a bit of a misnomer as it doesn't really help most teams but inversely the top ones.
In relation to tickets i was just confused why you had one percent of wage bill not other (more relevant) financial aspects. But yes I understand you meant just cheaper tickets was just being pedantic.
On the hooligan/banning order aspect. I agree that intimidating atmospheres can be good. But i feel the changes you ask for will not change atmosphere. Look perhaps banning orders are a slight restriction but they have done some good in my opinion. Can you really complain being arrested for singing a horrible song? Are you really standing up for freedom of expression or your team? On atmosphere, which we should stick to as things can get quite complicated, I cannot see this improving the atmosphere. In pubs and around the ground the atmosphere is great and far superior than inside. What really is needed is unreserved standing areas (which you say).
Essentially just what helps atmospheres not necessarily the right or wrongs of laws etc as this would take an essay length to disseminate.

Fair play mate, we will probably just have to agree to disagree. I think Campbell had it coming to him, though I disagree with the homophobia of the song. I don't think it's fair that loyal fans got banned for singing that song. I'd rather have a ground which is intimidating and maybe slightly more dangerous (for some games) and in which some people may take offence to songs, gestures etc...than one which is loud but more sanitised. But of course it's up to the individual and not everyone will agree with me.

The 'intimidation' argument is interesting, as surely, except for a handful of clubs where fans actually would consider running ONTO the pitch and doing a player actual physical harm, then the idea of an 'intimidating atmosphere' is purely suggestive, and more to do with creating enough noise to put a player off mentally... not actually FEAR for his own personal safety!
The sanitisation of football grounds in recent years has done my head in... NO ONE is saying that running onto the pitch to confront an opposing footballer is a good idea, neither is screaming ACTUAL racist/homophobic abuse (and I don't mean the nonsense that WE were accused of by West Ham fans)
...but from the 'relative anonymity' of your seat, or even better still standing area(!!) you could, and should be allowed to do anything within your power to put off the opposition. If that means banners of support, or loud, non-stop singing (whilst standing) then surely there is no harm in that.

It's when the authorities decide to take the easy route and lump EVERYTHING together by assuming that anyone who brings a banner in, or sings YID has a secret desire to run on the pitch and hit a player (except THIS GUY)
drogba20_468x402.jpg

...and even he was ridiculed for it!

Of COURSE we don't want to do stoopid stuff like that, but what we DO want to do, is create a loud, rowdy (if you will) SUPPORTIVE noise, that shows OUR players we're on their side, and tells the opposition that they have 36,011 opponents to play against!
Seriously, where's the harm in that?

Yes you can complain about being arrested for singing that song.

I am not saying what is right or wrong. I was just saying what I feel relates to atmosphere. I went on a slight tangent with that question. Which I shouldn't because it is more complicated than just talking about atmosphere. If it helps I don't think people should be arrested saying nearly anything; freedom of speech and all that.
What i meant was that try to see that behaviour outside a football context. Standing in front of a judge and saying it was nothing. Imagine verbally abusing someone on the street in such a way. Someone who did not know you. We are all human. Do you really think shouting that someone's dad washes elephants and their mother being a whore is just a bit of banter. As you know outside of a football context this sort of behaviour is unacceptable. The police already let a lot slide. But I don't know what song you are referring to.
Maybe they should get rid of banning orders from a moral standpoint but all I am saying is I don't think it will help atmosphere.

Do you really think shouting that someone's dad washes elephants and their mother being a whore is just a bit of banter. As you know outside of a football context this sort of behaviour is unacceptable. The police already let a lot slide. But I don't know what song you are referring to.
Maybe they should get rid of banning orders from a moral standpoint but all I am saying is I don't think it will help atmosphere.
haha that song was brilliant, especially at the Madrid game at home when he'd been crying about it to the police.

"First and foremost, the players have got to give the fans something to shout about. That has to come first and for a long time the fans haven't had anything to shout about."
Shearer

Interesting to hear that.....some feel that the fans should lift the players, regardless of how cack they are playing, but Im with Alan on this one.

Decent football and effort gets people going.

"First and foremost, the players have got to give the fans something to shout about. That has to come first and for a long time the fans haven't had anything to shout about."
Shearer

Interesting to hear that.....some feel that the fans should lift the players, regardless of how cack they are playing, but Im with Alan on this one.

Decent football and effort gets people going.
Disagree...sort of gives credence to the saying ''you only sing when you're winning''. I understand you're talking about effort not necessarily results but I'm not talking about that saying literally.

I don't think fans should be quiet if the team is having a shocker. The opposite should happen in fact IMO.

Disagree...sort of gives credence to the saying ''you only sing when you're winning''. I understand you're talking about effort not necessarily results but I'm not talking about that saying literally.

I don't think fans should be quiet if the team is having a shocker. The opposite should happen in fact IMO.
I think there should always be noise at a football game. If the team is playing badly but trying, then keep supporting them. If they're really not trying, just sing songs about other things, which don't relate to an attempt to get the players going (e.g. sing songs about us the fans, about hating Woolwich etc). If their efforts are completely pathetic, then sing songs criticising them, or the manager, or the chairman. But sing something!

Back
Top Bottom