As an American can I truly be a fan of Tottenham Hotspur

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm half-American and have lived in Spain most of my life. What a silly question. Just because we don't get to watch live very often means diddlysquat. And if you're singing with only your dogs to hear, go to a supporters bar instead. You're over 21. That's what I do when I'm visiting family in the US.
If you’re singing and only your dogs can hear then I’d say that makes you a proper fan... either that or one of the oddballs who gets beasted when they pop their fan vids onto YouTube. You know the ones:

Set scene - a 30ish man of non-discript origin is sat in his bedroom... the features that jump out are a Liverpool bedspread, posters, lampshade and unusual amount of used Kleenex laying around. He fiddles with the camera a moment and the goes in dry, acapella style:

♫I love the Liverpool, I love the Liverpool, they are the best in the woooooorld, and play the best footballings, and ALL MANCHESTER FANS HAVE EYE AIDS AND SHOULD DIE....♫

His lip wobbles, it all tails off and he begins to sob.

Fin

If you’re singing and only your dogs can hear then I’d say that makes you a proper fan... either that or one of the oddballs who gets beasted when they pop their fan vids onto YouTube. You know the ones:

Set scene - a 30ish man of non-discript origin is sat in his bedroom... the features that jump out are a Liverpool bedspread, posters, lampshade and unusual amount of used Kleenex laying around. He fiddles with the camera a moment and the goes in dry, acapella style:

♫I love the Liverpool, I love the Liverpool, they are the best in the woooooorld, and play the best footballings, and ALL MANCHESTER FANS HAVE EYE AIDS AND SHOULD DIE....♫

His lip wobbles, it all tails off and he begins to sob.

Fin

Lol! That's quite imaginative!

It all depends. If you can correct the next paragraph then you pass the test .

“ Tottenham is a great road team and its latest shut out at Tranmere and 7 goals after 40’minutes at zero zero showed its strength in defence and offence. 14 shots on frame , with no PK’s from 12 and some great plays by Son including an excellent roller ball shot was soccer at its best with Coach Pochettino fully using his roster. “

As a fellow American fan this is a bit what you would call "cringey." One thing I think all supporters should do, including foreign ones, is read up on the club's history. I'm a bit longer-tenured than most American fans ('07ish, while most have come about in the post-Bale/NBC era), but when I started following them I devoured every book I could find on Spurs. Even when I talk to knowledgeable American Spurs fans I'm usually surprised by how little they know their history outside of general knowledge about the Double and maybe Ossie and Ricky. But I guess I have a history degree so it's natural for me...

As a fellow American fan this is a bit what you would call "cringey." One thing I think all supporters should do, including foreign ones, is read up on the club's history. I'm a bit longer-tenured than most American fans ('07ish, while most have come about in the post-Bale/NBC era), but when I started following them I devoured every book I could find on Spurs. Even when I talk to knowledgeable American Spurs fans I'm usually surprised by how little they know their history outside of general knowledge about the Double and maybe Ossie and Ricky. But I guess I have a history degree so it's natural for me...

It is indeed 'cringey' - essentially the bugger is just trying too hard.
And my answer in a nutshell is that you cannot make yourself a 'lifelong supporter' - you've either supported the club since you were a boy (most of us Brits on here) or you haven't.
That said, the supporter fanbase is, and should be, a broad church - and all support when genuinely given is, and should be, welcomed.

Same to you mate. There’s some cricket to come this year. Good luck with that.
Ashes a genuine chance to be 5-0 this year.

Personally, it's probably my favourite sporting event on the calendar because of all the history and everything else attached to it, but this is the first time I'm genuinely fucking dreading it tbh.

Been a fan since '94. Seen them twice here in the states, even got to speak to Harry at a practice, and Jan threw me a scarf. I am taking the whole family over to attend a game in the N17 during holiday period in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom