Andy Najar

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

mdiver said:
DCspurs said:
mdiver said:
I have this argument all the time guys what with being a Brit living in Tampa. My retort is usually a combination of the following:

"Look up FIFA and UEFA and see if you can see the word soccer in there"
"You speak English right? Well it is called Football so if you want to call it soccer, fuck off and invent your own language, just don't call in English"

I'd probably counter with...
"FIFA is a French acronym and translated is International Federation of Association Football. We take Association, you take Football." I would also conveniently ignore the UEFA part of the comment haha.
"That's right, I speak American." <--and I would probably shudder on the inside, only saying it to annoy you

errr Association is an "association" of teams that PLAY FOOTBALL.

And yes...it makes me shudder!

Not saying you wouldn't win the argument lol. I've done a good job weaning myself off the term. I get looks now from common folk for calling it football. Their problem, not mine.

The word "soccer" was the most common way of referring to football in the UK until around the 1970s, when it began to be perceived incorrectly as an Americanism.

The term soccer originated in England, first appearing in the 1880s as an Oxford "-er" abbreviation of the word "association"

Within the English-speaking world, association football is usually called football (or colloquially footy) in the United Kingdom, and soccer in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and the United States.

In Northern Ireland it has a religious element too. When Catholics talk about football they are referring to Gaelic football and football is called soccer, but if you're a Protestant football is football and Gaelic football is totally ignored and anybody who talks about soccer is usually taken outside...

Keeping the MLS theme without starting another thread...this is an interesting read.

http://espn.go.com/sports/soccer/news/_ ... er-leagues

It's a good overview of how odd the economics are in MLS and how that in turn makes it very difficult to compare to other leagues. I never really sat back and thought about how wide the talent gap is from top to bottom compared to other leagues. But with the league wanting to bring in/keep big names for lots of cash for the purpose of raising the league's profile, I guess it's understandable. While it still is way behind overall on the world stage, I have to agree that the overall quality of play has certainly been steadily increasing.

I was also surprised to read that MLS has just passed the Championship in terms of attendance. Though Seattle and the addition of Vancouver and Portland this year helped that out a bit.

mdiver said:
Anybody that calls it soccer is a cunt.....end of!
14884.jpg

GinolaGazza said:
Football should be Football or Futebol or Fútbol

Americans should call it football and name their other game "Fucked up Rugby throwy catchy who gives a fuck ball"

I prefer Spandex Ass Grabball

ArtyB said:
In Northern Ireland it has a religious element too. When Catholics talk about football they are referring to Gaelic football and football is called soccer, but if you're a Protestant football is football and Gaelic football is totally ignored and anybody who talks about soccer is usually taken outside...

pretty much bollox, I grew up in Norn Iron and it's universally called football by everyone Catholics and Prods alike

wrong, it should be called 'a complete fucking waste of 9 hours' (or however long it ends up being).

it is the sports equivalent of a freak show. is it me, or does no player actually play longer than about 2 minutes a game?!?!? forgive me for my ignorance my american freinds......

the only thing i dig about american football is that it is a level playing field. that is it.

Paydro said:
ArtyB said:

pretty much bollox, I grew up in Norn Iron and it's universally called football by everyone Catholics and Prods alike

Sorry to disappoint, I live in Northern Ireland and that's the way it is now...In fact on the now PC NI BBC the term soccer is used so as not to offend.

ah well I left in '94 but I've got afew Irish friends who call it football and just call gaelic footy gaelic

times change I guess but Norn Iron is still a shite place to live lol they went through the whole police reform a good few years ago getting rid of the RUC and bringing in the new police force of norn iron shit hows that goin lol are they nicer

Paydro said:
ah well I left in '94 but I've got afew Irish friends who call it football and just call gaelic footy gaelic

times change I guess but Norn Iron is still a shite place to live lol they went through the whole police reform a good few years ago getting rid of the RUC and bringing in the new police force of norn iron shit hows that goin lol are they nicer

You know how everything changes but still stays the same? Well it's like that...

To be fair, in mixed areas it's pretty much as you say, but if you are in South Armagh or such like and someone asks you about the football, just be careful how you answer...it's the standard question used to weed out the religion of strangers...

Back
Top Bottom