Anthony Georgiou

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

With all due respects to the lad, one expects he will be working harder under Poch to crack first team football!
For all we know he could be working as hard as possible. But with players like Eriksen, Alli, Son, Lucas and Lamela to go through it seems a gargantuan task. I think he signed a new deal earlier this year so hopefully he can get a loan next season to get some first team football.

I had a good chat about this kid a few years ago with my barber, he's his uncle (This was just before the Newcastle away game at the end of 2015/16 season).
I had only seen him in the Next Gen game vs Barcelona but looked solid. Family seems very nice and well grounded about his chances and sounded like they where just pleased he was still in the system. Nice to see another local lad hopefully getting a shot.
This was just before the Newcastle away game at the end of 2015/16 season

Assisted the winner in the fourth minute of injury time for Ipswich in the 1st Round proper of the FA Cup,against Lincoln tonight.

From the BBC live text service...

90'+4'
Goal! Lincoln City 0, Ipswich Town 1. Alan Judge (Ipswich Town) left footed shot from outside the box to the high centre of the goal. Assisted by Anthony Georgiou.

Yes he's still officially a Spurs player on loan. Wonder if Maureen will be recalling him. :pochlol:

Anyone heard anything about this lad? His loan to Ipswich ends in "January 2020". Can't see him getting anything further from us. His current contract expires next year.

Anyone heard anything about this lad? His loan to Ipswich ends in "January 2020". Can't see him getting anything further from us. His current contract expires next year.

I thought he did well as a LB in pre-season, but only getting involved in 10 games for Ipswich would indicate he's not good enough. Being over 21 means we have to register him in order to make him available, and we don't really have any empty slots. Of course he's been with us long enough to count as a club trained (home grown) player, and we might just have one empty slot left. I don't know, I think he's toast.

I thought he did well as a LB in pre-season, but only getting involved in 10 games for Ipswich would indicate he's not good enough. Being over 21 means we have to register him in order to make him available, and we don't really have any empty slots. Of course he's been with us long enough to count as a club trained (home grown) player, and we might just have one empty slot left. I don't know, I think he's toast.

Here's a shock - Wikipedia contradicting itself. The side info panel says 10 apps, and the Ipswich loan section says 13 and links to an article on the Ipswich website. Seems his loan was ended on 28/12 and he's back at the club. I agree that I can't see a way forward for him now. No starts in the league for Ipswich. So I guess he just trains with the U23's picking up whatever wage he's on for the next 18 months then he gets released? Or alternatively gets another loan to a league 2 / non-league outfit? Is that even heard of?

He's a decent traditional left winger, but we don't play with traditional wingers, and not a good enough defender to be a LB, otherwise he might have been useful to is there.

Really don't know why Nkoudou was bought as Georgiou was probably no worse.

He's a decent traditional left winger, but we don't play with traditional wingers, and not a good enough defender to be a LB, otherwise he might have been useful to is there.

Really don't know why Nkoudou was bought as Georgiou was probably no worse.
I think Nkoudou was a better footballer but only due to his experience and age. Plus he is Spurs, the invisible 5% performance that gives the player.

Would have been far better to have stuck with Georgiou develop him and sell him for more than we paid for and lost on Nkoudo (net -£9m).

Anthony Georgiou’s loan at Town has ended and he has gone back to Tottenham.

The 22-year-old wideman arrived at Portman Road in August, with a deal in place to see him stay at the Club until January and with an option to see out the season with Blues if all parties agreed.

Georgiou made his debut in the 2-1 win over AFC Wimbledon and went on to make 13 appearances for the Club but his games in the league all came as a substitute.

Over the past two months he has only featured three times in League One and with Tottenham looking for their loan players to get regular first-team football, the Cyprus international has returned to White Hart Lane.

I think Nkoudou was a better footballer but only due to his experience and age. Plus he is Spurs, the invisible 5% performance that gives the player.

Would have been far better to have stuck with Georgiou develop him and sell him for more than we paid for and lost on Nkoudo (net -£9m).

Forget what we paid for Nkoudou but think it was £10m - £15m and think we paid not only for experience and age but for potential, of which we saw very little and realistically was Championship level at best in UK (after he struggled at Burnley on loan to get into their starting X1)

Georgiou at £zero had reasonable potential (as we saw when playing him against a Cypriot side) , but probably not Spurs level, but certainly League 1 or even Championship level had we loaned him out at the right age.

Same story really with Foyth, why buy him in at £10m when Poch could see Tanganga and Eyoma in development squad Tanganga after 3 games (plus Colchester) already looks more dependable than Foyth.

Just think its down to Poch not having a particularly good eye for players - many coaches are poor at buying players for that reason so no shame in that. But he should have understood he needs a DoF to do the things he is bad at

Forget what we paid for Nkoudou but think it was £10m - £15m and think we paid not only for experience and age but for potential, of which we saw very little and realistically was Championship level at best in UK (after he struggled at Burnley on loan to get into their starting X1)

Georgiou at £zero had reasonable potential (as we saw when playing him against a Cypriot side) , but probably not Spurs level, but certainly League 1 or even Championship level had we loaned him out at the right age.

Same story really with Foyth, why buy him in at £10m when Poch could see Tanganga and Eyoma in development squad Tanganga after 3 games (plus Colchester) already looks more dependable than Foyth.

Just think its down to Poch not having a particularly good eye for players - many coaches are poor at buying players for that reason so no shame in that. But he should have understood he needs a DoF to do the things he is bad at
I really, really like Foyth. I think he was a great buy and given the fee we paid for him it was a true no brainer IMO. I also love Tanganga and Eyoma, ironically I had seen very little of Tanganga. The deal that I don't get is why give Toby a new deal? He's the player that hasn't been performing as high as Sanchez this year, I see him as the block not Foyth.

I would be more than happy to have our CB's as Sanchez, Foyth, Eyoma and Tanganga. This is proper competition, a chance for each to push each other and forge the right partnerships for years to come. Time to get this bedded in is this season.

Last edited:
I would be more than happy to have our CB's as Sanchez, Foyth, Eyoma and Tanganga. This is proper competition, a change for each to push each other and forge the right partnerships for years to come. Time to get this bedded in is this season.

They chronically lack experience though. They won’t hold up in CL or against the top 5.

Sanchez is a good defender but he lacks the ability to distribute.

I like Foyth as well and still hope he comes good but he’s unreliable and is error prone.

Eyoma is not ready at this level with zero experience.

Tanganga is just getting started with 2 games under his belt.

We had to sign Toby really, if only to hand down experience and guide these young centre backs to learn.

I personally would be horrified if we went into a season with those 4, and I am not sure if all of them are prem quality.

Back
Top Bottom