Are spurs fans that different ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

@ Belgian Spur Belgian Spur

Spurs fans are fickle and a little moreso than most (except Newcastle fans. They are off the scale).

But I think I know where it comes from. I think it's because we are a very big club who are used to winning big prizes and having some of the best footballers playing for us. Before the premier league went global, Tottenham would always have a crop of England internationals in our team and compete for the best players in the league. It may be undervalued now, but winning the FA Cup 8 times was a very big deal until the 90s.

We underperform. Always have done. But that's the key: As an institution we deserve to be in the top 4. Chelsea are traditionally a smaller club than us. Man City too. We see ourselves as one of the traditional big clubs in English football (Everton, Liverpool, Man U, Woolwich, Villa, Us) and falling short of that grates.

So it's fickle because it's not realistic but it's obvious where it comes from. Newcastle on the other hand, I don't get.

OK, didn't know where to put this... but fuck it...
I just accidentally Skyped one of our own board members, and was confronted with this...
lol-fat-guy-laughing-ew-o.gif

...whoever he is, he's eating his own cum, and laughing about it!!

So... @ Carlito Brigante Carlito Brigante ?? @ sammyspurs sammyspurs ?? @ N17 N17 @ ?? ...which one of you is it???
This may be difficult to understand, but we are a group ,less than 15 but more 13,as audrie will find out to night if he fronts up:windy:

I've been (as most amongst you) an almost lifelong Spurs fan and during that lifetime i have seen loads of evolutions (mostly negative) in our beloved game. But something that struck me early 2000's is occupying my mind more and more. Are we really that fickle, are we really that much of a hatefull bunch that we always need to turn on eachother, on players, on coaches, on the board and so on. Negativity seems to be the only way we respond to the fact that we are now bigger and better then we ever were in the 90's (bar maybe 1 or 2 seasons - my memory is starting to fade). Is it just us or is it because we can smell succes (not glory) and just cant reach it.

I see the same thing at my home team, we were div 1 and relegation fodder for a long time and we stuck together, we move up the ranks and become top 5 team and everyone starts whining and arguing amongst themselves. Hating on players and coaches but not as bad as the spurs community.

Sometimes i think that we are so used to failure (and recently without a true echo of glory) that we just want things to go pear shaped.

Are you familiar with other sets of fans and their ways, are we the exception or is the rule just that people are insufferable cunts and should be forced to drink from a massive cup of poison ?

Having been sin binned for the last week for saying negative things about AVB (how funny is that) I haven't had a chance to reply to this thread, and what a good thread it is.

I believe there isn't much difference between the supporters of any club. In reality do we not get on with any supporters of other clubs before we know who they support, of course not.

I hate the word fickle, because it's so subjective. Some people believe that supporters that boo poor performances are fickle, where as I don't. As long as supporters attend the Lane regardless of performance, I believe they are not fickle.

What changes the type of support a club get's is expectation. As much as loved the football Arry gave us, the atmosphere was better before him, because we were grateful for any sort of success. You only have to look at the successful clubs and the atmosphere at these clubs is dreadful. Man Utd, Liverpool, Woolwich and Chelsea all prove my point. One thing is for certain, if you want success, be prepared for a quiet stadium.

Some people believe that supporters that boo poor performances are fickle, where as I don't. As long as supporters attend the Lane regardless of performance, I believe they are not fickle.
So, in your book, all it takes to "support" your team is to pay a ticket price?

No wonder the atmosphere there is so shit at the moment.

The atmosphere at Spurs is fucking shite an most Spurs fans I know in real life are happy to sit there in silence apart from when they're booing or dishing out some abuse to our own players. Yeah let's all boo our own team, like the fella above. Demonstrate to the world what a bunch of fucking mong cunts Spurs fans are these days.
I was reading an old football fanzine from 1994 the other day. It wasn't a Spurs fanzine but talked about how electric our atmosphere was. Nowadays, the only clubs in England with quality atmospheres are ones that are in lower divisions or ones in the prem but not expecting to win anything any time soon and not dripping in 30 million pound players.
I suppose the truth is it isn't Spurs fans, it's modern day premier league fans. Find the whole thing more and more detestable these days tbh

There should be some respite for a little while, the offie's opened at 11.
Mate, I'm sure he stocks up days in advance. Must to be up this early! Needs a few to take the edge off before he can even get to the offy! That's why he can't type in the morning. Hands to shakey for the keyboard.

Maybe we should state an intervention while his wife is away getting its puncture repaired.

Back
Top Bottom