Alan Gilzean

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The club tweeted the very sad news that Alan Gilzean has recently been diagnosed with a brain tumour. :( Apologies if this is in the wrong place; I couldn't find a thread dedicated to the great man.

A one-off, no doubt. So deserving of the "King of White Hart Lane" mantle. Gillie and Greavsie were a lethal partnership. I hope he gets the right treatment so that we see him back at the Lane. Considering we didn't see him for decades, it's been great to have him back.

Sad news indeed. My old man took me to see a friendly between Stevenage and Spurs in the early/mid 70s. The old fella was doing some decorating work for him at the time.
I remember it seeming a bit weird that I was supporting Spurs rather than my "Home Town club" at the time. That feeling soon disappeared mind. There was a fair few Spurs bigwigs at that game, my dad told me, turning out to support Gilzean in his first proper management role.

A unique player. Gordon banks said that he was his most difficult opponent, Greaves said he was the greatest he ever played with.
He played with a swagger and style, that epitomised the archetypal Tottenham player. His most famous quote was, "Once a Tottenham man, always a Tottenham man' he hated Woolwich, and the fans absolutely adored him.
Get well Gilly, there are no more like you.

Alan Gilzean - the original King of White Hart Lane.

I'm reading The Glory Game at the moment, nearly finished it, brilliant book about the season we won the UEFA Cup and Gilly is mentioned in it loads so this is horrible news.

When they talk about the term; 'legends & genius' in the modern game being watered down, beacase the players they refer to have only had one or two good seasons....
Alan Gilzean is the type of player they SHOULD be referring to!

True Tottenham Legend.
Get well soon Big Man.

He said; Tottenham Hotspur was very good for me. What player`s lack today is what club is good for them. It`s all about the money not what is good for them.

Best header of the ball I have ever seen. The number of flick on's from corners created so many goals. Chivers had a long throw and when he got a throw in an attacking area everyone in the ground knew where it was going and yet Gilly still got it despite being marked and it invariably went where he wanted it to one of our players. Truly a legend.

A one-off, no doubt. So deserving of the "King of White Hart Lane" mantle. Gillie and Greavsie were a lethal partnership. I hope he gets the right treatment so that we see him back at the Lane. Considering we didn't see him for decades, it's been great to have him back.

The ‘G’ men as they were known

Loved the guy

Back
Top Bottom