Academy Successes - Best in the Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Anyone who follows the academy knows that the lads coming through now in the 16 - 19 age group are something special.

Potentially between 6 - 10 Premier League players in those 3 year groups in my opinion, with 2 or 3 of those almost nailed on.

Carter-Vickers, Onomah, Veljkovic, Walker-Peters, Azzaoui, Winks, Oduwa, Ogilvie, Edwards, Georgiou, Maghoma.

All of those have the potential to play at the top level if they keep developing how they are currently, and keep their attitude up.

You saying even more impressive than the Kane, Mason, Bentaleb, Pritchard, Rose age group then at the same age?

You saying even more impressive than the Kane, Mason, Bentaleb, Pritchard, Rose age group then at the same age?
Probably, yes. That isn't to say for sure they will become better in a few years, there is a lot of development left, but I will be disappointed if none of them become first team regulars at Spurs. Disappointed and very surprised.

Heard good things about Azzaoui but know little of him myself. Can you shed some light?
Belgian winger we took from Anderlecht, just turned 17. First played for us in a tournament in Dusseldorf just under a year ago and really impressed me then. Very capable of taking on a man, and almost always tries to. First time I saw him he clearly had talent but needed to know when to release, and work on that final ball. He's now developing that and seems to score almost every game for the U18s (5 in 3 in the FA Youth Cup).

Probably, yes. That isn't to say for sure they will become better in a few years, there is a lot of development left, but I will be disappointed if none of them become first team regulars at Spurs. Disappointed and very surprised.

Almost makes the point of clearing the deadwood at the lane like paulinho more important so we can give a chance to the next lot.

Belgian winger we took from Anderlecht, just turned 17. First played for us in a tournament in Dusseldorf just under a year ago and really impressed me then. Very capable of taking on a man, and almost always tries to. First time I saw him he clearly had talent but needed to know when to release, and work on that final ball. He's now developing that and seems to score almost every game for the U18s (5 in 3 in the FA Youth Cup).
Everytime I see highlights of our U18s he seems to be on the scoresheet. Seems like a brilliant finisher. The goal against Man U a few days ago was gold. A high and hard finish right down the middle over a sliding keeper. Hard to teach that to a 17 year old.

Anyone who follows the academy knows that the lads coming through now in the 16 - 19 age group are something special.

Potentially between 6 - 10 Premier League players in those 3 year groups in my opinion, with 2 or 3 of those almost nailed on.

Carter-Vickers, Onomah, Veljkovic, Walker-Peters, Azzaoui, Winks, Oduwa, Ogilvie, Edwards, Georgiou, Maghoma.

All of those have the potential to play at the top level if they keep developing how they are currently, and keep their attitude up.

Good list. And after those we have young Bennetts too, 15 years old who England and Germany have been fighting over!

There isn't a top ten side in the league that is more reliant on academy players than we are. No one even close really. Ultimately it is between us in Southampton for best current academy, we have more academy players in our team now than they do but obviously they sold off three quality ones this summer.

It has been said over and over but it is crazy that those who follow it closely say that our current generation of academy boys is better than they've ever seen. Obviously they won't all be Harry Kanes as he's improved greatly since joining our first team but if we can get another crop of players at the level of Mason, Bentaleb, etc. that would be immense.

Kind of a mix up of threads here (with the transfer window threads) so I'm sorry if it comes across a bit hotch potch.
Would have loved to have seen a top quality striker last summer (& in January, but by then only a back up to Sir Harry)- but then how likely would Kane's meteoric rise to prominence have been? Not very, at a guess. So in a way, using the academy lads & integrating them has got the fans very vocal & enthusiastic again- something that has been missing for quite a while now. IF there are more high grade lads coming through, as people on here who go to the Youth games are confident there will be (& the people who watch are best placed to call this) then maybe, just maybe a lot of people (myself included) should be a little more patient & a little less disappointed at our "zero net spend". I totally think that everyone has seen enough of Poch already to say he can be trusted to get things as right as humanly possible & should be backed by the board if he identifies the player(s) he wants to either replace with better, or supplement what he already has. At the start of the season, our youngsters weren't very highly fancied to do well. But they have proven everyone wrong with some truly memorable performances. Of course they will get tired with our schedule & will have off days, but even when they do (like last night) they are capable of running liverpool very close on their own patch- something only 7 Spurs teams have managed to better in our entire history! I do think we need some experienced heads in that team (hence why I think Soldado has been retained) but if the academy keeps producing talent like this then the days of the team of expensive foreign imports (with all the associated risks) may be a thing of the past. A team "full of our own" competing at the highest level would be a thing of pure joy.

Last edited:
SpursLegend SpursLegend WindyCOYS WindyCOYS I trust you too implicitly when it comes to our youth setup, so I was wondering, which of our current crop of U18's and U21's you would put your house on having an impact for the first team.

From what I have seen, the dead certs would be Onomah and CCV. I would love to say the same of KWP but worry that his size might hold him back.

We're good compared to the rest of the league, but I feel the PL is in a bit of a 90s Serie A style bubble with the buying of foreign players. Soton, under Pochettino reminded everyone that there was an alternative, and we luckily had already drunk the same Kool-Aid, even if the managers at the time (Redknapp and AVB) hadn't.

Still, I think it's going to get even better, as we'll be seeing a lot more of the lads coming through within the next 18 months. It's paying pretty clear dividends on the pitch and in the stands, so it's not like we're going to back off on this approach.

Levy is the only one to have been here this whole time..he saw the light some years ago.

Kind of a mix up of threads here (with the transfer window threads) so I'm sorry if it comes across a bit hotch potch.
Would have loved to have seen a top quality striker last summer (& in January, but by then only a back up to Sir Harry)- but then how likely would Kane's meteoric rise to prominence have been? Not very, at a guess. So in a way, using the academy lads & integrating them has got the fans very vocal & enthusiastic again- something that has been missing for quite a while now. IF there are more high grade lads coming through, as people on here who go to the Youth games are confident there will be (& the people who watch are best placed to call this) then maybe, just maybe a lot of people (myself included) should be a little more patient & a little less disappointed at our "zero net spend". I totally think that everyone has seen enough of Poch already to say he can be trusted to get things as right as humanly possible & should be backed by the board if he identifies the player(s) he wants to either replace with better, or supplement what he already has. At the start of the season, our youngsters weren't very highly fancied to do well. But they have proven everyone wrong with some truly memorable performances. Of course they will get tired with our schedule & will have off days, but even when they do (like last night) they are capable of running liverpool very close on their own patch- something only 7 Spurs teams have managed to better in our entire history! I do think we need some experienced heads in that team (hence why I think Soldado has been retained) but if the academy keeps producing talent like this then the days of the team of expensive foreign imports (with all the associated risks) may be a thing of the past. A team "full of our own" competing at the highest level would be a thing of pure joy.

What the hell is a top level striker? We spunked 28m on an apparent "top level striker' and look what that got us.

SpursLegend SpursLegend WindyCOYS WindyCOYS I trust you too implicitly when it comes to our youth setup, so I was wondering, which of our current crop of U18's and U21's you would put your house on having an impact for the first team.

From what I have seen, the dead certs would be Onomah and CCV. I would love to say the same of KWP but worry that his size might hold him back.

I wouldn't say I'm dead certain on it, but have a close look at winks....his a top top talent

Back
Top Bottom