Academy Successes - Best in the Country?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

What the hell is a top level striker? We spunked 28m on an apparent "top level striker' and look what that got us.
A top quality striker, to me, is one proven in our league- Bony for example, or at the highest level- Soldado for example. But the point is, had we made such a signing, whilst it would have satisfied the "big club, big signing, shows ambition" part of a lot of fans (myself included), we would not have seen Harry Kane rise to the fore. He would have remained a "prospect" on the bench/on loan. With the benefit of hindsight, that would have been a disaster for the player & the club. As you rightly say, we may have spunked a huge amount of money on a flop. It's hardly worked out with Bobby & it would have hindered Harry's progress. That was the point of the posting. We may as well just sit back & let Poch do his thing:pochsmirk:

What the hell is a top level striker? We spunked 28m on an apparent "top level striker' and look what that got us.
zlat_2663474b.jpg

A top quality striker, to me, is one proven in our league- Bony for example, or at the highest level- Soldado for example. But the point is, had we made such a signing, whilst it would have satisfied the "big club, big signing, shows ambition" part of a lot of fans (myself included), we would not have seen Harry Kane rise to the fore. He would have remained a "prospect" on the bench/on loan. With the benefit of hindsight, that would have been a disaster for the player & the club. As you rightly say, we may have spunked a huge amount of money on a flop. It's hardly worked out with Bobby & it would have hindered Harry's progress. That was the point of the posting. We may as well just sit back & let Poch do his thing:pochsmirk:

There is an element of scouting though, Soldado is slow and not very strong relying on other players to set him up, quite simply not suited to the prem. People at the club are paid to identify top targets who would suit us and we ended up with Paulinho, Soldado and Capoue none of whom even looked that great under no tactics Tim let alone high tempo Poch.

That 26 million we spent hangs on us badly, we should not give up taking risks and spending some good cash just because we bought badly with the Bale money, 30 mil Sanchez has carried Woolwich for much of this season. If Poch is happy just promoting youth thats fine, but if he wants a top class striker to complement Kane and it costs 20 mil I think the least we owe him is some backing, one or two top signings could take us to the next level, we need to put the Baldini fuck ups behind us.

SpursLegend SpursLegend WindyCOYS WindyCOYS I trust you too implicitly when it comes to our youth setup, so I was wondering, which of our current crop of U18's and U21's you would put your house on having an impact for the first team.

From what I have seen, the dead certs would be Onomah and CCV. I would love to say the same of KWP but worry that his size might hold him back.
Depends what you mean by 'an impact'. There are so many of them that I really think can be squad members for us. In terms of regular first-teamers I think Onomah, Carter-Vickers and Walker-Peters can make it.

Honestly, I could list another 10 that have a chance of making 10+ appearances. I still think Ogilvie, Oduwa and Winks can play for us too, even though all three have gone a bit quiet - due to injuries, lack of competitive games, etc.

I don't want to rave about Edwards too much as he's only played a handful of Under-18 games, but he looks an unbelievable prospect.

Depends what you mean by 'an impact'. There are so many of them that I really think can be squad members for us. In terms of regular first-teamers I think Onomah, Carter-Vickers and Walker-Peters can make it.

Honestly, I could list another 10 that have a chance of making 10+ appearances. I still think Ogilvie, Oduwa and Winks can play for us too, even though all three have gone a bit quiet - due to injuries, lack of competitive games, etc.

I don't want to rave about Edwards too much as he's only played a handful of Under-18 games, but he looks an unbelievable prospect.
Steffan Freund, in that interview recently, explicitly said he thought Onomah could start right now. That's a hell of a vote of confidence from someone in a position to know.

There is an element of scouting though, Soldado is slow and not very strong relying on other players to set him up, quite simply not suited to the prem. People at the club are paid to identify top targets who would suit us and we ended up with Paulinho, Soldado and Capoue none of whom even looked that great under no tactics Tim let alone high tempo Poch.

That 26 million we spent hangs on us badly, we should not give up taking risks and spending some good cash just because we bought badly with the Bale money, 30 mil Sanchez has carried Woolwich for much of this season. If Poch is happy just promoting youth thats fine, but if he wants a top class striker to complement Kane and it costs 20 mil I think the least we owe him is some backing, one or two top signings could take us to the next level, we need to put the Baldini fuck ups behind us.
The problem with us is that we don't have CL and can't attract players like Sanchez from Barca. Everyone knew he was quality. They couldn't fail with him IMO. We don't have that luxery and have to go after players that aren't proven at the top level like the players that CL squads can attract. We can attract like Soldado, Lamela, Paulinho that are playing for slightly smaller sides looking for a step up. Not players like Ozil and Sanchez that are looking for a slight step down and playing time. The first group of players are a risk. The second group have a much smaller risk.

I think I'm with Boltonspur on this one. We don't have a very good record with shelling out money. We have a much better one when we are reserved. Hopefully we can focus on youth, target players like Chadli that aren't expensive, and keep hold of our top players and I think we'll be a quality side if we can do those three.

Southampton is streets ahead, just off the top of my head...

And West Hams is pretty decent

Defoe
Joe Cole
Lampard
Carrick
Rio Ferdinand
Tomkins
Noble
Glenn Johnson

For what it's worth, Arry said West Ham got lucky, the last player they produced that made the first team
before this was Tony Cottee .
:harrysmile:

Defoe was an expensive teenager from Charlton, and spent a lot of time at
the FA School of Excellence at Lilleshall

For what it's worth, Arry said West Ham got lucky, the last player they produced that made the first team
before this was Tony Cottee .
:harrysmile:

Defoe was an expensive teenager from Charlton, and spent a lot of time at
the FA School of Excellence at Lilleshall
Someone somewhere in their set up did their job to a very high level. Some serious top class talent have in fairness come through their academy..

How many times a day are you asked that question lol

Richardo Moniz is an proponent of Coever Coaching

http://fiveinmidfield.com/2012/05/1...ver-and-the-philosophy-that-changed-football/

From Wiki
Wiel Coerver (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈʋil ˈkur.vər]; 3 December 1924 – 22 April 2011) was an association football managerfrom the Netherlands and the developer of the Coerver Method, a football coaching technique. He won the UEFA Cupwith Feyenoord Rotterdam in the 1973–1974 season.[1]

Coerver, who was born in Kerkrade, Limburg, was nicknamed “the Albert Einstein of Football”. He died in Kerkrade

The Coerver Method is a football coaching technique which Coerver created. By analysing videotapes of various great players including Pelé, he devised a new concept in football which advocates that skill could not only be inherent with the young players but could also be passed on in a comprehensive academic way. Under this technique, players progress in a structured manner, pyramidal, from basics of ball mastery to a tactically driven group attack. They would be exposed to the other essentials like Receiving and Passing, Moves (1v1), Speed and Lethal Finishing.[2]

The 1998 FIFA World Cup in France saw the first Coerver student, Boudewijn Zenden who played for the Netherlands national football team, make it to the FIFA World Cup.

Tottenham could soon be hailed as the new Academy of Football as West Ham United's production line continues to stutter
  • For years West Ham have been known as the Academy of Football
  • But rivals Tottenham are fast making a case for that accolade
  • Spurs striker Harry Kane has been a revelation at the club this season
  • The striker is expected to break into the England squad next month

For years, West Ham have been famously known as the Academy of Football, renowned for producing great talents — but in future Tottenham could be hailed as the new production line.

Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Michael Carrick and Joe Cole are just a few of the household names who have come through the ranks at Upton Park.

But the Hammers were forced to sell them all and have struggled to keep the same standard of players progressing into the first-team.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ion-line-continues-stutter.html#ixzz3SVcMn2PP

Back
Top Bottom