Are we better off with Eriksen than Willian?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eriksen or Willian?

• Total voters
On a value for money basis it has to be Eriksen all day long. Statistically superior (I believe), more acclimated to europe, more Intl experience, 1/3 the cost.

As to who is the better player/option for the team? Only time will tell.
Eriksen could flop, Willian could be amazing, justtifying the disparity in price.
Willian could be just another decent AM at Chelsea and Eriksen could be awesome making them look even more foolish!

Would've been happier with Willian, seeing as he was the club's first choice. However, in saying that, for the 30m they wanted, he was extremely overpriced. 4m per year over 3 years for Eriksen is an absolute steal, even if he isn't quite the whole player Willian is.

Brace yourselves for the new;

article-1234201-0784D264000005DC-139_468x286.jpg

On a value for money basis it has to be Eriksen all day long. Statistically superior (I believe), more acclimated to europe, more Intl experience, 1/3 the cost.

As to who is the better player/option for the team? Only time will tell.
Eriksen could flop, Willian could be amazing, justtifying the disparity in price.
Willian could be just another decent AM at Chelsea and Eriksen could be awesome making them look even more foolish!
But Ukraine and Russia are still part of Europe :ossie:

Until we actually see them perform in the Premier League we don't actually know who will turn out to be better. What we do know is that Eriksen is a fraction of the cost, younger, with more international experience, played in the Champions League with Ajax, has a decent goal scoring and assisting record. All of which point to money well spent by Levy and Baldini, plus his salary demands won't be as high as Willian's.

I do feel there seems to be a bit of a current trend in signing Brazilian players due to their nationality and their footballing culture, however looking at the ones that have been plying their trade in Russian/Ukraine they don't seem to be regular international players due to being out of the spotlight, plus being stuck on massive contracts are expensive to buy. We got Paulinho for £17m, a regular in the Brazil side, against £30m Fernandinho who only has a handful of caps. If Willan was that amazing he'd surely be a regular for Brazil as well?

Eriksen is a regular Danish international and has bags of European and International competition experience.

Time will tell but I've been pretty verbal that I think Willian was a banana skin waiting to happen. He'll probably have me sobbing into my Bovril but I'm going to stand by it.

Eriksen because Willian is a cunt plus his agent is also a massive cunt

As far as footballing abilities well it's currently hard to say as we'll have to wait and see how they both settle and perform over the coming season. Both are coming from weaker leagues so it will be interesting to see how they settle.

From what I've seen, Willian is easily the better player now and no doubt would have done a job for us but having said that, I'm glad he didn't come to us if he has anything to do with Kia Joorabchian. That man is a parasite and we're better off having nothing to do with him.

Sure, Eriksen has potential and if he does sign, I trust AVB will get the best out of him if he is willing to work hard ... but he's also not the amazing player people are making him out to be. When the massive clubs in Europe are all looking at you one year, but haven't even sniffed in your direction a year later when you're up for grabs at 10mil, then they don't rate you as high any more. I'm not saying he'll flop ... just saying he obviously needs to be putting more work into his game then he has been for the last season.

From what I've seen, Willian is easily the better player now and no doubt would have done a job for us but having said that, I'm glad he didn't come to us if he has anything to do with Kia Joorabchian. That man is a parasite and we're better off having nothing to do with him.

Sure, Eriksen has potential and if he does sign, I trust AVB will get the best out of him if he is willing to work hard ... but he's also not the amazing player people are making him out to be. When the massive clubs in Europe are all looking at you one year, but haven't even sniffed in your direction a year later when you're up for grabs at 10mil, then they don't rate you as high any more. I'm not saying he'll flop ... just saying he obviously needs to be putting more work into his game then he has been for the last season.

Maybe young Christian had become stale at Ajax? A new challenge will be good for his development. Especially as we look like we're building some solid foundations. I don't remember many jumping at the chance to sign VDV from Real, look how he turned out for us.

Maybe young Christian had become stale at Ajax? A new challenge will be good for his development. Especially as we look like we're building some solid foundations. I don't remember many jumping at the chance to sign VDV from Real, look how he turned out for us.

Berbatov too, had hype but nobody took a punt

he turned out rather alrite

Eriksen is clearly going to be the Danish Glenn Hoddle :avblol:

I honestly think I creamed my shorts when VDV signed ... I thought Levy had pulled of one of the great transfers in Spurs history. I had some doubts over where we'd play him but not the slightest doubt he was good enough to to make an impact here at Spurs.

Eriksen is different because he's potential where VDV was a proven world class player. I'd liken Eriksen more to signing Siggy. I also think it might take a few years before we'll know if either of those two become a success. Lamela on the other hand has proven a lot more at a similar age and probably deserves to be rated as highly as he is.

That's a funny post considering he had his best season ever last season. You haven't watched him much, have you..?

That's a funny post considering he had his best season ever last season. You haven't watched him much, have you..
Yeh I watched quite a bit of Ajax last season ... and the one before as well.

I'll tell you what I've seen. He lacks physical strength, drifts in and out of games a lot (not great for a playmaker) and his passing isn't always that great. He has flashes of real brilliance where he's unplayable in one game but anonymous in the next 2-3.

So how about you? Tell me what you make of him from what you've seen.

That's a funny post considering he had his best season ever last season. You haven't watched him much, have you..?

Not claiming this is fact but the only thing everyone seems to agree on is that his year last season was by far his worst. I can't say, but anyone I have read or heard from seems to agree on that.

I voted Willian because I think he's the better player, but I certainly see the advantages to the younger, cheaper and Joorchiaban free Eriksen. Plus we haven't had a player whose name is so consistently spelt wrong since Ryan Nelson. Erikson and Chaldi could tear it up next year.
We should buy back Zakora

Not claiming this is fact but the only thing everyone seems to agree on is that his year last season was by far his worst. I can't say, but anyone I have read or heard from seems to agree on that.
I wouldn't say his worst ... more like he didn't progress that much from the season before. His stats are probably a little better ... I know he scored more goals from a similar amount of games ... but I suspect the big teams of Europe were expecting him to improve his consistency but he didn't.

I wouldn't say his worst ... more like he didn't progress that much from the season before. His stats are probably a little better ... I know he scored more goals from a similar amount of games ... but I suspect the big teams of Europe were expecting him to improve his consistency but he didn't.

What is does amount to is that he may have had an average season by his standards, although stats say differently. Meaning we have been able to get in there and get our offer of a transfer accepted. If he'd have been as amazing as couple of seasons ago I suspect we wouldn't have been in with a chance of signing him. Eriksen surely has the ability and potential. It's not as if Ajax are a midtable side.

I for one am happy to be signing decent young players from proven European sides being chased by us. We are still not able to sign the global superstars, but we are certainly pushing ourselves on. Compare the signings we've made in this one window to the likes of those made under Jol, Ramos and Redknapp.

Maybe you're right. But thats not the point. Based on what we already know, what would you say you prefer?

What I know, as well as everyone else, is very little about either of them.

If you had to push me on which one then I would have to say Willian, as he was clearly AVB's/Baldini's first choice.

Back
Top Bottom