Are we better off with Eriksen than Willian?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Eriksen or Willian?

• Total voters
What is does amount to is that he may have had an average season by his standards, although stats say differently. Meaning we have been able to get in there and get our offer of a transfer accepted. If he'd have been as amazing as couple of seasons ago I suspect we wouldn't have been in with a chance of signing him. Eriksen surely has the ability and potential. It's not as if Ajax are a midtable side.

I for one am happy to be signing decent young players from proven European sides being chased by us. We are still not able to sign the global superstars, but we are certainly pushing ourselves on. Compare the signings we've made in this one window to the likes of those made under Jol, Ramos and Redknapp.
I know what you mean @ Colonel_K Colonel_K , we've progressed heaps since BMJ's time ... even since Harry's. I'd be very happy to see Eriksen succeed here if we do sign him ... there is quality there no doubt.

It's like seeing a 14yo kid playing at a 16-17yo kids level ... you think this kid is going to be amazing. Then you see him at 15yo and he's still playing at a 16yo-17yo level and you think, wow he's quite good. Then you see him at 16yo and he's still playing at a 16-17yo level ... then you think, he's good but there are better. That's how I see Eriksen at the moment. Doesn't mean he won't become a world class player or even just a quality performer in our squad ... just saying that the player of 2 seasons ago is almost exactly the same as the player of last season and if he stays at this level then he'll have a handy career being the next Adel Taarabt of some midtable Premier League side who, on his day is brilliant but those days aren't common enough for any team challenging for the Euro spots to buy him let alone a top 4 team.

Hopefully the chance we've taken on Eriksen works out. If Eriksen flops the outlay won't be as much and we'd likely recoup our costs. He's still a hell of a lot more cheaper than Willian. If we'd have signed him for big money and then he flopped badly then it'll be astronomical Bentley levels of fail and Levy and Lewis probably won't open the cheque book again for years.
Plus with Eriksen being so young and he does develop into another VDV/Modric then Madrid will come knocking again offering us 4-6 times more than we paid!

All this poll proves is that people will give their opinion on something they can know absolutly nothing about.
What an outrageous thing to suggest, surely everyone who posts on here is a connoisseur of all things creative, skilful and wonderful in the game of association football.
Its what they would all have you believe..........

I voted Willian because I think he's the better player, but I certainly see the advantages to the younger, cheaper and Joorchiaban free Eriksen. Plus we haven't had a player whose name is so consistently spelt wrong since Ryan Nelson. Erikson and Chaldi could tear it up next year.

What about Jermain/e Defoe/Jenas???
or Rsol Cuntball.... they always used to spell that 'Campbell' ...even on his SHIRT! ...soppy twats!

So after creating this thread I was interested to come back in several days and see the result. Would be interesting to know what people's opinion would have been if we captured Willian and the question was: Would we rather Eriksen. :sandro:

I'd rather have Eriksen over Willian - younger and cheaper. Less of a risk if it doesn't work out, plus I think he will actually be good for us.

Willian always seemed to be a 'marquee' signing designed to soften the blow, would have a great start to the season and disappear as soon as the shit weather kicks in. Eriksen for the long haul. Cruyf was speaking about him choosing a club based on support for development rather than money, so he obviously sees the lad as going to only get better.

So after creating this thread I was interested to come back in several days and see the result. Would be interesting to know what people's opinion would have been if we captured Willian and the question was: Would we rather Eriksen. :sandro:

Its a hindsight thing...Willian showed he truely is a mercenary by joining Chelsea. People sympathised over the Anzi move, and said he had no choice etc, but I cant see that happening this time.

He chose Spurs, agreed terms, took a medical, then went to Chelsea, despite the chances of playing alot less football.

I always thought Willian was a bit of a gamble, we'll see how he plays at Chelsea, can't see their fans being happy if he replaces Mata. Ericksen is a bit of a gamble too, but a much less expensive one.

What an outrageous thing to suggest, surely everyone who posts on here is a connoisseur of all things creative, skilful and wonderful in the game of association football.
Its what they would all have you believe..........
No we just love the club and the game Mick!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom