Assuming we play 4-2-3-1 who are the 3?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who are the 3? Select first choice XI only and where you want them starting.

• Lamela - LW

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Lamela - CAM

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • Lamela - RW

Votes: 76 73.1%
  • Eriksen - LW

Votes: 8 7.7%
  • Eriksen - CAM

Votes: 85 81.7%
  • Eriksen - RW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Chadli - LW

Votes: 37 35.6%
  • Chadli - CAM

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Chadli - RW

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Lennon - LW

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • Lennon - CAM

• Lennon - RW

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Townsend - LW

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Townsend - CAM

• Townsend - RW

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Sigurdsson - LW

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Sigurdsson - CAM

• Sigurdsson - RW

• Holtby - LW

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Holtby - CAM

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Holtby - RW

• Total voters
I have absolutely no idea how you have come up with that...I'd be interested to know how you came up with it as I am pretty sure I, specifically, am talking about the complete opposite style of player to those two.

We need the wingers to lump it into the box so he can get on the end of crosses, as that constitutes good service apparently. What we really need is to move the ball quicker and more intricately through the middle to carve teams open and create multiple chances for all our attacking players. Walker and Rose is plenty enough to whip crosses in from wide. Alot of Tottenham fans are stuck in a 442 mentality and struggling with the fact their heroes are being phased out(Daws, Lennon, Defoe). Soldado thrives on all types of service not just repeatedly lumping it in the box from out wide. Not just directed at you but a general observation.

We need the wingers to lump it into the box so he can get on the end of crosses, as that constitutes good service apparently. What we really need is to move the ball quicker and more intricately through the middle to carve teams open and create multiple chances for all our attacking players. Walker and Rose is plenty enough to whip crosses in from wide. Alot of Tottenham fans are stuck in a 442 mentality and struggling with the fact their heroes are being phased out(Daws, Lennon, Defoe). Soldado thrives on all types of service not just repeatedly lumping it in the box from out wide. Not just directed at you but a general observation.

Fair enough, I should be a little more precise in what I say though. I see Soldado as more a poacher, albeit an explosive one but someone who feeds of cut backs, balls whipped it in to the six yard box or across the face of goal. If we narrow the pitch I really don't think he will be as effective, less so if teams sit back against us, which they are want to do.

Townsend ---- Eriksen ---- Lamela

Until Bale gets over his injury IMO. Our midfield is going to be incredible when Bale is fit. We really miss him! :D

Fair enough, I should be a little more precise in what I say though. I see Soldado as more a poacher, albeit an explosive one but someone who feeds of cut backs, balls whipped it in to the six yard box or across the face of goal. If we narrow the pitch I really don't think he will be as effective, less so if teams sit back against us, which they are want to do.

I agree to an extent, but I feel he also thrives on little one twos and fast paced one and two touch passing through the middle. When teams sit back we need to crowd the box for crosses as there's no point whipping it in if we're out numbered 5 or 6 to 1 or 2. With inverted wingers and overlapping wingbacks we'll have the best of both worlds imo. Plenty of targets for crosses or with players like Eriksen, Lamela, Paulinho, Holtby, Chadli and Soldado players capable of linking up and intricately carving teams open through the middle. It's worth noting too Chadli and Eriksen are pretty much two footed. All we need to do is be patient as with the players at AVBs disposal I can't see us failing in the long run.

The thing to remember is that we have players that can play across the front 3. Versatility gives us the option to change the point of attack at will. We become unpredictable and can put pressure on weak links in the opposition's defense.

Anyone else like the idea of Eriksen cutting in from the left and playing through balls to Lamela cutting in from the right, and Soldado making sexy runs? Cazorla destroyed us on Sunday doing just that.

Little bit sad about the lack of Azza love here, the guy tracks back wonderfully and had a cracking season last year. His pace is a huge asset and laying it back across the box on the deck to Soldado and ***SOMEONE*** running from midfield = goals. No full back likes getting dicked for pace as it inevitably opens up space and chances

I think I've almost seen enough from Siggy. I like him but you can't really justify him needing more in-game experience to get the best from him, he's not exactly a new signing now.

I'ved talked about Roma on here before but not so much Valencia. They're my favorite Spanish team and I watch them all the time, particularly in the past three three since Villa left and Soldado joined. I actually have a Valencia jersey too. So I've seen Soldado play for three years now and he is not one to win a header to score. He thrives on through ball down the middle and low crosses at the byline. His movement is so good and that's how he scores so much.

Now since we are talking about inverted wingers and true wingers, let me tell you that Lennon would be the worst player for Soldado to play with. What Lennon is good at is beating a man to the byline and getting away a cross, which is usually in the air. Now that might sound great but Lennon usually does this when the box is packed, meaning that it would require Soldado to win a header to score which probably wont happen. Furthermore, Lennon hardly ever plays through balls to the striker which is what Soldado is so good at finishing.

Now onto Lamela. I also watch Roma a lot because I am a huge Totti fan. Lamela is best at right wing. I've seen him play for two years at Roma and if he starts in the middle then he usually drifts off to the right to pick up the ball anyways. He is really not a left winger and I'm pretty sure we will never see him played there. Lamela is fantastic at taking on defenders like Lennon but he is a great dribbler and he has many tricks that allow him to slip through balls to others or get in a low cross when the defenders aren't expecting it. He'll also attract defenders toward him and allow Kyle Walker tons of space to get to the line and allow him to get low crosses in to Soldado without much pressure.

Now for the inverted winger debate. Inverted wingers will not clog up space if they are done right. You are so narrow minded if you really think that it is completely necessary to have true wingers. The fact that Lamela is such a good dribbler and passer gives him a duel threat that Lennon does not pose. The left back can either pick up a Walker run or stop Lamela from dribbling inside and shooting or slipping a pass to Soldado or Eriksen/Holtby. It will be this threat that will open up space for our full backs to get forward and provide the width. It doesn't always have to come from the mids. On the left side, Chadli showed that he can get a great cross away to Soldado in the Tblisi game. I don't understand all the Chadli hate because he has impressed me a lot. He's not flashy but he's a good player and gets the job done. He looked the most dangerous against the scum in the first 20 min vs Jenkinson and its a shame we didn't go back to him.

Chadli has been one of our best players this season - and he's the only winger who understands how to play in a 4-3-3 to this point. He's been involved in nearly every good team move we've had, and created the most clear cut scoring chances on the entire team.

And people want to bench him? It's crazy town up in here.

Chadli has been one of our best players this season - and he's the only winger who understands how to play in a 4-3-3 to this point. He's been involved in nearly every good team move we've had, and created the most clear cut scoring chances on the entire team.

And people want to bench him? It's crazy town up in here.

To be fair he leads the way for the left wing role in the poll.

OK, my turn ...

I'm gonna go for ... ummm...

Dos Santos - Jenas - Bentley
Yeah, that'll do the job ... it's terrific! :harrylol:
:troll:

Last edited:
I don't understand all the Chadli hate because he has impressed me a lot. He's not flashy but he's a good player and gets the job done. He looked the most dangerous against the scum in the first 20 min vs Jenkinson and its a shame we didn't go back to him.
Amen brother.

In the first 20 minutes it looked like if we were going to score, Chadli was going to be involved in it somehow.

Once he adapts to the tempo over here I think he'll be quality.

LW Townsend
CAM Eriksen
RW Lamela

Townsend made a great start and deserves to be in the starting 11 on merit.

We didn't break our transfer record to put Lamela on the bench.

Eriksen is class. Him behind Soldado will be quality.

Doesn't matter much, AVB likes rotation against different opposition and so do I. Finally have cover on the wings and central midfield!

Back
Top Bottom