ACN - Ade & BAE

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Blanchflower

Supporter
07-09/09/12: Cape Verde v Cameroon
12-14/10/12: Cameroon v Cape Verde :baelol:

07-09/09/12: Gabon v Togo
12-14/10/12: Togo v Gabon :adestare:

Straight knockout qualifiers - not sure I can see either losing.... :klinsmann:

Gabon are ranked 44th in the world and Togo 99th.

I'd be surprised to see Togo win, Gabon played at the last AFCON and also at the Olympics, only losing on penalties in the quarter-finals in January.

Cameroon is a different kettle of fish though, they will be there.

SadlerTHFC said:
I swear it didn't used to be on every year and just an every 2 year thing or something?

You would be correct, it is running 2 years as part of a switchover so it does not run in the same calendar year as the world cup.

At first, every two years seems excessive. But a lot of the African nations don't exactly get much change out of the world cup. European nations play in international tournaments every two years. So I can understand why they do it in a way. Why should Togo or Botswana have to wait four years to be in a tourny when we only wait two? Although my logic's probably screwed somewhere.

S.L.R said:
At first, every two years seems excessive. But a lot of the African nations don't exactly get much change out of the world cup. European nations play in international tournaments every two years. So I can understand why they do it in a way. Why should Togo or Botswana have to wait four years to be in a tourny when we only wait two? Although my logic's probably screwed somewhere.

But that's like us having the European Championships every 2 years.

Nah Cripps what I mean is, we have euros, then two years later world cup, then two years later euros... Just saying lots of the African nations won't get to the world cup, so if the ANC is every four years they wait four years for competitive international football whereas the majority of Europe waits two years. This is based on my perception that there are less African nations at the WC than European ones so I could be completely wrong there

S.L.R said:
Nah Cripps what I mean is, we have euros, then two years later world cup, then two years later euros... Just saying lots of the African nations won't get to the world cup, so if the ANC is every four years they wait four years for competitive international football whereas the majority of Europe waits two years. This is based on my perception that there are less African nations at the WC than European ones so I could be completely wrong there
A quick Google revealed that there were 6 CAF teams and 13 UEFA teams at the last World Cup.

ollieXcore said:
A quick Google revealed that there were 6 CAF teams and 13 UEFA teams at the last World Cup.
UEFA is made up of 54 FAs, whereas CAF is made up of 56. Furthermore, CAF will only send 5 teams to Rio.

So, do the math.

Numberwang_by_OcelotSnake89.jpg

Éperons said:
ollieXcore said:
UEFA is made up of 54 FAs, whereas CAF is made up of 56. Furthermore, CAF will only send 5 teams to Rio.

So, do the math.
S. MathS.

Corrigan.jpg

Sidenote: We have a Partridge smiley, why don't we have a Corrigan smiley?

YidoBuckler said:
Gabon are ranked 44th in the world and Togo 99th.

I'd be surprised to see Togo win, Gabon played at the last AFCON and also at the Olympics, only losing on penalties in the quarter-finals in January.

Cameroon is a different kettle of fish though, they will be there.

Gabon were leading at home with 15 minutes left until a certain E.S. Adebayor scored an equaliser, however Cameroon lost 2-0 away, so a bit of a mixed bag.

Back
Top Bottom